Frankfort Question

Any historical questions can be posted here. Answers would certainly help as well :)
joeyuboats
Railroadfan...fan

Frankfort Question

Unread post by joeyuboats »

Back when the AA ran to Frankfort/Elberta, I understand they had a short branch that went into Frankfort to serve a few customers. Who were they, and how long did this last? Thanks in advance.

Doktor No
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Frankfort Question

Unread post by Doktor No »

The cherry cannery and I believe Harris Pie were the last two customers. Lasted until the whole thing came up well after ferry service stopped. Last loads were reefers of cherries etc, etc. Or maybe it was frozen pies. Last loads were in ATSF diesel powered refrigerator cars IIRC.
Curb Your Enthusiasm.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

As Dok said it was most likely Pets Pies but Mitchell also shipped out some cars near the very end IIRC
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

SW
Rail Trail Explorer

Unread post by SW »

Somewhere I read that near the end Pet received tank cars of fish oil occasionally.
Owosso Steve

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

I don't know if it was fish oil. Perhaps some kind of liquid sweetener most likely.
SW wrote:
Sun Jul 26, 2020 7:47 pm
Somewhere I read that near the end Pet received tank cars of fish oil occasionally.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

Steve B
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Steve B »

Pet Milk RR mention
Pet Milk RR mention
A Free Press article from 10/7/1985, published just after the "Annie Rambler" excursion to Frankfort, says "once or twice a week with a car of fish oil for the Pet Milk plant." It's not clear if the deliveries had just stopped, or very soon would. Many here would really like to know the date of the last revenue move from Frankfort.

SW
Rail Trail Explorer

Unread post by SW »

That was the exact article! Thanks for posting!
Owosso Steve

hoborich
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by hoborich »

More importantly, what was Pet Milk doing with fish oil?
"Ask your doctor if medical advice from a TV commercial is right for you".

Steve B
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Steve B »

hoborich wrote:
Mon Jul 27, 2020 8:52 pm
Unfortunately the article's author, Harry Cook, died in 2017. Absent input from Pet Milk veterans or those familiar with its processes, who knows? Maybe Cook named the wrong product. I briefly looked up industrial uses of fish oil, but the results were inconclusive...

James Sofonia
Grand Traverse Dinner Train 1996

Unread post by James Sofonia »

I don't know why but I somehow remember the company as "Pet Foods" rather than "Pet Milk". A variety of food products for people, not your pet. So the fish oil could have been used for a lot of stuff.

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

Pixl wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 8:36 am
I don't know why but I somehow remember the company as "Pet Foods" rather than "Pet Milk". A variety of food products for people, not your pet. So the fish oil could have been used for a lot of stuff.
Pet Milk is evaporated milk, nothing to do with actual pets.

"PET Evaporated Milk is a homogenized concentrate made from fresh, whole cow's milk with approximately half of the natural water removed, then fortified with Vitamin D. It consists of about 6.5% milk fat"
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/

fmilhaupt
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by fmilhaupt »

There was also a Standard Oil depot on the Frankfort side of the lake into at least the late 1950s.

There are a couple of color photos of it in Steve Hile's book on the UTLX tank car fleet.
-Fritz Milhaupt

LansingRailFan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by LansingRailFan »

What’s the link to the article

C&O Dispatcher
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by C&O Dispatcher »

Presuming you've already seen the photo in this link.

http://www.michiganrailroads.com/statio ... ankfort-mi

Steve B
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Steve B »

LansingRailFan wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 9:14 am
What’s the link to the article
Newspapers.com is a pay site. $150/yr for the "Publisher Extra" version includes the Free Press. MSU and the Library of Michigan have it on microfilm, when they reopen.

There's nothing useful for this thread in there beyond that screenshot. Good thoughtful commentary on the state of railroads, though.

Standard Railfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Standard Railfan »

Steve B wrote:
Mon Jul 27, 2020 10:35 pm
hoborich wrote:
Mon Jul 27, 2020 8:52 pm
Unfortunately the article's author, Harry Cook, died in 2017. Absent input from Pet Milk veterans or those familiar with its processes, who knows? Maybe Cook named the wrong product. I briefly looked up industrial uses of fish oil, but the results were inconclusive...
The Pet Foods plant in Frankfort made fruit/ vegetable based products. Pie filling was a major product IIRC.

I conducted a lubrication survey there circa 1990. I do not remember fish oil being used in the process.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

The inbound mechanical refrigerators were fruits from the west. When the ferries operated they would come over on the ferry and go directly to the plant.

I'm still suspect that they received fish oil but I may be wrong :?
Standard Railfan wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 2:43 pm
The Pet Foods plant in Frankfort made fruit/ vegetable based products. Pie filling was a major product IIRC.

I conducted a lubrication survey there circa 1990. I do not remember fish oil being used in the process.

Standard Railfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Standard Railfan »

AARR wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 2:52 pm
The inbound mechanical refrigerators were fruits from the west. When the ferries operated they would come over on the ferry and go directly to the plant.

I'm still suspect that they received fish oil but I may be wrong :?
I am inclined to agree with you. I would expect a vegetable oil or palm oil or shortening. If it was fish oil I would be interested in learning how Pet used it.