Incident at Durand

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
NYCMan
Railroadfan...fan

Incident at Durand

Unread post by NYCMan »

Last week, apparently there was an incident at Durand where a GLC hi-rail operated over the CN trackage without authority crossing the diamond in front of CN Train M398 causing the train to go into emergency. Also understand that the GLC employee was not qualified to be on CN trackage to begin with. Anyone know any more of the particulars?

Steve B
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Incident at Durand

Unread post by Steve B »

This should probably be treated as a railfan rumor unless authoritative evidence emerges.

In the first place, how could and why would GLC run a hi-railer on that stretch of track? HESR owns from Legion Rd to Durand, and CN from Durand to Pittsburg Rd. There is nothing that is GLC's business to maintain on that section.

CR Cabanaw
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by CR Cabanaw »

It did happen. Apparently he was given permission into Durand Yard and assumed it meant CP Durand. PTC stopped the CN train.
" "

Steve B
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Steve B »

I still don't understand why GLC would have been hi-railing another company's line. Certainly not to save time-- it would only take about 20 minutes to get from San to Pitt (the endpoints of their trackage) by highway. And let's say an engine crew in Durand needed assistance from a company truck. That wouldn't require hi-railing.

Ypsi
The Bestest Railroadfan... fan

Unread post by Ypsi »

Never under estimate a railroaders laziness.. jokes aside there are some reasons that a truck would need to be used on this track, one being employee qualifying for MOW or even train crews. If GLC needs to move MOW stuff that’s theoretically the only way. MOW can create some weird scenarios.
"Ann Arbor 2373 Calling... Milkshake. Over"

All Aboard Amtrak: Northbound, Southbound, and My Hometown

kckorienek
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by kckorienek »

It was a tamper and regulator that was moving north from Pitt, that equipment shunts where hyrail trucks do not, and they cannot easily just get off the tracks and drive down the road like a hyrail truck.
Kyle Korienek
Owosso, MI

My RP Photos - I'm Kind Of Over This Site
Flickr - I Post Here A Lot More

"I've done stuff I ain't proud of, and the stuff I am proud of is disgusting."