A Good Time to Start My Career?

Posts that don't fit in the other train categories. Off Subject Chit Chat I tell you. :)
NSSD70ACe
The Conrail Guru

A Good Time to Start My Career?

Unread post by NSSD70ACe »

Hello all,

With the ongoing issues regarding the coronavirus, there is an increasing chance of me being laid off from my current job, as our passenger numbers have basically dropped to zero, the company is slashing 70% of their capacity, and they're parking 600 aircraft at minimum. Additionally, my planned internship for this summer may be canceled as well, meaning I cannot fulfill a graduation requirement and I will have an open summer.

While searching online job boards for a potential replacement, I discovered that Grand Elk is still looking for conductors and I read somewhere within the last week (I believe on this board), there is currently no T&E extra board for the GDLK. With carload numbers appearing to still be stable (for now), all my classes online, and the potential for a total loss of my income, I am seriously considering applying. My question is this: for those who are more "in the know" regarding how a railroad functions during a potential economic slowdown, would this be a good time to start? I should also mention that I can end up using the work experience to override my graduation requirement since it's the industry I want to work in post-graduation, but my current job wouldn't apply, for some reason.

Thanks!
:roll:

the contents of the above post are my opinion and mine alone, and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer.

M.D.Bentley
Railroadfan...fan

Re: A Good Time to Start My Career?

Unread post by M.D.Bentley »

CN just laid off 18 more conductors at Flatrock yard today. NOT a good time for anything.

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

I heard that Meijer is hiring on the spot.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/jimthias/
GRHC - you know every night I can imagine he is in front of his computer screen sitting in his underwear swearing profusely and drinking Blatz beer combing the RailRoadFan website for grammatical errors.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

My son says Shipped (delivers groceries) is backlogged a 100 orders a day. He works all he wants and averages around $20 an hour.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

DaveO
Read more, think more, post less

Unread post by DaveO »

AARR wrote:My son says Shipped (delivers groceries) is backlogged a 100 orders a day. He works all he wants and averages around $20 an hour.
We know Don isn't getting groceries delivered :D
Shipt would be the correct name.

I wish you the best of luck in whatever road you end up traveling down.
It's important to keep in mind where you want to be with a career for the long-term when making choices.
But for the short-term, having an income probably will be the most important factor.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

:lol: Or when groceries are delivered it's Mrs. AARR who handles it 8)
DaveO wrote:
AARR wrote:My son says Shipped (delivers groceries) is backlogged a 100 orders a day. He works all he wants and averages around $20 an hour.
We know Don isn't getting groceries delivered :D
Shipt would be the correct name.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

PatAzo
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by PatAzo »

2020 doesn't look like a good year to start a career but you can't really sit it out either. You've nothing to loose by applying.

In the respect that they will be looking toward a severe economic downturn, railroads will do what most other business will be doing and conserve cash. The Elk will no doubt see reduced traffic. When the Elk launched in 2009 their contract with NS called for service to Elkhart six days a week. With PSR the NS pushed for seven day a week service to Elkhart. Maybe that's safe. Everything else is flexible.

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

AARR wrote:My son says Shipt (delivers groceries) is backlogged a 100 orders a day. He works all he wants and averages around $20 an hour.
They were oversaturated last summer when I applied for them and I was told they'd contact me when opportunities arose in my area. Five months later I finally got an email from them asking me to reapply (F that, the application process is idiotic).

I'm sure that has all changed now.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/jimthias/
GRHC - you know every night I can imagine he is in front of his computer screen sitting in his underwear swearing profusely and drinking Blatz beer combing the RailRoadFan website for grammatical errors.