NS Jackson Turn from Wayne

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

NS Jackson Turn from Wayne

Unread post by AARR »

At MichiganRailroads.com this question was asked about the NS Michigan Line Wayne-Jackson Turn. I know this subject has been posted here before but darned if I can find it. Can someone respond to Ren's question?
Posted by Ren Farley on 4/27/2020, 8:21 pm

This morning I was walking my dog at 7:10 and
sixth tenths of a mile from the Michigan Central tracks in Ann Arbor. I heard an engine blowing for a crossing at Geddes. I presumed it was too early for Amtrak #351. Apparently it was a substantial west bound NS freight.

How often does NS dispatch trains across the Michigan Central line toward Jackson? I checked later and saw that, this morning, Amtrak was at least 30 minutes late in getting varnish #351 to
Tree City..

Thank you
Last edited by AARR on Tue Apr 28, 2020 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

chapmaja
Railroadfan...fan

Re: NS Jackson Turn from Wayne

Unread post by chapmaja »

This is a daily freight during the week. I don't know about weekend.

MiRailProductions
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by MiRailProductions »

AARR wrote:At MichiganRailroads.com this question was asked about the NS Michigan Line Wayne-Jackson Turn. I know this subject has been posted here before but darned if I can find it. Can someone respond to Ren's question?
Posted by Ren Farley on 4/27/2020, 8:21 pm

This morning I was walking my dog at 7:10 and
sixth tenths of a mile from the Michigan Central tracks in Ann Arbor. I heard an engine blowing for a crossing at Geddes. I presumed it was too early for Amtrak #351. Apparently it was a substantial west bound NS freight.

How often does NS dispatch trains across the Michigan Central line toward Jackson? I checked later and saw that, this morning, Amtrak was at least 30 minutes late in getting varnish #351 to
Tree City..

Thank you
This sounds like the Mon-Fri train B25. It originates in Jackson, turns at Wayne, and heads back to Jackson usually just ahead or behind 351.
"If you are ever chasing trains, you're bound to end up on a 2-lane, double-striped road with a slow poke in front of you." -Danny Harmon
YouTube - Michigan Rail Productions
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPPgdn ... wZHDIyfk_Q

Ypsi
The Bestest Railroadfan... fan

Unread post by Ypsi »

B25 is on duty at 2200 in Jackson Sunday-Thursday. Run East to Wayne, get cars, and run back west. Normally it runs after 354 and before or after 351 depending on the timing. Before covid-19 it was normally after. Since they started this job as a regular run there has been no extra weekend locals. I believe initially it was running out of Wayne but they changed that pretty quick, probably due to how the Amtrak’s line up.

Currently with the Amtrak reduced schedule, B25 is getting East a little earlier meaning they often can get west a little earlier as well. There have been some nights they are EB past MH30 at 0030 and back west by 0300.
"Ann Arbor 2373 Calling... Milkshake. Over"

All Aboard Amtrak: Northbound, Southbound, and My Hometown

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Thank you for the updates guys
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

OwlCaboose2853
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by OwlCaboose2853 »

Chelsea Grain Co. 11800 Dexter-Chelsea Rd closed business - NS service has no longer cover hopper cars.
https://thesuntimesnews.com/chelsea-gra ... e-changes/
Amtrak Wolverines
NS Michigan Lines
Ann Arbor RR
The Monorail Society

Steven R. Williams

bctrainfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by bctrainfan »

Did this restart somewhat recently? Do they still run the B33 Jackson-Kalamazoo turn as well? The B33 had moved from nights to a day job during Amtraks night-time track work between Battle Creek and K'zoo last summer/fall. The B57 is still the local switcher out of Battle Creek Hinman yard at night, but I was told they were no longer switching Knapp Milling in Augusta as that was taken over by the day job out of Hinman (B34?).

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

The B33 (or whatever they call it now) now turns at Battle Creek instead of going all the way to Kzoo. The Battle Creek job runs to Kalamazoo and back with whatever traffic B33 brings west.
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/

bctrainfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by bctrainfan »

SD80MAC wrote:The B33 (or whatever they call it now) now turns at Battle Creek instead of going all the way to Kzoo. The Battle Creek job runs to Kalamazoo and back with whatever traffic B33 brings west.
That actually makes more sense to me. So some Michigan Line traffic is going via Wayne and some still exchanging with GDLK in K'zoo for Elkhart?

Ypsi
The Bestest Railroadfan... fan

Unread post by Ypsi »

bctrainfan wrote:
That actually makes more sense to me. So some Michigan Line traffic is going via Wayne and some still exchanging with GDLK in K'zoo for Elkhart?
Yes presently traffic for Jackson either goes Elkhart-> GDLK-> B34-> B33-> Jackson or Oakwood-> B19-> B25-> Jackson. Last night B25 had about 30 cars EB, and 10-20 WB.
"Ann Arbor 2373 Calling... Milkshake. Over"

All Aboard Amtrak: Northbound, Southbound, and My Hometown