Internet and tv these days

Posts that don't fit in the other train categories. Off Subject Chit Chat I tell you. :)
arty flowers
Railroadfan...fan

Internet and tv these days

Unread post by arty flowers »

So how is everyone entertaining themselves these days? I got a laptop setup with spectrum as my internet, earlier this year I just got the internet package for 49.99 but they raised it on me to 74.99 telling me that the other price was just a promotional offer, which I think is blasphemy and am looking for other ways to enjoy my net for cheaper as I suspect they will only raise my internet price in the future again. For tv I just a simple little analog antennae from Walmart that you hang up indoors...It works ok as I get a few channels with it. Do you do satellite or tell me your own special way of enjoying more or same for less?

kd_1014
Mike

Re: Internet and tv these days

Unread post by kd_1014 »

Me and my family uses YouTube TV, which has a load of channels and is relatively cheap for all it offers

GTW6401
how bout no

Unread post by GTW6401 »

I cut the cord on cable years ago. I have a digital converter box with about 40 channels.

I also have 49.95 p/m internet service from Comcast. They haven't raised the price and increased the speed.

My parents have Spectrum in Florida. I spent a week down there in September and I didn't think the cable TV was anything special.

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Unread post by Saturnalia »

I almost never watch TV. The stuff some of these YouTube folks make these days blow cable out of the water.

Plus...no ads if you buy Premium. I haven't seen a TV ad for politics in over a year...yippie! 8)
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

Mark F
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Mark F »

Have the most basic cable package my provider offers plus 100mbps internet with an Apple TV box. Most of the time my TV just has one of the YouTube live streams from Virtual Railfan or Railstream playing, usually Fostoria or Santa Fe Jct in Kansas City.

Jetlink
Not a Railfan

Unread post by Jetlink »

Haven't watched TV since we moved to this place in 2008. No cable, no antenna. The wife watches Netflix, Amazon Prime, and Hulu. She never seems to run out of content. Amazon Firestick and Mac book air are her weapons of choice. We have a really slow local wireless ISP but it does provide enough bandwidth to stream but usually only 1-2 streams at a time. There are no wired internet providers available at our address.
Last edited by Jetlink on Mon Nov 25, 2019 8:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
interested in trains

Patiently waiting for LansingRailfan to antagonize me in his tagline

GreatLakesRailfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GreatLakesRailfan »

My AT&T internet is running about $50-55/month, after the $40/month promotional offer I signed up under ended. I have a TV, but it's only attached to a DVD player and an Xbox (which isn't connected to the internet). When I first moved in to the house, I planned to install an antenna, but that never panned out. At this point, I haven't watched TV on a regular basis in years and I don't miss it. Besides, if I'm bored, I can always pull up the foamer groups on Facebook for enough drama to last a lifetime...
~ Charles W.

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

High speed Xfinity internet for $55 a month. We get our "network TV" via Hulu live and everything else via Netflix or HBO. Bottom line is we pay just over $100 a month for our internet and streaming services. When I was paying for the same content via cable, it was about $180 per month, not including streaming services.
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/

PatAzo
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by PatAzo »

Netflix, YouTube or just read. Spectrum internet only runs me $70/month. AT&T was the other option for internet but their "pipe was full" last time I talked to them. I dumped satellite/cable a long time ago. My brother lives in an area with Comcast. They have internet and on-demand but no traditional cable.

Trainman2223
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Trainman2223 »

Youtube and a digital antenna for local news.....TV these days is over hyped smut....not worth the money

Throw 2 cents in...if you call the 800 # to work out a better deal. The first person you talk to is of no help EVER...
3 words : customer retention department (listen for the pause) :twisted: ...that will get you to someone who can change numbers and get things done.
Semper Fi

“I bought a perfect second car... a tow truck.”
Rodney Dangerfield

~Z~
Sofa King Admin

Unread post by ~Z~ »

I second Trainman2223's advise on calling into your internet provider and talking to the retention department. I've used that same method every 13ish months with Comcast since 2006 to get a new 12 month reduction in my internet bill. Paying $50 flat, no tax, own cable modem currently for 150MB down.
No cable TV here, have a Netflix subscription for the kiddos/wifey. I probably watch too much youtube. Antenna to pickup the local stations to watch the Detroit Lions lose.
Webmaster
Railroad photos on Railroadfan.com

Michael
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Michael »

I'm on the ~Z~ plan

hoborich
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by hoborich »

I have Spectrum, and yeah they raised it after the "promotional period". I called to cancel it a couple years ago when I went to Florida for the winter. But I would have to return the "free" modem, to the next town east of me, as they had no store in my town. After being off it for six months or more, I could get back on as a new customer with another "promotional offer". But I would have to pay an "installation charge" of $129.00. So I went on the seasonal plan at $4.99 a month, but they shut off your internet on that plan, and turn it back on, on the date you specify. They get you coming and going.
My only options would be a satellite dish, and people have problems with that in bad weather.
"Ask your doctor if medical advice from a TV commercial is right for you".

penn central
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by penn central »

I pay $214 dollars a month but i pretty much have everything they have to offer. My wife and i both work so i figured i might as well.

hoborich
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by hoborich »

As Jay Leno used to say about cable, "100 channels of nothing to watch". :D
"Ask your doctor if medical advice from a TV commercial is right for you".

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

Using the Amazon Firestick:

80% Hulu
15% Netflix
5% YouTube

We just added Disney +, so that may start factoring into my percentages soon.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/jimthias/
GRHC - you know every night I can imagine he is in front of his computer screen sitting in his underwear swearing profusely and drinking Blatz beer combing the RailRoadFan website for grammatical errors.

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Unread post by Saturnalia »

J T wrote:We just added Disney +, so that may start factoring into my percentages soon.
The Mandelorian. Do it now. That is the way. :wink:
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

Saturnalia wrote:
J T wrote:We just added Disney +, so that may start factoring into my percentages soon.
This is the way.
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/

Michael
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Michael »

I have spoken

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

Saturnalia wrote:
It's ok. I was almost too bored with it after finishing the second episode to continue on.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/jimthias/
GRHC - you know every night I can imagine he is in front of his computer screen sitting in his underwear swearing profusely and drinking Blatz beer combing the RailRoadFan website for grammatical errors.