Where Is It?

Posts that don't fit in the other train categories. Off Subject Chit Chat I tell you. :)
Raildudes dad
Roadmaster

Re: Where Is It?

Unread post by Raildudes dad »

~Z~ wrote:Where be it? A fenced in piece of property eh?
Photo is taken from the Berry Junction Trail south of River Road. I laid out the Berry Junction Trail thru this property for the Muskegon County Road Commission. Designed that gate / fence for the chemical company. I have funny story about laying out the route for one of our meetups. Too long to type. It was a fun project.
If the plant isn't ready for the cars the RR leaves them here to get them out of North Yard. All hazmats

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

I didn't read the signs. My eyes can't see what they say anyway.
Michael wrote:I didn't even realize LC Howard was written on the trailer and the building :oops:
Oh well, you got it anyways AARR. Here is your chance for the trifecta
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

Michael
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Michael »

railrod1949 wrote:
Michael wrote:Image
Look like a centerbeam (unload plywoods) transloads somewhere in southeast Michigan. Off the connection with the Grand Elk, GLC, HESR, or the LSRC?

It's not southeast Michigan

railrod1949
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by railrod1949 »

Michael wrote:
railrod1949 wrote:
Look like a centerbeam (unload plywoods) transloads somewhere in southeast Michigan. Off the connection with the Grand Elk, GLC, HESR, or the LSRC?

It's not southeast Michigan
It is off the connection with the Grand Elk, GLC, HESR or the LSRC? If not, more hints please?

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Kalamazoo on CN's branch?
Look like a centerbeam (unload plywoods) transloads somewhere in southeast Michigan. Off the connection with the Grand Elk, GLC, HESR, or the LSRC? It's not southeast Michigan
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

Michael
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Michael »

AARR wrote:Kalamazoo on CN's branch?

It is not Kalamazoo or anywhere on CN. It is a transload location but not for lumber

railrod1949
Railroadfan...fan

Michael wrote:
AARR wrote:Kalamazoo on CN's branch?

It is not Kalamazoo or anywhere on CN. It is a transload location but not for lumber
It is on GLC, Grand Elk, LSRC or HESR?

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Someone told me where it is so I'm not going to guess. It's going to be a little difficult. Michael picked a very good location 8) .

Here's another hint. It's on GLC.
AARR wrote:Image

Jochs
Iron Horse Whisperer

Unread post by Jochs »

AARR wrote:Someone told me where it is so I'm not going to guess. It's going to be a little difficult. Michael picked a very good location 8) .

I guessed it immediately when you said that, based on the billboard in the background.
The GLC parallels US Hwy 131 from just north of Fife Lake, north to about Alba, at the 45th Parallel in Northern Michigan.

You can see two tracks, and it is double track through Kalkaska.
The google photo is from Kalkasa, MI.
Here is an overhead shot of the location from Google
kalkasa (2).png
It is in Kalkaska, MI.
Jeff O.
Celebrating 11 years dial-up free!

(18:36:45) MagnumForce: Railfanning is way more fun when you stop caring about locomotives and signals
(19:11:29) cbehr91: I can't believe I'm +1ing Brent but +1

railrod1949
Railroadfan...fan

Jochs wrote:
AARR wrote:Someone told me where it is so I'm not going to guess. It's going to be a little difficult. Michael picked a very good location 8) .

I guessed it immediately when you said that, based on the billboard in the background.
The GLC parallels US Hwy 131 from just north of Fife Lake, north to about Alba, at the 45th Parallel in Northern Michigan.

kalkasa (2).png
It is in Kalkaska, MI.
Agreed with Jochs. It's Kalkaska, MI in Kalkaska County. The street in the foreground is Maple Street with the GLC in the background. Final run of the remaining passenger train on the old Pennsylvania RR trackage between Fort Wayne, IN and Mackinaw City was made on Saturday. September 2, 1961 (northbound) and Monday, September 4. 1961 southbound. Summer Only passenger train. The transloads at Kalkaska are Mangum Solvent and Michcom transloads. They use tank cars which are parked on the sidings in Kalkaska.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Nice job Jochs! They used to unload drilling sand at the end of this spur. The sand was in totes loaded in BN box cars. They haven't received any cars in 8-10 years.

The methanol is unloaded at the end of the passing track at the north end of town. At least that's where it was unloaded. It may have changed since they need the passing track for the tank cars loaded at the gas plant south of town.
railrod1949 wrote:Someone told me where it is so I'm not going to guess. It's going to be a little difficult. Michael picked a very good location 8) .

