Pedestrian Hit By GDLK Train in Kalamazoo Yesterday.

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
Jochs
Iron Horse Whisperer

Pedestrian Hit By GDLK Train in Kalamazoo Yesterday.

Unread post by Jochs »

A person wearing headphones while walking down the tracks was hit by a slow moving Grand Elk train in Kalamazoo yesterday. The train was moving slow, but was not able to stop before hitting the person. This article reports that the pedestrian was taken to the hospital in stable condition:
https://www.mlive.com/news/kalamazoo/20 ... Jugn49oIgY
Jeff O.
Celebrating 11 years dial-up free!

(18:36:45) MagnumForce: Railfanning is way more fun when you stop caring about locomotives and signals
(19:11:29) cbehr91: I can't believe I'm +1ing Brent but +1

chapmaja
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Pedestrian Hit By GDLK Train in Kalamazoo Yesterday.

Unread post by chapmaja »

Thankfully for the crew they were able to slow down enough to avoid killing him. Thankfully for him, he wasn't killed. I'm glad he was cited for his stupidity. It makes me wonder how loud the headphones had to be playing in order for him not to hear a train horn right behind him.

NYCMan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by NYCMan »

Shocked that local police issued a citation to the fool, but needs to happen more often. Prediction: The fool will sue GDLK and extort a settlement from them in order for them to avoid the cost and expense involved for this case getting to trial.

OldBastard
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by OldBastard »

chapmaja wrote:Thankfully for the crew they were able to slow down enough to avoid killing him. Thankfully for him, he wasn't killed. I'm glad he was cited for his stupidity. It makes me wonder how loud the headphones had to be playing in order for him not to hear a train horn right behind him.
Hit by a train, and a ticket. Sounds like a bad day for some idiot.

hoborich
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by hoborich »

I always wonder if people are really that stupid or suicidal. How can you not hear a train horn so close behind you, even with ear buds in.
"Ask your doctor if medical advice from a TV commercial is right for you".

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Unread post by Saturnalia »

hoborich wrote:How can you not hear a train horn so close behind you, even with ear buds in.
I consider myself pretty adept at looking out for trains as a railfan and all, and it has certainly been part of the job I like the last two summers on internship. But I promise you, the first time one snuck up on me in double track territory made me really, really freaking glad I'm good at not fouling live track!! Granted, we were running the rail saw so there was lots of local noise. Proof the earplugs work :shock:

You'd think you'd hear 12,000 horsepower and 14,000 tons hurdling towards you at 50 with a K5 blaring. I've seen it just take a simple conversation with a coworker to render it all moot.

Reason #1 not to foul live track at any time any where, period. The train doesn't even care about the legal arguments.
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

hoborich
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by hoborich »

Trains can sneak up on you. But the 5K blaring is hard to ignore.
"Ask your doctor if medical advice from a TV commercial is right for you".

justalurker66
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by justalurker66 »

Not owning earbuds or headphones and being more interested in paying attention to where I am and my surroundings I would not be a good judge for someone who tunes out the world around them as they walk. I have my own failings.

GP9R
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GP9R »

Having been hit by a train, You'd be amazed at how easy it is for equipment to sneak up on you. I didn't even have ear buds in. Now, that was getting struck by a shoving movement. Saturnalia is right, just stay clear of the track and its not a problem.

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

GP9R wrote:Having been hit by a train, You'd be amazed at how easy it is for equipment to sneak up on you. I didn't even have ear buds in. Now, that was getting struck by a shoving movement. Saturnalia is right, just stay clear of the track and its not a problem.
Was the engineer laying on the horn for a long time before the locomotive hit you?
https://www.flickr.com/photos/jimthias/
GRHC - you know every night I can imagine he is in front of his computer screen sitting in his underwear swearing profusely and drinking Blatz beer combing the RailRoadFan website for grammatical errors.

GP9R
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GP9R »

J T wrote:
GP9R wrote:Having been hit by a train, You'd be amazed at how easy it is for equipment to sneak up on you. I didn't even have ear buds in. Now, that was getting struck by a shoving movement. Saturnalia is right, just stay clear of the track and its not a problem.
Was the engineer laying on the horn for a long time before the locomotive hit you?
No, I was struck by an autorack on a shoving move.

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

GP9R wrote: No, I was struck by an autorack on a shoving move.
Ahh, ok, so it's not the same situation as someone walking along the tracks while a locomotive approaches them with the horn blaring. Got it.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/jimthias/
GRHC - you know every night I can imagine he is in front of his computer screen sitting in his underwear swearing profusely and drinking Blatz beer combing the RailRoadFan website for grammatical errors.

barnstormer
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by barnstormer »

J T wrote:
GP9R wrote: No, I was struck by an autorack on a shoving move.
Ahh, ok, so it's not the same situation as someone walking along the tracks while a locomotive approaches them with the horn blaring. Got it.
I recall the old hats from 20+ yrs ago, telling us to always remember..."if you're on the wood, you're no good!"... no matter when or what it is you're doing.
It was good, sage advice.

I once had a conductor working with me who was guiding a new trainee during a switch move, and over the radio he told me he was in the clear, release the 3 step......I said to him (being able to see him and the trainee 3 cars away) "oh, really?! Look where you are standing! He was between the rails of another track with cars in it...he said "ooops, guess you're right! (the trainee was in the clear [of all tracks] like he was taught to do!)

Ya gotta keep your head on a swivel, they would also say. Hope the injury wasn't too severe, GP9, though I'm sure it could have been....

-barny