Amtrak hits pedestrian in Albion

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
Super Chief
Railroadfan...fan

Amtrak hits pedestrian in Albion

Unread post by Super Chief »

Reporting this morning that 365 was held up 5 hours in Albion after hitting a pedestrian at Erie street. No word on injuries. Happen last night and another train was stopped on the line as well.

ConrailDetr​oit
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Amtrak hits pedestrian in Albion

Unread post by ConrailDetr​oit »

Super Chief wrote:Reporting this morning that 365 was held up 5 hours in Albion after hitting a pedestrian at Erie street. No word on injuries. Happen last night and another train was stopped on the line as well.
No 365 through Albion. 355?

NSSD70ACe
The Conrail Guru

Unread post by NSSD70ACe »

Second one in the last week. UM Law student was hit a few days ago in Lima Township.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.mlive. ... utType=amp
:roll:

the contents of the above post are my opinion and mine alone, and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer.

LansingRailFan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by LansingRailFan »

Rumor has it it was Cassius Winston’s brother.

NS3322
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by NS3322 »

LansingRailFan wrote:Rumor has it it was Cassius Winston’s brother.
Rumor is true:
https://www.freep.com/story/sports/coll ... 555502001/

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

Doktor No
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Doktor No »

Hold the train for five hours? For a suicide? Delay the whole line let alone the crew and passengers for FIVE HOURS? I'll never figure out why authorities would do such a thing...,makes no sense.
Curb Your Enthusiasm.

CR900945
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by CR900945 »

Remember - If an engineer hits a pedestrian or a vehicle, it is traumatic. That engineer can request to be relieved of duty or supervision may require him or her to be replaced before continuing the run. Then you have to find someone at the next crew change point or off the extra board who is qualified on that territory. That eats up a lot of time. And then the police have to check every possible scenario, etc.

Doktor No
Railroadfan...fan

CR900945 wrote:Remember - If an engineer hits a pedestrian or a vehicle, it is traumatic. That engineer can request to be relieved of duty or supervision may require him or her to be replaced before continuing the run. Then you have to find someone at the next crew change point or off the extra board who is qualified on that territory. That eats up a lot of time. And then the police have to check every possible scenario, etc.
True that.
Curb Your Enthusiasm.

Fred
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Fred »

I THINK the engineer also has to be drug/alcohol tested as well

KingsleyRailFan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by KingsleyRailFan »

of course they did. Every time something bad happens a drug/alcohol check goes out.
Consistently confused

Doktor No
Railroadfan...fan

FRA rules for a fatality, not local enforcement. Outside tester does it AFAIK.
Curb Your Enthusiasm.

hoborich
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by hoborich »

Throw in a 2 hour call time for the new crew.
"Ask your doctor if medical advice from a TV commercial is right for you".

95duck
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by 95duck »

KingsleyRailFan wrote:of course they did. Every time something bad happens a drug/alcohol check goes out.

No testing of any kind is due for the crew if the local police suspect intoxication or drug use of employee they can request testing, Barney does not supersede FRA regs

Doktor No
Railroadfan...fan

https://www.screensoft.co/blog/item/62- ... ng-in-2017 If a fatality is involved, of crew member or public, the crew will be tested per FRA/DOT rules. So yeah, wait for the tester person to show up for the test, administered per FRA/DOT requirements. The young lady CSX used (and a lot of others, I have seen her around town) came out of Vicksburg.
Curb Your Enthusiasm.

coasterrider
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by coasterrider »

Doktor No wrote:https://www.screensoft.co/blog/item/62- ... ng-in-2017 If a fatality is involved, of crew member or public, the crew will be tested per FRA/DOT rules. So yeah, wait for the tester person to show up for the test, administered per FRA/DOT requirements. The young lady CSX used (and a lot of others, I have seen her around town) came out of Vicksburg.
(b) Exceptions. Except for a human-factor highway-rail grade crossing accident/incident described in paragraph (a)(5) of this section, no test may be required in the case of a collision between railroad rolling stock and a motor vehicle or other highway conveyance at a highway/rail grade crossing. No test may be required for an accident/incident the cause and severity of which are wholly attributable to a natural cause (e.g., flood, tornado, or other natural disaster) or to vandalism or trespasser(s), as determined on the basis of objective and documented facts by the railroad representative responding to the scene.

PatAzo
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by PatAzo »

coasterrider wrote:as determined on the basis of objective and documented facts by the railroad representative responding to the scene.
So you're the Amtrak rep who arrives on the scene. What documented facts do you have in hand before the engineer heads off? The police haven't issued a report. By the time you've driven up from where ever you come from most of the witnesses, if there were any, are gone. At best you have video from the cab. Your choices are 1) don't test the engineer and months later when 800-Call-Sam is files suit you get grilled for what you were covering up, 2) have the test done and if anyone is on the hook it's not you.

As for the police the while it's easy to set at home and surmise suicide. The police have to be more objective and document facts. Quick and dirty, toot toot trains on it's way and months later when a lawyer digs up some nugget to spin into negligence or foul play the police are goats for being incompetent.

You're train gets help up because of a fatal accident. Sure it sucks. Go get a hot dog and a beer before they run out and be glad it wasn't your brother laying on the track.

95duck
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by 95duck »

Doktor No wrote:https://www.screensoft.co/blog/item/62- ... ng-in-2017 If a fatality is involved, of crew member or public, the crew will be tested per FRA/DOT rules. So yeah, wait for the tester person to show up for the test, administered per FRA/DOT requirements. The young lady CSX used (and a lot of others, I have seen her around town) came out of Vicksburg.

Stand corrected was not aware of the updated FRA regs, haven't killed anyone lately. Knock on wood.

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Unread post by Saturnalia »

I've definitely never had to take a whiz quiz under duress, but it really is a simple and painless procedure. As the above posters have noted, better to be safe than sorry in today's litigious society.

Personally I'm much more concerned that train and enginemen get the mental healthcare they require after these incidents. We talk as a society all the time about physical care for accidents and sports injuries, but almost never about the mental care which should, in my estimation, include at least a quick mental health check after these sorts of incidents. It could perhaps be stylized after the now common concussion tests - a quick quiz-type deal on a computer- to see if somebody may need further care and attention. It sure does suck to hear of train crew members suffering from it all, with or without care.

Do note that I am NOT a mental health expert nor am I directly aware of healthcare procedures for crews after incidents, but I've never heard about much being available, let alone required, after accidents unless it is directly requested. I worry that some who may need help may not be seeking it out or even realizing that they could be helped by it.
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

Doktor No
Railroadfan...fan

Your TRAINS get held up. That's all the trains on the line and all the people on them that are perhaps trying to make a connection (god help them there anyway) or have folks awaiting their arrival somewhere down the line.
Suicide is a very very selfish unthinking act when done this way.(thank you Capn' Obvious) Go out in a field and be a man. I know, that's cold but if ya wanna do it at least be the least burdensome to society as possible.
I've said this before...back in the day ETT instructions were that you leave a company rep of some sort on scene for the coroner and proceed with as minimal delay as possible. Times have changed, I realize that too...
So it goes.
And a follow to Saturnalia, yes the company provides any help you request from time off to councilling with a professional. That has deffinatly changed over the years. Some need it, some don't.
Curb Your Enthusiasm.