PH&D customer question

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
joeyuboats
Railroadfan...fan

PH&D customer question

Unread post by joeyuboats »

I am aware that long ago the PH&D railroad served Chris-Craft boats, on its extreme south end. But, between the power plant and Marine City, did it have any customers? Thank you in advance.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Re: PH&D customer question

Unread post by AARR »

There was a small plant in Marine City that shipped automotive parts by rail. When they stopped the line was removed. There my have been a small lumber yard in Marine City too.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

GreatLakesRailfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GreatLakesRailfan »

As far as I am aware, there was no customer between the power plants and MC, although there were quite a few customers in MC at one time. A list of customers between 1920 and 1929 shows 21 customers in MC and what they shipped/received. I don't have an electronic copy of anything to post, but by the 1940's the list was down to 8 customers and there were just 5 in MC by the 1980's, including ChrisCraft.

Detroit Gasket could be the plant AARR referred to. It was between High and Jefferson streets. The lumberyard (M&D, according to a line map from the 1940's in the PH&D RRHS Modeling Guide, which is currently out of print) was also a customer, and was between Lowell Street and Backus Avenue, west of the line. Across the line was Roberts Coal Company.

The ChrisCraft railroad (Algonac Transit Company) connected to the PH&D via the south leg of the wye at MC. Pac-Lite Products Company also was a MC customer, at least in later years. The 1940's line map shows Reed Products Co. between Parker Street and the east leg of the wye. Crampton Coal Company was east of Parker and north of Chartier Avenue. There may have been a switch into Superior Concrete, whose property was on the south side of the sugar factory. I'm not familiar enough with MC to know if there's still a concrete facility in that location. Superior was no longer shipping by the '80's. Stemaco is listed as a 1980's customer.
~ Charles W.

GTW6401
how bout no

Unread post by GTW6401 »

The stretch between St. Clair and Marine City was taken OOS in Spring 1987 after Detroit Gasket closed.