Tecumseh Products

Any historical questions can be posted here. Answers would certainly help as well :)
railroads2000
Railroadfan...fan

Tecumseh Products

Unread post by railroads2000 »

Hello,

Anyone who might be familiar with the Tecumseh, Michigan area, I would like to find out what type of cars were spotted at the Tecumseh Products Plant, when it was in business, when the plant started operations, and when it shutdown. NYC Track maps show several spurs in this area, and current satellite photos show evidence of at least two tracks. Also, in the same location, a spur crossed Evans St. across from Tecumseh Products, what was this industry? NYC map shows a trailing point spur along Evans St. at Shawnee and Mill St. what was located here? I am referring to 1964 NYC maps. Trying to get a feel for what industries were being served during the 60', and 70's. One more thing, topo map show a spur between Raisin Center and Tecumseh, listed as a Refinery, maybe a small chemical plant? Thanks.

James Barnes, Jr.
Taylor, Michigan

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Re: Tecumseh Products

Unread post by AARR »

This might be the location where Wacker Chemical is located
railroads2000 wrote:One more thing, topo map show a spur between Raisin Center and Tecumseh, listed as a Refinery, maybe a small chemical plant? Thanks.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

Standard Railfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Standard Railfan »

Below is a link to the 1935 edition of the Sanborn fire insurance map for Tecumseh. You may find a few answers.

https://www.loc.gov/collections/sanborn ... st=gallery

Macowiec
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Macowiec »

There were at least two separate spurs into Tecumseh Products.

The first left the main line south of Russell Road and curved into a center section of the complex. I remember seeing 50' boxcars being switched in here in the very early 70s. After that, this spur was unused. I suspect the spur was used for shipping outbound product, and the company switched to truck shipping (they had their own truck fleet). This spur at one time extended nearly to Patterson Street, and I've seen a 1950s photos with some 40' box cars visible from the Patterson Street entry gate.

There was a second spur that entered the Products from the NYC yard. This was a shorter spur, and tank cars of lubricating oil were switched in here. This spur was active until almost the end of Conrail operations in 1982.

The Tecumseh Products Company was founded in the 1930s, but the buildings closest to the railroad were earlier part of the Anthony Fence Company.

As for the spur which came off the NYC main and crossed Evans Street across from the Tecumseh Products—this spur went into the Tecumseh Corrugated Box Company. The building was earlier owned by the Uncle Sam's Macaroni Company. This spur was certainly not used after the mid-1970s.

The "refinery" spur south of Tecumseh (south of the Sutton Road crossing) went into the Stauffer Chemical Company. This was in used into Conrail days.
SMRS 1982-88, IHRC 1989-90, KJRY 1991-94, UP 1994-2000

Publisher of Tecumsehjunction.com

Full European rail booking on my site: polrail.com

railroads2000
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by railroads2000 »

Thanks everyone, info was great, as well as the Sanborn Maps. I just thought of a few more questions concerning the DT&I (my Favorite Road). Was there much interchange between the DT&I and the NYC/PC?, Were there customers for them to switch?, When did the DT&I stop service in Tecumseh? I am gathering as much info I can, because I am thinking of designing an HO scale Proto-Freelanced version of the branch to include the Penn Central, Conrail and a Freelanced Short Line operator for the branch after Conrail's exit. Time frames would be 1973-PC, 1978-80-CR, and 1982-MC, (Michigan Central), using a modified NYC cigar band logo and NYC inspired paint scheme. I am also trying to incorporate the use of 86' High Cube Boxcars and Coil Cars. These cars would only be used during the Short Line OPs. The idea is the Tecumseh Products Company shutdown and the plant was leased for reuse by an Auto Parts supplier. Thanks again.

James Barnes, Jr.
Taylor, Michigan

Macowiec
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Macowiec »

The DT&I last came into Tecumseh ca. 1969. After that they were only coming as far north as the Fisher Body plant. The tracks, however, remained intact into the mid-80s.

For some more information on the DT&I in Tecumseh, have a look at these two articles:

http://tecumsehjunction.com/2017/01/04/ ... the-1940s/

http://tecumsehjunction.com/2017/02/05/ ... -dtm-spur/
SMRS 1982-88, IHRC 1989-90, KJRY 1991-94, UP 1994-2000

Publisher of Tecumsehjunction.com

Full European rail booking on my site: polrail.com