Kellogg's switcher being scrapped?

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
GTW
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Kellogg's switcher being scrapped?

Unread post by GTW »

Look at all the buildings gone. Thanks for the photo.

PatAzo
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by PatAzo »

Interesting history. I knew one of the Botsford yard masters who worked Hinman occasionally until they eliminated the yard master there. He used to complain about how slow switching on the curved tracks was. The crew goes east of Raymond they never come back he used to say.
NS3322 wrote:Was Rumley Yard located between US Lumber and the current Battle Creek Department of Public Works building?
Rumley I believe was between Angel and N 20th St. When the INGT first started running they turned at Battle Creek and went back to Elkhart. My brother and I asked the crew once if we could ride with them to Battle Creek. They said sure on the second unit. When we got to Rumley the engineer stopped and pointed to the ground. We hoped off and asked how long before they came back (assuming they were taking the GM cars over to the GTW). He said they ran through to Jackson now and only let us ride because he thought we needed to get to Battle Creek.
GTW wrote:Look at all the buildings gone. Thanks for the photo.
I spent a lot of time over there working on pellet and flake mill drives. If you got off the elevator at the packaging floor you had to have ear plugs in before the door opened. A lot of the actuators were pneumatic and the exhaust made a constant roar. A millwright told me once that during plant shutdowns they had as much as 600HP worth of compressors online just making up for leaks.

NS3322
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by NS3322 »

As of yesterday, the switcher is still in the same spot. Not quite on scrapyard property.
Last edited by NS3322 on Sun Sep 24, 2023 10:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

R.E.A.P.E.R.
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by R.E.A.P.E.R. »

It's definitely on scrapyard property. I put a boxcar in front of it last week.

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

Good news! 1005 has been saved. Can't say who bought it yet, but keep your eyes on where it goes...
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Is it possibly staying in West Michigan :)
SD80MAC wrote:Good news! 1005 has been saved. Can't say who bought it yet, but keep your eyes on where it goes...
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

penn central
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by penn central »

From 1991 to 1996 i went into the Kellogg plant about twice a week and had a camera with me i have a shot of a GTW GP9 switching inside the plant i wonder when they started using that switcher.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

I recall a pair of GTW's SW1200RS's (#'s1512-1519) were acquired by the company contracted to switch the plant too. Wasn't the SW1200RS (1512?) on MAL a former Kellogg's switcher, nee GTW?
penn central wrote:From 1991 to 1996 i went into the Kellogg plant about twice a week and had a camera with me i have a shot of a GTW GP9 switching inside the plant i wonder when they started using that switcher.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

NS3322
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by NS3322 »

penn central wrote:From 1991 to 1996 i went into the Kellogg plant about twice a week and had a camera with me i have a shot of a GTW GP9 switching inside the plant i wonder when they started using that switcher.
I think it was around 1999/2000 that they started using their own switcher.
AARR wrote:I recall a pair of GTW's SW1200RS's (#'s1512-1519) were acquired by the company contracted to switch the plant too. Wasn't the SW1200RS (1512?) on MAL a former Kellogg's switcher, nee GTW?
The #7014 on the CPMY was a Kellogg switcher for a while as well.