Transload at CN Battle Creek

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
bctrainfan
Railroadfan...fan

Transload at CN Battle Creek

Unread post by bctrainfan »

I noticed a cut of 12 flats carrying what appear to be truck frames sitting in the the CN Battle Creek yard near the Car Shop (RIP Track?) for a couple days. It appears they are now offloading the frames onto semis. Have not seen this before, seems like an odd place for this as there are no truck factories nearby. Any other info on this?

GTW6401
how bout no

Re: Transload at CN Battle Creek

Unread post by GTW6401 »

Its likely due to CN crews being on strike in Canada, and those products are being trucked over the border.

dave989
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by dave989 »

GTW6401 wrote:Its likely due to CN crews being on strike in Canada, and those products are being trucked over the border.
Would like more info on this CN strike situation. I will be in Battle Creek area for Thanksgiving weekend and wondering if this will reduce train activity on CN around there?

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

dave989 wrote:
GTW6401 wrote:Its likely due to CN crews being on strike in Canada, and those products are being trucked over the border.
Would like more info on this CN strike situation. I will be in Battle Creek area for Thanksgiving weekend and wondering if this will reduce train activity on CN around there?
Oh no, it has greatly increased traffic across Michigan on CN. Only the Canadian crews are striking, not the US crews. Consequently, many trains that would normally run the north edge of Lake Superior are being rerouted through Michigan, Indiana, Illinois, Wisconsin, etc. The GTW has been hopping all week.
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/

conrailmike
Signal Maintainer
Location: Less than 100' from CSX (LSRC) Saginaw Sub. MP 61.4 in Highland, MI

Unread post by conrailmike »

bctrainfan wrote:I noticed a cut of 12 flats carrying what appear to be truck frames sitting in the the CN Battle Creek yard near the Car Shop (RIP Track?) for a couple days. It appears they are now offloading the frames onto semis. Have not seen this before, seems like an odd place for this as there are no truck factories nearby. Any other info on this?
I would guess they are frames for Flint Truck. Our frames come from Canada and since the strike they've been coming over on flatbeds. Last I heard it wasn't gonna affect our production through the weekend but come Monday we might have an issue.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

If the frames are already in MI why transload them in Battle Creek? Why not just have an American crew take them to Flint and unload them there like they usually do?
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

conrailmike
Signal Maintainer

AARR wrote:If the frames are already in MI why transload them in Battle Creek? Why not just have an American crew take them to Flint and unload them there like they usually do?
It's anyone's guess as to why GM does what they do. I've heard there were two locations they were loading frames from so who knows. If I take a shot in the dark, it might have something to do with the amount of frames that are coming vs. the amount that they need? Or maybe how many times CN will switch the plant? If I recall correctly, I believe they (CN) delivers 320-350 at a time but I'm not 100% sure. I'm not certain on how many frames equals a "full frame yard", it's gotta be quite a number as we're running 6 days x 3 shifts with one shift on Sundays right now.

CR900945
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by CR900945 »

The frames being unloaded at BC and trucked MIGHT be for Oshawa, Ontario. I have seen truck frames going both ways on the main line. The ones for Flint have a heavier side member for 3/4 and 1 ton models. Oshawa builds 1/2 ton versions.

MP73point4
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by MP73point4 »

I believe the Oshawa truck plant closed some years ago.
RR Pass Collector

conrailmike
Signal Maintainer

MP73point4 wrote:I believe the Oshawa truck plant closed some years ago.
Oshawa truck did close some years ago, Oshawa Assembly however has been doing final assembly ( everything was being shipped up there and then put together) of light duty trucks for about a year. It was just temporary and the plant is scheduled to be done at the end of this year.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Thanks for the feedback guys.

So you guys know I'm a railfan and not a railroader. However, the efficiency engineer in me asks if the frames are for Oshawa why not unload them in Port Huron or Detroit which is closer?
conrailmike wrote:
MP73point4 wrote:I believe the Oshawa truck plant closed some years ago.
Oshawa truck did close some years ago, Oshawa Assembly however has been doing final assembly ( everything was being shipped up there and then put together) of light duty trucks for about a year. It was just temporary and the plant is scheduled to be done at the end of this year.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

PatAzo
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by PatAzo »

Does Spartan Motors receive frames?