I guessed it immediately when you said that, based on the billboard in the background. The GLC parallels US Hwy 131 from just north of Fife Lake, north to about Alba, at the 45th Parallel in Northern Michigan. You can see two tracks, and it is double track through Kalkaska. The google photo is from Kalkasa, MI. Here is an overhead shot of the location from Google
kalkasa (2).png
It is in Kalkaska, MI.

Agreed with Jochs. It's Kalkaska, MI in Kalkaska County. The street in the foreground is Maple Street with the GLC in the background. Final run of the remaining passenger train on the old Pennsylvania RR trackage between Fort Wayne, IN and Mackinaw City was made on Saturday. September 2, 1961 (northbound) and Monday, September 4. 1961 southbound. Summer Only passenger train. The transloads at Kalkaska are Mangum Solvent and Michcom transloads. They use tank cars which are parked on the sidings in Kalkaska.

Michael
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Michael »

Well done Jochs. Here is an easier one

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Another great location Michael. And of course since it's "easier" I have no idea where it is :oops: . Is it in the Down River Detroit area?
Michael wrote:Well done Jochs. Here is an easier one

DaveO
Read more, think more, post less

Unread post by DaveO »

AARR wrote:Another great location Michael. And of course since it's "easier" I have no idea where it is :oops: . Is it in the Down River Detroit area?

What that pole is used for and would be near is a good clue to work with.

railrod1949
Railroadfan...fan

DaveO wrote:
AARR wrote:Another great location Michael. And of course since it's "easier" I have no idea where it is :oops: . Is it in the Down River Detroit area?

What that pole is used for and would be near is a good clue to work with.
It is within the City of Detroit? If not. hint please?

Jochs
Iron Horse Whisperer

Unread post by Jochs »

AARR wrote:Nice job Jochs! They used to unload drilling sand at the end of this spur. The sand was in totes loaded in BN box cars. They haven't received any cars in 8-10 years.

The methanol is unloaded at the end of the passing track at the north end of town. At least that's where it was unloaded. It may have changed since they need the passing track for the tank cars loaded at the gas plant south of town.
railrod1949 wrote:Someone told me where it is so I'm not going to guess. It's going to be a little difficult. Michael picked a very good location 8) .

I guessed it immediately when you said that, based on the billboard in the background. The GLC parallels US Hwy 131 from just north of Fife Lake, north to about Alba, at the 45th Parallel in Northern Michigan. You can see two tracks, and it is double track through Kalkaska. The google photo is from Kalkasa, MI. Here is an overhead shot of the location from Google
kalkasa (2).png
It is in Kalkaska, MI.

The billboard in the background and your clue that it was on the GLC helped tip me off. :)
It's been over a year since I've been to Kalkaska, as I did not go up north to morel hunt this year. In the past, I had stayed near there a couple of times at the North Country American Inn. The tracks are right across the street from that motel, but I never saw any trains because I don't think they run up there on weekends.

Back to the current "Where Did I Google" :lol:
Jeff O.
Celebrating 11 years dial-up free!

(18:36:45) MagnumForce: Railfanning is way more fun when you stop caring about locomotives and signals
(19:11:29) cbehr91: I can't believe I'm +1ing Brent but +1

cfriedri
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by cfriedri »

Intersection of Whitcomb and Fullerton in Detroit. Just off of I-96 looking northwest.
Connor

railrod1949
Railroadfan...fan

cfriedri wrote:
Intersection of Whitcomb and Fullerton in Detroit. Just off of I-96 looking northwest.
Yes indeed, its at the northwest of Whitcomb and Fullerton avenues which is in the northeast vicinity of I-96 and Greenfield Avenue in Detroit, Wayne County. The street to the right is Whitcomb Avenue. The spur is off the CSX's Fullerton Brach which is east off the CSX main line at Oak Yard. The blue building in the distance was Auction Block Division.

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

Jochs wrote:

kalkasa (2).png
It is in Kalkaska, MI.
This spur saw use last year when SRI used it to load, unload and store LVCC 126 when running the Boardman River Rambler excursions for the Trout Festival and when the excursions out of Fife Lake were run on the 4th of July last year. For Kalkaska the cars were brought up on the regular freights and left on the siding in town, for Fife lake they were brought up and left on the north leg of the Wye at Walton Jct.
1223 OUT! President and Founder of the Buck Creek Central, the Rolling River Route! (2012-2017) President and Founder of the Lamberton Valley Railroad, The Tin Plate Road! Proudly railfanning with Asperger's since 1996. :)

Michael
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Michael »