Delray Signal Replacements

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
ConrailDetr​oit
Railroadfan...fan

Delray Signal Replacements

Unread post by ConrailDetr​oit »

The NS is replacing signals for their trackage through Delray. The Livernois Industrial, Old Main, and East and West Mains on the Boat Line have masts installed.

The searchlight and dwarf on the Boat Line will be gone, as well as the dwarf signal for Eastbounds on the Westbound Main.

The Conrail signals remain on the Detroit Line, and the CSX Tower, for now.

Typhoon
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Delray Signal Replacements

Unread post by Typhoon »

No doubt part of the project to convert the interlocking to dispatcher control. End of the third quarter is what I am hearing, going to the RN.

GTW6401
how bout no

Unread post by GTW6401 »

New northbound signals are in on the Conrail side as well. They are way further back near the expressway overpass.

GP30M4216
Saver of all History

Unread post by GP30M4216 »

Interesting that the new CR northbound signals would be so much further from the diamond and crossing, shortening the already small block between Delray and the now-remote Bridge. Are any track layout changes planned? I wonder if they plan to install a crossover between the new northbound home signal and the Dearborn crossing?

On that subject, I wonder if the old NS eastbound main track is worth keeping From in front of the tower through the diamonds? Does anything even use this track anymore?

ConrailDetr​oit
Railroadfan...fan

GP30M4216 wrote:
Wed Sep 02, 2020 9:50 am
Interesting that the new CR northbound signals would be so much further from the diamond and crossing, shortening the already small block between Delray and the now-remote Bridge. Are any track layout changes planned? I wonder if they plan to install a crossover between the new northbound home signal and the Dearborn crossing?

On that subject, I wonder if the old NS eastbound main track is worth keeping From in front of the tower through the diamonds? Does anything even use this track anymore?
A Northbound can crossover 2 to 1 at YD or 1 to 2 at the Conrail Bridge. A new crossover at Delray would not be necessary.

Possibly BD-07 will use the Eastbound Main but likely not worth keeping anymore.

ConrailDetr​oit
Railroadfan...fan

DaveO
Read more, think more, post less

Unread post by DaveO »

Electronic bell not mounted at the top of the pole. Don't think I've ever seen it done that way before.

TrainWatcher
The Beast

The End of Delray Tower

Unread post by TrainWatcher »

Might as well post it here in case anyone isnt aware, word on the street is signal cutover at Delray is November 17th, with control going that day from the tower to Jacksonville. Other reports say the operators might be on until springtime. In any case, the time is neigh for Michigan's last manned interlocking tower.

KenB
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by KenB »

Delray is NOT the last maned interlocking tower. The last maned interlocking tower crown will go to the Short Cut bridge of the Delray Connecting RR.
The operator there controls the Short Cut draw bridge, the interlocking at CN BELANGER where the Conrail crosses the CN (ex-DT&I) now leased to the DCRR and the CN line from Great Lakes Ave to Zug Island under manual block.
While not maned 24, 7 anymore when the DCRR or CN have to go to/from island an operator is on duty. Latley the NS has been delivering coiled steel from Gary, Ind to the DCRR for them to take to Ecorse for finishing. At times CN has been taking coke off the island too.

Tom49801
Bangor Webcam Master

Unread post by Tom49801 »

DaveO wrote:
Sun Sep 06, 2020 12:24 pm
Electronic bell not mounted at the top of the pole. Don't think I've ever seen it done that way before.
The N. Center Street crossing mp CG60.35 in Bangor, Michigan has their electronic bell installed like that.

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Unread post by Saturnalia »

Tom49801 wrote:
Tue Oct 27, 2020 10:12 am
DaveO wrote:
The N. Center Street crossing mp CG60.35 in Bangor, Michigan has their electronic bell installed like that.
I’ve been seeing more and more crossings done this way. My best guess is so that they are mounted lower to the ground and thus easier and safer for a signal maintainer to get to in case of failure.
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

Talk
Keeps Talking

Unread post by Talk »

Tom49801 wrote:
DaveO wrote:
There is one in Hope College in Holland, Michigan also

CR900945
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by CR900945 »

Interesting that the new signal which is taller than the old one is closer to the freeway overpass making it more difficult to see the upper head when approaching it.

M.D.Bentley
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by M.D.Bentley »

CR900945 wrote:
Wed Nov 04, 2020 12:21 pm
Interesting that the new signal which is taller than the old one is closer to the freeway overpass making it more difficult to see the upper head when approaching it.
YUP. Crews are already commenting on that. Maybe they can raise the freeway a bit :D :D :D

GP30M4216
Saver of all History

Unread post by GP30M4216 »

Saturnalia wrote:
Tue Oct 27, 2020 12:48 pm
Tom49801 wrote:
DaveO wrote:
I’ve been seeing more and more crossings done this way. My best guess is so that they are mounted lower to the ground and thus easier and safer for a signal maintainer to get to in case of failure.
I hadn't thought about the maintenance factor, I figured it was a sound thing. Let's be honest, the new e-bells don't have the same intensity or volume as an actual mechanical bell. Placed up top of a taller crossbuck pole, the sound truly doesn't carry in the same way. I figured if mounted down lower, closer to eye - I mean ear - level, it would be more apparent. CSX has several new installations like this around West Michigan.

RRguy
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by RRguy »

Saturnalia is right, it’s much easier and safer for a maintainer to replace it when it is lower.