GDLK Operations

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Re: GDLK Operations

Unread post by MQT1223 »

Per my intel 3534 and the 7030 are stored serviceable. They were gonna try to get that old GP7u going again but I’m guessing it needs more then what is easily doable right now.

I wonder if the red leaser is another lease-to-own unit like the blue one.
1223 OUT! President and Founder of the Buck Creek Central, the Rolling River Route! (2012-2017) President and Founder of the Lamberton Valley Railroad, The Tin Plate Road! Proudly railfanning with Asperger's since 1996. :)

1TrackMind
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by 1TrackMind »

MQT1223 wrote: I wonder if the red leaser is another lease-to-own unit like the blue one.
As of right now, no. Just a place holder for if and when the 4017 comes back.

OldBastard
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by OldBastard »

SD80MAC wrote:
dave989 wrote:Can somebody give an updated diesel roster. I'm not sure what's dead or alive when I go by Hughart Yard.
7030 and I think 4124 are currently OOS. Are 3534 and 3531 still around, or did one go out for work?
Also interested in the whereabouts of the 3531. It was one of the originals on the property. And also a good old runner from my past railroad life.

1TrackMind
Railroadfan...fan

OldBastard wrote:
SD80MAC wrote:
dave989 wrote:Can somebody give an updated diesel roster. I'm not sure what's dead or alive when I go by Hughart Yard.
7030 and I think 4124 are currently OOS. Are 3534 and 3531 still around, or did one go out for work?
Also interested in the whereabouts of the 3531. It was one of the originals on the property. And also a good old runner from my past railroad life.
its in kzoo

dave989
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by dave989 »

I see new ties sitting between 36th and Eastern in Kentwood. Looks like they will be doing some track work around there soon. All those I-beam lumber cars are still sitting around the old Steecase complex.

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

Speaking of MOW

I have it on good authority that the crossings at Eastern and 36th on the Hastings Lead will be completely redone along with a complete rewire of both crossings so that way they are compliant with the FRA. The current condition of the electrical workings of these crossings are why the rail just beyond Eastern Ave is removed so that the track and crossings are technically OOS and Exempt from any current oversight by the FRA. Once these crossings are rebuilt and redone it sounds like more ties will go in beyond the L&W Spur and work to bring in a customer can proceed faster. Sounds like there is a lot of interest in either a transload or some other operation in the old Steelcase building down on that end.

Also the one private crossing SE of 36th with signals will be completely removed, the private crossing close to the runaround was redone last year.

The Crossing at 106th Ave on the Otsego Branch will also be getting redone this year as well, a car of ballast was brought down to the site last week in preparation for this work.

The management at Grand Elk is not a fan of band-aid repairs (NS was known for lots of these on the GR Secondary) and is committed to getting their crossings up to speed along with newer signal installations where needed. A lot of crossings on the main south of Schoolcraft last year have gone from crossbucks to LED's and Gates in a short amount of time to reflect this.

A good example of a crossing that got much needed work along with some upgrades was 76th St and 54th St last year on the line south of Grand Rapids.
1223 OUT! President and Founder of the Buck Creek Central, the Rolling River Route! (2012-2017) President and Founder of the Lamberton Valley Railroad, The Tin Plate Road! Proudly railfanning with Asperger's since 1996. :)

OldBastard
Railroadfan...fan

Is the 303 running north out of Kalamazoo today?

Raildudes dad
Roadmaster

Unread post by Raildudes dad »

MQT1223 wrote:Speaking of MOW
A good example of a crossing that got much needed work along with some upgrades was 76th St and 54th St last year on the line south of Grand Rapids.
Both crossings were done due to road projects.

1TrackMind
Railroadfan...fan

GDLK may deliever PREX 1603 to the MSO today. It came up from Elkhart last night.

Super Chief
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Super Chief »

It came from Defiance Ohio to replace the 907. Pioneer has been moving units around since the Kendalville switcher went OOS. Elkhart and Western is down to one unit also. Maybe 1603 is back-up for them and MSO?

OldBastard
Railroadfan...fan

1TrackMind wrote:GDLK may deliever PREX 1603 to the MSO today. It came up from Elkhart last night.
503 out running already?

chapmaja
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by chapmaja »

Was the Kendallville switcher the ex-LUN 16, which later spent time on the AA?

Super Chief
Railroadfan...fan

Yes 16 was the unit that Sargent Sand owned. Use to see it lug 6 loaded sand hoppers from Ludington State Park thru Epworth Heights to the C&O in Ludington. The current Kraft Foods commercial has a BNSF hopper in the Kendallville maccoroni and cheese plant that 16 served.

NS3322
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by NS3322 »

Super Chief wrote:Yes 16 was the unit that Sargent Sand owned. Use to see it lug 6 loaded sand hoppers from Ludington State Park thru Epworth Heights to the C&O in Ludington. The current Kraft Foods commercial has a BNSF hopper in the Kendallville maccoroni and cheese plant that 16 served.
Kraft makes marshmallows in Kendallville.

Super Chief
Railroadfan...fan

Well they've changed the product from years past, I did not know that.

justalurker66
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by justalurker66 »

Super Chief wrote:Elkhart and Western is down to one unit also. Maybe 1603 is back-up for them and MSO?
E&W have two units in Elkhart.

Super Chief
Railroadfan...fan

911 &1000 were there but 2 months ago only 1 and the caboose/office. If theyve got 2 do you know the unit #s?

chapmaja
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by chapmaja »

Super Chief wrote:Yes 16 was the unit that Sargent Sand owned. Use to see it lug 6 loaded sand hoppers from Ludington State Park thru Epworth Heights to the C&O in Ludington. The current Kraft Foods commercial has a BNSF hopper in the Kendallville maccoroni and cheese plant that 16 served.
Is #16 done for, or is it repairable?

Super Chief
Railroadfan...fan

Never heard myself what her ailment is? When the new Pioneer management took over last year a lot of units got shuffled around.

NS3322
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by NS3322 »

chapmaja wrote:
Is #16 done for, or is it repairable?
A Pioneer source told me that #16 has a lot of mechanical issues (mainly due to the lack of routine maintenance). I am sure it is repairable, but the new ownership of Pioneer wants a more uniform locomotive fleet.