NS Peavine talk

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Ohio.
northstar16
Railroadfan...fan

Re: NS Peavine talk

Unread post by northstar16 »

I have noticed on the CCET facebook page there is some issues going on with trespassers on the railline from Newtown to points out east that has caused concern for the crew of the CCET. Apparently someone has been shooting at the train near Newtown which is very dangerous. The tankers are for the most part empty but I sure there could be gases in the tankers depending the last time they have been used. Then there is the crew in the powers which are at risk. On top of that people have been in the yard climbing on cars and that is trespassing for sure anyone on railroad property is a violation. The police have been notified. If you want to take pictures or video of any train please stay away from the railroad property keep your distance.

northstar16
Railroadfan...fan

Be aware reading a Facebook page a few days ago, for some reason a CCET employee attacked a railfan video tapping a train at the old Ford Plant in Batavia Ohio. Not sure if the rail fan was on railroad property or the side of the road. Either way not sure why a railroad employee would punch a railfan video taping a train.

I know the CCET employees have been shot at in recent weeks which is never good news and people are getting into their yard climbing on trains. So they are threaten by the public. Maybe someone has more information on this issue.

northstar16
Railroadfan...fan

So what I found out yesterday from the NS guys is if you plan on filming any CCET trains on the Peavine stay on public property. Do not get on the railroad property. The CCET people are watching trespassers very closely. From what I understand shots have been been fired at trains, the safety of the the CCET staff is in danger plus the have had some spray painting on the engines and cars in storage. Vandals has the railroad on edge and they just want to secure the line. NS has this going on in the Sharon Yard but they have security and it stopped pretty quick. Being on railroad property and doing any damage will result in one big fine and jail time.

As far as the assault in Mt. Orab not sure what is going on there the NS engineers didn't know much about it between the CCET and the police.

heypal6878
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by heypal6878 »

Mike sorry haven't been posting for a few weeks. Yes there was a incident with Brian and a CCET employee up in Batavia I think. That issue is under investigation. Think the CCET took Brian's phone wouldn't give it back. The police were called and now everything is under investigation.

I found out a few weeks ago the Plum Run operation is going to give the CCET more business here soon hauling more rock to Clare. That operation out there is pretty big didn't realize how big until a few weeks ago. This added business will be great for the short rail and the Peavine. Plus they have added a few more customers the last few months. I appears that storage business is doing well also so the line is busy.

Be careful on the tracks by Clare apparently the cops and the railroad is watching for trespassers on the rails. I know you walk the dog down there don't think the police will say much to you but you never know about NS when they are moving cars around.

I hope to be more active in the spring have plenty going on right now at work. Been pretty active on ND check out the Clare Site.

arty flowers
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by arty flowers »

The shipment of rock out of Plum Run that your seeing in southern ohio is part of the stone train explosion that will take place in a few weeks. The CCUT will be glad to be part of this renaissance of customer business.

northstar16
Railroadfan...fan

I just read on the Peavine Facebook site that the CCET wants to make a major investment on the Peavine. They are asking for a $200,000 grant and a loan up to $500,000 to establish two two transloaders on the Peavine to haul stone from Plum Run. The total amount of the project is $865,000 excluding additional land purchase required for additional cost of $1,250,000. Hanson Stone is investing $200,000 initially and moving their Clermont Yard to a new location

The CCET has partnered with Hanson Ag to construct a 10 acre facility marketplace The transload project will more 275,000 tons stone off of Ohio 32. This will eliminate many tucks of of route 32 The CCET will also have an additional 20 acres for development on the attached site. The CCET investment is $2 million

This is will a long term commitment by the CCET to move rock from Hanson east to Clare Yard several times a week. The commitment will move 1500 new rail cars east to west and west to east on these transloaders.

For the CCET this is a major development plus they have a solid rail storage business as well. It will be interesting to see if the rail will open more to the east in the next several months.

