White Pigeon Grain Trains

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Re: White Pigeon Grain Trains

Unread post by SD80MAC »

kd_1014 wrote:How will you think they will get them on the GDLK? Would they terminate in Wyoming, run around their train, then an Elk crew takes it down the Hughart Runner?
Yes. Run around the train in Wyoming, Elk crew gets on and takes it down the runner to White Pigeon. The reverse for the loads.
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/

Super Chief
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Super Chief »

Was at the Andersons this morning, yard has no cars, there are 12 silos, 4 small metal,4 large metal and the original 4 concrete which are the smallest. Gonna be alot of trucks on the highway to replenish them with 5 trains a month.

kd_1014
Mike

Unread post by kd_1014 »

Sources say its been stopped in Plymouth since around 9-10 this morning. Anybody know the reason?

Raildudes dad
Roadmaster

Unread post by Raildudes dad »

Trace says "departure annulled". The RR guys will need to tell us what that means.

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

Crew is currently enroute to Plymouth to get the train. Might run as a G010 instead of V778. Look for a morning southbound departure on the Grand Elk.

NSSD70ACe
The Conrail Guru

Unread post by NSSD70ACe »

SD80MAC wrote:Crew is currently enroute to Plymouth to get the train. Might run as a G010 instead of V778. Look for a morning southbound departure on the Grand Elk.
That’d probably place them in Kalamazoo around 8-12 depending on when Grand Elk picks up the train.
:roll:

the contents of the above post are my opinion and mine alone, and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer.

~Z~
Sofa King Admin

Unread post by ~Z~ »

Grain train heading south on gdlk nearing Moline 9:06am.
Webmaster
Railroad photos on Railroadfan.com

Jim_c
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Jim_c »

Plainwell at 10:10.

My wife got a better picture than I did. My calculations indicate about 25 mph. And that would match an hour from Moline to Plainwell.
Attachments
CSX_on _Elk.jpg
Trails to Rails. Put the track back.

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

Jim_c wrote:Plainwell at 10:10.

My wife got a better picture than I did. My calculations indicate about 25 mph. And that would match an hour from Moline to Plainwell.
Looks like you got em at Plainwell? Definitely a strange sight for sure.
1223 OUT! President and Founder of the Buck Creek Central, the Rolling River Route! (2012-2017) President and Founder of the Lamberton Valley Railroad, The Tin Plate Road! Proudly railfanning with Asperger's since 1996. :)

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

Jim_c wrote:Plainwell at 10:10.

Max track speed between GR and Kzoo is 25 mph.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

My notes show the elevator's capacity as 3,180,000 bushels. That's about 825 car loads in 110 ton cars. I suppose it's possible but in my opinion unlikely that they'd be able to load 5-10 units trains "every" month. Looking forward to updates :) .
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

Jim_c
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Jim_c »

I presume the return trip will be on the same route. Is the power likely to run light back to GR or will they leave it there?
Trails to Rails. Put the track back.

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

Jim_c wrote:I presume the return trip will be on the same route. Is the power likely to run light back to GR or will they leave it there?
I'm almost certain the power will stay with the train, that's the point of run-through power.

~Z~
Sofa King Admin

Unread post by ~Z~ »

As of 12:40pm, grain train is starting to spot its empties at white pigeon.

Chased them from Grand rapids to white pigeon with trnwatcher and LSRC. excellent morning and afternoon. Ran into Super Chief and GTW at white pigeon.
Webmaster
Railroad photos on Railroadfan.com

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

Train is currently being loaded and should be back northbound by late tonight. Left GR at 8 and was spotted in White Pigeon by just after 1 pm. Pretty good run!

Ypsi
The Bestest Railroadfan... fan

Unread post by Ypsi »

FWIW there are normally (this could have changed by now, but..) no scheduled crews for Saturday evening, first crew is on at 0700 tomorrow morning and could be flexed to 0500. GDLK doesn’t have an extra board presently (also could have changed) so they would need a crew to volunteer to run it tonight.
"Ann Arbor 2373 Calling... Milkshake. Over"

All Aboard Amtrak: Northbound, Southbound, and My Hometown

eastonj
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by eastonj »

Watched them load the first cut of 9 cars. It took around an hour.

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

Ypsi wrote:FWIW there are normally (this could have changed by now, but..) no scheduled crews for Saturday evening, first crew is on at 0700 tomorrow morning and could be flexed to 0500. GDLK doesn’t have an extra board presently (also could have changed) so they would need a crew to volunteer to run it tonight.
So they will come north tomorrow possibly?
1223 OUT! President and Founder of the Buck Creek Central, the Rolling River Route! (2012-2017) President and Founder of the Lamberton Valley Railroad, The Tin Plate Road! Proudly railfanning with Asperger's since 1996. :)

Ypsi
The Bestest Railroadfan... fan

Unread post by Ypsi »

Tomorrow should have 2 crews on at 0700 and then the yard job at 1900. Unless people volunteer to run the Train. But assumably it would start to get assembled around 9am then head north late morning mid day.. IF that is how they are running it. On NS they had an agreement for quick turn around, not sure how CSX works. Also keep in mind you need a crew that’s qualified into CSX. Most of GDLK should be, but only a couple of crews go into CSX on the regular.
"Ann Arbor 2373 Calling... Milkshake. Over"

All Aboard Amtrak: Northbound, Southbound, and My Hometown

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

Ypsi wrote:Tomorrow should have 2 crews on at 0700 and then the yard job at 1900. Unless people volunteer to run the Train. But assumably it would start to get assembled around 9am then head north late morning mid day.. IF that is how they are running it. On NS they had an agreement for quick turn around, not sure how CSX works. Also keep in mind you need a crew that’s qualified into CSX. Most of GDLK should be, but only a couple of crews go into CSX on the regular.
Guess all we can do is keep an eye on the forums...