Amtrak Pere Marquette Return to Service

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Amtrak Pere Marquette Return to Service

Unread post by Saturnalia »

Per the Trains newswire, while booking had been available beginning June 1 for a resumption of service for trains 370 and 371, that has since been dropped and the recent press release containing other service reinstatements does not include any mention of Michigan Service changes.

Makes me think that perhaps the MDOT Office of Rail is being told to expect an extension of the stay-at-home order beyond the 28th of May as it currently is, or they simply do not see demand returning yet.
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

DaveO
Read more, think more, post less

Re: Amtrak Pere Marquette Return to Service

Unread post by DaveO »

Or it has to do with Covid-19 directives on the Chicago/Cook County/Illinois side of things.

Ypsi
The Bestest Railroadfan... fan

Unread post by Ypsi »

Even without an extension, I don’t think the demands will be back for a while. I don’t expect to see 6 trains on wolverine service for some time. Businesses aren’t traveling, school isn’t in session, and people are not going on vacation. In reality I can see a summer with limited action in general. I’m actually surprised the blue water kept service during this. Part of me believes that they kept the wolverines/ blue water on to keep rust off the Amtrak owned portion of the line. The rusty rail from CP28-CP18 was always a fun time in the Michigan line. 352 and 355 would do their dance at CP ypsi rather than run down the rusty rail at slower speeds.
"Ann Arbor 2373 Calling... Milkshake. Over"

All Aboard Amtrak: Northbound, Southbound, and My Hometown

PatAzo
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by PatAzo »

Budgets are going to be taking a hit, MDOT, Amtrak, everybody. The costs related to high unemployment coupled drops in revenue shutting down a big slice of the economy are going to bring hard choices. The money may just not be there.