GLC Chilson Siding

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
chapmaja
Railroadfan...fan

GLC Chilson Siding

Unread post by chapmaja »

I had to work in Brighton this evening and drove by Chilson Siding today.

For several weeks or longer there has been a long cut of cars located on the siding. The northern end of the cut was older covered hoppers (GLC/TSBY reporting marks), while the southern end was what appeared to be brand new hoppers similar to the ones up by the Ithaca plant.

Today I noticed only a single new car at the south end of the siding, and a string of the newer cars at the north end. The older cars have been removed from the siding.

Two thoughts crossed my mind as to the why the siding would look like this.

First, the crew intentionally left a car at the south end as some sort of marker regarding the siding. They have done this previously with a single car located on the siding.

Second, when they pulled the older cars they intended to pull all the new cars to the north end of the siding, and did not realize that one car had somehow become uncoupled from the rest. A train pulling the cars from the north end of the siding would likely make this move on the northbound trip from Osmer, so they likely would have left the train on the mainline, while working the siding. If the trail car on a long cut was disconnected, the crew may no know it wasn't still coupled and would pull the cars, thinking all of them were attached, when in fact one car wasn't. Once the first of the cars remaining in the siding was where the crew desired it to be, the crew would uncouple the old cars from the new, take the old cars clear of the switch, then back up to the rest of the train. Given the curved nature of Chilson Siding, the crew may never have seen a single car "left behind".

What do people think the reason for the single car being left at the south end of the siding would be? Does anyone who works for the RR know what the reason is?

cfriedri
Railroadfan...fan

Re: GLC Chilson Siding

Unread post by cfriedri »

There's not really any specific answer to why they did what they did. The crew is the only source of reliable information on the subject. If I had to speculate I'd say the cars are billed differently and were thus left separate.
Connor

TSB
peon

Unread post by TSB »

Be careful if you walk around near the southern Chilson Road crossing.

I was in there evaluating a potential transload terminal (around 2000) and ran across
a rattlesnake (I'm not sure how to spell Mississauga.) Big SOB.
5 years on college faculties
34 years working on railroads

RR is more fun

chapmaja
Railroadfan...fan

TSB wrote:Be careful if you walk around near the southern Chilson Road crossing.

I was in there evaluating a potential transload terminal (around 2000) and ran across
I'm not too worried. Rattlers in this area are generally more afraid of us then we are of them (unless you are my mother, who might have a heart attack). The key is to just watch where you step and you should be fine.

Now, the rattler's in the southwest are mean SOB's. They don't share the same fight or FLIGHT response our northern ones do. They would just assume attack the hell out of you than slither away.

This is a reminder, always wear boots when out in the woods. Snakes generally go after the ankles and if you are wearing decent work or outdoor boots it will likely only get a mouth full of leather.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Chapmaja, your most relevant post ever! 8)
chapmaja wrote:
TSB wrote:Be careful if you walk around near the southern Chilson Road crossing.

I'm not too worried. Rattlers in this area are generally more afraid of us then we are of them (unless you are my mother, who might have a heart attack). The key is to just watch where you step and you should be fine.

Now, the rattler's in the southwest are mean SOB's. They don't share the same fight or FLIGHT response our northern ones do. They would just assume attack the hell out of you than slither away.

This is a reminder, always wear boots when out in the woods. Snakes generally go after the ankles and if you are wearing decent work or outdoor boots it will likely only get a mouth full of leather.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

Henry F. Burger
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Henry F. Burger »

The south end was to Michigan & Ohio Sand & Gravel company, remains of their loader foundation is this there, their operation site was east of the Ann Arbor tracks supplied many car loads of gravel to ballast the Annie, pictures in Howell Library collection, you can copy. They had a small 2-6-0, and two small shays. They main office was in Toledo, Ohio.

chapmaja
Railroadfan...fan

I have actually wanted to go back and find where the spur to this location went. I have never found where it crossed Chilson. I have an old AARR track chart that lists it, but in all the times I drove by, have never been able to place the location.

I also haven't had the time to look up old maps of the area, something I may have now due to COVID-19.