With all this heavy stone movement the CCET will need to shore up the rails on the line

heypal6878
Railroadfan...fan

Correct been reading this information today. The CCET will move 1500 cars for a week for 30 plus weeks. The CCET is making a major investment on the line with Hanson and the Ag as well. Moving gravel and grain and the new transloadrers will be a major plus of the line. They may need to do some extensive track repair as hauling a heavy load for 30 weeks might be harder on the tracks surely don't want a derail. Other than that with the storage business the CCET is setting themselves up for a long term commitment on the Peavine. Good news for all the people on here that are the naysayers.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

275,000 tons = about 2,750 carloads over a 30ish week season is about 90 cars a week or about 3 30 car blocks. Nice pick up for CCET.
northstar16 wrote:The CCET has partnered with Hanson Ag to construct a 10 acre facility marketplace The transload project will more 275,000 tons stone off of Ohio 32. This will eliminate many tucks of of route 32 The CCET will also have an additional 20 acres for development on the attached site. The CCET investment is $2 million

This is will a long term commitment by the CCET to move rock from Hanson east to Clare Yard several times a week. The commitment will move 1500 new rail cars east to west and west to east on these transloaders.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

northstar16
Railroadfan...fan

Yes this will be a nice cha ching for the CCET. Glad that that line is doing well. When NS quit running the rail I thought it would would be another story. When this railroad was used back in the day it was booming. I hate to see rails close down and this one was on the verge until the CCET came along . There wasn't much business at first but look what has happen in the last five years. They have gained customers and now are making a major investment in the Peavine.

My buddy Heypal and I spoke on the phone today. He said the only thing that he sees the CCET doing is they need to really look at the rails to see if they can support the heavy load they will be hauling. Currently they do haul grain from the Ag several cars and a good deal of empty tankers but this is going to be a long and heavy load of cars. They surely don't want a derail on the line.

chapmaja
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by chapmaja »

northstar16 wrote:Yes this will be a nice cha ching for the CCET. Glad that that line is doing well. When NS quit running the rail I thought it would would be another story. When this railroad was used back in the day it was booming. I hate to see rails close down and this one was on the verge until the CCET came along . There wasn't much business at first but look what has happen in the last five years. They have gained customers and now are making a major investment in the Peavine.

My buddy Heypal and I spoke on the phone today. He said the only thing that he sees the CCET doing is they need to really look at the rails to see if they can support the heavy load they will be hauling. Currently they do haul grain from the Ag several cars and a good deal of empty tankers but this is going to be a long and heavy load of cars. They surely don't want a derail on the line.
How far of a trip is this and would it be one cut of 90 cars or multiples of 30 cars. Could it be split into smaller groups to lessen the wear and tear on the track and roadbed? Would time allow for multiple daily movements of like 10 cars each of loads?

northstar16
Railroadfan...fan

Good question. The CCET has a few engines to do a split. Yes it could be done and it surely wouldn't be a bad idea. I would need to look and see what siding they have up that way because to split up the train half would need to sit on a long siding while the other train gets by. I would think heavy loads on these tracks since they haven't seen this kind of traffic for year may take a toll on the rails. Rail slippage is a real possibility!

chapmaja
Railroadfan...fan

Looking at the Google Map of the area, where would this transload property be set up? The only place I see near Hansons is the property between the mainline and pit area. Or would these be somewhere else on the line?

northstar16
Railroadfan...fan

Hanson Ag is one and I think the second is Plum Run.

northstar16
Railroadfan...fan

Here is the entire article:

On March 18, the Ohio Rail Development Commission (ORDC) approved a grant and loan in the amounts of $200,000 and $500,000, respectively, to Cincinnati Eastern Railroad (CCET) to establish two transload locations on the Peavine Line and establish an on-line shuttle move of stone from the east to the west side of the line.

CCET partnered with Hanson Aggregates to construct a 10-acre facility serving the Eastern Cincinnati marketplace. Currently, Hanson trucks all their stone via state Route 32.

Chris Whitley, President/Managing Member, CCET, said, “We plan to invest approximately $2 million in this project which will establish two new transload locations on the Peavine Line. Our partnership with Hanson Aggregates will divert approximately 12,000 trucks annually from state Route 32. We are looking forward to continuing to enhance our operations for many years to come.”

“This partnership between Hanson and CCET will go a long way towards improving highway safety, by relieving the amount of truck traffic on SR 32, reducing emissions, addressing truck driver shortages and improving the economics and efficiencies for transporting limestone aggregates into the Cincinnati market,” said Dennis Mount, Sales Manager, Hanson Aggregates.

