NS Peavine talk

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Ohio.
northstar16
Railroadfan...fan

Re: NS Peavine talk

Unread post by northstar16 »

switcher.jpg
New MP 15 DC Switcher just added to the CCET. Getting plenty of rail work the last two weeks!
Attachments
switcher.jpg

northstar16
Railroadfan...fan

Had dinner at the Urban Grill in Newtown last night looked on the wall where we were sitting and saw a painting of Chris Edwards Passenger Car. I kept looking at it and said out loud that is the passenger car that belongs to Chris Edwards sitting by the tracks at Broadwell Road. My girlfriend said what you know of it? Yes I see it down there when I go pass on occasion. Looks good!

northstar16
Railroadfan...fan

The last few months the CCET is getting a few more customers. Line has been very active. New customer in Newtown just came on line last month will need to see how active they will be going forward. New siding has been opened up out east. Cohen as cars on the line and the CCET is hauling scrap metal to the west a few days a week. All good news for the CCET going forward.

northstar16
Railroadfan...fan

Continue movement of CCET trains today and yesterday going east. Talked to an engineer yesterday from the CCET they are really busy up east. The Ag is doing very well this year with grain transfers, more grain shipments this year than ever before. Appears to be track work up east as the CCET is opening up some siding as well. According to this engineer and his buddy things are going well for the CCET. Not as much tanker storage as a year ago but they are picking up some new business enough to keep them busy for now.

heypal6878
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by heypal6878 »

Northstar right you are. I have been rather busy at work but have been in Newtown playing some golf during the week and the CCET has been running nearly every day going back to Clare at least three days a week. I have noticed they the Ag must be very busy as the grain loads are on a average of 15 cars every time. It appears that tanker storage is not what it was months ago. I did see at as many as 20 tankers down at Clare today and the NS was moving cars around.

The CCET has picked up some small customers out east maybe that will eventually bring them increased business. Good to see the CCET continuing to operate on the Peavine.

scraphauler
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by scraphauler »

You can get official updates in the NEWS section of homesteadrailgroup.com.

Cohen in Macon OH has been shipping since 2017 by the way. As for storage, see response 8 posts back - still the case.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Who are CCET's customers?
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

scraphauler
Railroadfan...fan

Link to CCET’s website from Homestead site. There is a tab call CUSTOMERS - this has list of customers. Don’t think Garick has been added to list yet

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Thanks, I'll give it a try.
scraphauler wrote:Link to CCET’s website from Homestead site. There is a tab call CUSTOMERS - this has list of customers. Don’t think Garick has been added to list yet
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

heypal6878
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by heypal6878 »

It was a great afternoon so I said why not get the bike out and take a ride up to Plum Road. So I headed east checking out the Peavine tracks going down side roads most likely the same ones Jaw Tooth films the CCET on you tube. I notice out east there are several tankers on sidings way out east Past Seaman. Really looking at the rails past Plum Road it isn't all that bad but then again I didn't go all the way to Portsmouth. I got off the bike a few times looked at the tracks several areas there are tree limbs and brush on the tracks over growth in places were there hasn't been a train in years. Yet some places the rails are rusty yet it looks as something was on the rails at some point maybe someone had a home made rail cart out there past plum road on the tracks.

There are several bridges over creeks so not sure how stable the bridges are anymore that could be a issue since the tracks have not been used in many years. I noticed several signals have been destroyed by kids and alike very sad.

It was a great ride enjoyed it maybe before it gets too cold I will go all the way out to Portsmouth

northstar16
Railroadfan...fan

Was down at McDonalds on Wooster NS crew came in again today. They had a bunch of tankers setting off on the side rails that need to go east along with grain cars plus picking up some grain cars to take to Sharon Yard. New guy on NS riding along today. He said that the CCET has a really good business with tankers pays to keep the line open and that they must be making a good profit. There was an inspection of the rails a few weeks ago and they are in good shape with no real issues the report showed. There will need to be some work done at Clare as some rails and ties need to be replaced in the yard.

scraphauler
Railroadfan...fan

Traffic has been fairly strong on CCET past few months, but not many tank cars so not sure what NS guys are talking about. Yesterday (11/14) CCET dropped 43 cars on Main 1 at Clare, not a tank car among them. Storage business overall is soft right now. Where was a rail inspection done? Assuming NS tracks in Clare, or I&O going to Clare?

northstar16
Railroadfan...fan

Correct on the old Penn line, and the siding, inside Clare and rail going over the rail trestle. Looks like they were looking at the rails coming into the yard more than anything. Correct some tankers are in the yard but the Ag is hauling far more grain this year than in the past.

northstar16
Railroadfan...fan

Was up in Mt. Orab today at the dentist and noticed on the siding at Batavia the CCET has a line of boxcars maybe as many as 30 sitting there. They must have a contract with a company to store boxcars. First I have seen that before. Tankers yes many times never boxcars.

scraphauler
Railroadfan...fan

44 of em so far. Modern 50ft high cube 100 tonners that NS is returning to lessor. Same leasing company that uses CCET for tank cars, cover hoppers, open top hoppers, etc. as their Midwest car lot.

northstar16
Railroadfan...fan

Do they get more for storage on boxcars than they do for tankers. I have seen hoppers on the siding of late think the last time i was up that way hoppers were sitting on the tracks up there. Great that the CCET is getting more business on storage that keeps the business making money. They have done pretty darn good the last ten years with the business they have put what they picked up and car storage. Still think long term they can open the line up all the way to Portsmouth if they get funding.

cctigers09
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by cctigers09 »

This line will never be reopened to Portsmouth. That is not a possibility. Please put that idea to rest.

northstar16
Railroadfan...fan

Very negative. Years ago many said it would only go to Mt. Orab now the line goes out 78 miles. Never say never as anything is possible!

scraphauler
Railroadfan...fan

CCET has only been around since 2014 - just over 5 years, not 10.

Storage rates are customer specific, not car type specific.

NS wants absolutely NOTHING to do with an interchange in Portsmouth. Plus why would CCET want to interchange in Portsmouth vs Cincinnati for same money? That's just added expense. If a customer came along with sufficient on-line traffic to justify the investment, they yea, maybe. But short of that, forget it - aint going to happen. And there enough going on behind the scenes that no one has time to even think about any pie in the sky scenario to reopen the line east of Jaybird.

northstar16
Railroadfan...fan

Maybe not now but if a major company decided to build a headquarters out that way and needed rail transportation and the closest point would be Portsmouth then I can see that happening. Land out that way isn't that expensive as it is down this way. I'm sure any county out that way would love to close a deal on a major company relocation and have it on the Peavine would be an added plus.