Amtrak Holiday Trains

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
Doktor No
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Amtrak Holiday Trains

Unread post by Doktor No »

Super Chief wrote:Well thats more cars then I just saw on national TV, had a P42 with 2 cars and called it an extra train for the holidays. Where's Roberta (ex-Chicago East dispatcher) when we need her? Before PTC and dispatch location changes she did a good job keeping the line fluid between Chicago and LaPorte.
National TV uses stock footage for their news coverage. Lucky they didn't put up a pic of the Japanese Shenkansen or a French TGV.
Curb Your Enthusiasm.

justalurker66
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by justalurker66 »

Super Chief wrote:Where's Roberta (ex-Chicago East dispatcher) when we need her? Before PTC and dispatch location changes she did a good job keeping the line fluid between Chicago and LaPorte.
"Elkhart Desk" must have special talents to mess up Michigan trains on Chicago Terminal (former Chicago West). Chicago East would have been Porter to Elkhart ... now combined with the old Toledo West to create the Elkhart Desk.

It sounds like the bigger problems are on Chicago Terminal, which was helped by the track and signal improvements.

Ypsi
The Bestest Railroadfan... fan

Unread post by Ypsi »

353 was a charger, 7 cars, and a P42 on this thanksgiving day
"Ann Arbor 2373 Calling... Milkshake. Over"

All Aboard Amtrak: Northbound, Southbound, and My Hometown

Ypsi
The Bestest Railroadfan... fan

Unread post by Ypsi »

355 back to two chargers and a slightly larger holiday consist of 6 cars.
"Ann Arbor 2373 Calling... Milkshake. Over"

All Aboard Amtrak: Northbound, Southbound, and My Hometown

Dan Cluley
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Dan Cluley »

350 into Royal Oak Saturday afternoon with 6 cars and a Charger on each end.

GP30M4216
Saver of all History

Unread post by GP30M4216 »

I visited the East Lansing station on Tuesday for the arrival and departure of WB Amtrak 365. The consist was P42 #63, 6 coaches, an Amcafe, and Charger #4626. I think that's one extra coach from the "norm."

What a crowd! In atypical form, no one was spread along the length of asphalt platform, rather, there were two lines starting where the concrete sidewalks from the station meet the platform winding their way back to and along each side of the station building. At first I thought this might be a strangely orderly experience brought on by a lot of first-time passengers not understanding how platforms work. But in the end, it was much more orderly, and I wonder if this was intentional. I overheard the station volunteer, asking people where they were heading. It might be that the lines were actually organized in some way. Has anyone boarded recently at LNS?

Chicago destination had the first 2-3 coaches for sure, the other stops were all behind, with cafe and business class at the rear. Seven doors were opened in total. The train arrived early enough that even with this crowd, probably 150-200, were boarded fairly quickly. The platform was amazingly empty after just a few minutes. Three runners showed up after the train whistled and brakes released. Everyone was boarded in the end, but sheesh, people are idiots.
Amtrak 365 arriving, with a "classic" Genesis on the point.
Amtrak 365 arriving, with a "classic" Genesis on the point.
The crowd descends in two lines after the train has stopped.
The crowd descends in two lines after the train has stopped.
Platform cleared, 365 is about to depart just to come to a stop for three runners.
Platform cleared, 365 is about to depart just to come to a stop for three runners.
MDOT Rail's twitter feed showed some similar photos of 365 arriving at LNS on Wednesday. They estimated 500 people would ride that particular Blue Water run, and 24,000 would take Amtrak in Michigan over the holiday week.

For the record, 370/371 have been running with a single Charger and 4 Superliners most of this week, one more than usual. I saw 370 arrive at Holland on Friday night. Several dozen passengers deboarded here. The train was about 20 minutes late arriving. The platform is only about 3 carlengths long, and only the doors on the first three cars opened.