Wheeling & Lake Erie stuff

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Ohio.
Bellevue_Guy
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Wheeling & Lake Erie stuff

Unread post by Bellevue_Guy »

I'd be interested in seeing a full list as well

Going by the info on youtube video descriptions and some posts on TO, here are 3 pairs that I know of
(even numbers are eastbound)

223/224: Brewster - Toledo Lang (CN Interchange)
227/228: Brewster - Bellevue (NS Interchange) - these apparently used to be called 221/222
237/238: Brewster - Willard (CSX Interchange)

In other W&LE news, I didn't know about it until stumbling across this time lapse video recently, but back in 2015 they did an expansion project to add more classification tracks in what used to be an open area in the Brewster yard:

Bellevue_Guy
Railroadfan...fan

Currently sitting on the Lakeshore track facing westbound is a W&LE train made up entirely of CN hoppers with this paint scheme:

It's the first time I've noticed such a train on the W&LE (and I'm not sure if it was loaded or not, much less what with)

arty flowers
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by arty flowers »

Now that's a cool movement if I ever heard of such movement. I asked for you over on the Wheeling and Lake Erie yahoo group.

arty flowers
Railroadfan...fan

Josh a railfan on the WLE site told me that they were 66 empties and CN power off the Bessemer probably heading for CN in Toledo. This is the first time Ive heard of such move....

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Seems like W&LE will interchange coke with CN for Dearborn. The Dearborn mill seems to share the traffic with CN, CSX and NS.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

Bellevue_Guy
Railroadfan...fan

Interesting, if that train had CN power they must have been on the east end, which I didn't see. It had WLE power at the west end, and I specifically remember one of the green and gray paint schemed SD40-2's on the point.

Bellevue_Guy
Railroadfan...fan

Right now there's a train of empty BLE hoppers sitting westbound on the Lakeshore. There are 2 WLE units on the front end (7013 on the point) and no power on the back end.

Looking at a PA railroad map it looks like the easiest way to get from the Bessemer to the Wheeling is via the Union Railroad. Is that how they do it?

arty flowers
Railroadfan...fan

Bellevue_Guy wrote:Right now there's a train of empty BLE hoppers sitting westbound on the Lakeshore. There are 2 WLE units on the front end (7013 on the point) and no power on the back end.

Looking at a PA railroad map it looks like the easiest way to get from the Bessemer to the Wheeling is via the Union Railroad. Is that how they do it?

You are correct....According to another poster when I asked on the other board, to reach the Bessemer in that area, the trains have to get on the Union Railroad.

arty flowers
Railroadfan...fan

Josh and AARR, I forgot to tell you two that Joshs first sighting was a train was returning to Canada after hauling granite ballast to the Bessemer. This is from the poster who told me this.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Thanks Arty
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...