Matthew Dietrich, Executive Director of the ORDC, said, “This project is a great example of how rail transportation can be a lower cost solution for companies in Ohio even for relatively short distance goods movement. This investment not only helps the local businesses but also removes trucks from the highway. It is always our goal to assist Ohio businesses who are making investments here.”

ORDC assists Ohio companies and communities in creating and retaining jobs by preserving rail service to existing shippers and providing rail service to new customers. In addition, the ORDC funds projects to improve railroad-highway grade crossings to increase safety to the traveling public. Please remember, when around railroad tracks always expect a train. Rail lines in Ohio are private property and trespassing is both strictly prohibited and extremely dangerous.

chapmaja
Railroadfan...fan

northstar16 wrote:Here is the entire article:

On March 18, the Ohio Rail Development Commission (ORDC) approved a grant and loan in the amounts of $200,000 and $500,000, respectively, to Cincinnati Eastern Railroad (CCET) to establish two transload locations on the Peavine Line and establish an on-line shuttle move of stone from the east to the west side of the line.

CCET partnered with Hanson Aggregates to construct a 10-acre facility serving the Eastern Cincinnati marketplace. Currently, Hanson trucks all their stone via state Route 32.

Chris Whitley, President/Managing Member, CCET, said, “We plan to invest approximately $2 million in this project which will establish two new transload locations on the Peavine Line. Our partnership with Hanson Aggregates will divert approximately 12,000 trucks annually from state Route 32. We are looking forward to continuing to enhance our operations for many years to come.”

“This partnership between Hanson and CCET will go a long way towards improving highway safety, by relieving the amount of truck traffic on SR 32, reducing emissions, addressing truck driver shortages and improving the economics and efficiencies for transporting limestone aggregates into the Cincinnati market,” said Dennis Mount, Sales Manager, Hanson Aggregates.

Matthew Dietrich, Executive Director of the ORDC, said, “This project is a great example of how rail transportation can be a lower cost solution for companies in Ohio even for relatively short distance goods movement. This investment not only helps the local businesses but also removes trucks from the highway. It is always our goal to assist Ohio businesses who are making investments here.”

ORDC assists Ohio companies and communities in creating and retaining jobs by preserving rail service to existing shippers and providing rail service to new customers. In addition, the ORDC funds projects to improve railroad-highway grade crossings to increase safety to the traveling public. Please remember, when around railroad tracks always expect a train. Rail lines in Ohio are private property and trespassing is both strictly prohibited and extremely dangerous.

So one location will be on the western end of the line, likely near Clare correct. I am still wondering how they will set up the loading area on the east end of the line near the Hanson's mines.

northstar16
Railroadfan...fan

This is uncertain but I'm sure The CCET has it figured out. There is plenty of room at Hanson for a transloader if you look at a aerial shot from Google Earth

scraphauler
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by scraphauler »

You do realize there still a couple miles of track that goes into quarry at Plum Run. And lots and lots of open ground along mainline owned by Hanson. Don’t think coming up with a loading plan is going to be a problem. Likewise lots of railroad owned or rented ground in Macon for that truck to rail location from Eagle. And it’s not like you have to keep the mainline clear.
Attachments
76FF82BF-6063-4422-A97A-049AE7D2592C.jpeg

chapmaja
Railroadfan...fan

scraphauler wrote:You do realize there still a couple miles of track that goes into quarry at Plum Run. And lots and lots of open ground along mainline owned by Hanson. Don’t think coming up with a loading plan is going to be a problem. Likewise lots of railroad owned or rented ground in Macon for that truck to rail location from Eagle. And it’s not like you have to keep the mainline clear.
No I did not realize that track was left in place. When you look near the main, it looks like the line ends fairly close to the main. I did not follow the line around to the east and south side of the location where the tracks are clearly visible.

Looking closer it appears many of the sections within the property are still in decent shape, and the location appears to still have a scale track in place.

scraphauler
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by scraphauler »

The old cable pull system still there to. Nothing was ever remove, just buried or over grown. Don’t expect much of that track to be restored to service immediately but it could happen depending on how business grows.

heypal6878
Railroadfan...fan

Since I have been off I have checked out the CCET at Ancor and they have been rather active going east and back west in the afternoon to Clare. I can see of late they are haul more cars so the Ag must be pretty busy along with the paper plant in Batavia. Plus plenty of storage going out east

The I&O is also very active at least five runs up and back on the old B&O tracks daily not so much on weekends.