GRE Questions

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
DLM
Railroadfan...fan

Re: GRE Questions

Unread post by DLM »

Tracks crossed US-31 in Grand Haven to the east until the 80's if my memory is correct. The 1972 USGS map shows the tracks going to the leather company. Also, tracks also crossed Lakeshore Dr south of Grand Haven to serve the sand mine near Rosey Mound. I use to see covered hoppers at the sand mine in the 70's and 80's.

EWRice
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by EWRice »

The tracks across US31 lasted until the mid '90s. Some of the track east of 31 is still in place in various spots (along Aplebees parking lot, behind bank, the spur in front of Fastenal and through part of Grand Valley Marina's parking lot). D. Baker is along the main and had a spur through both of their buildings until about the same time when CSX told them that they would have to fork over a huge $ amount to upgrade the double crossing near their switch. That was it for them. Years before that was a lumber yard across the tracks from Baker, and I believe one near Hickory st in Spring Lake.

kd_1014
Mike

Unread post by kd_1014 »

Is that the track that goes off from the siding in Grand Haven at the PM station?

csx801
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by csx801 »

Correct, this is the branch that splits at Jackson and heads east.

If I recall correctly, the branch was called the Corn Planters Spur after the large number of Corn planters that Challenge Machine Co. shipped in the late 1890s/ early 1900s when the branch was first built. Rycenga Lumber was the last active customer on this branch. They received their final carloads in 1999 and the line was removed shortly after. I still have the Grand Haven Tribune article that Celebrated its removal buried somewhere in my files. I'll have to dig it up when I get a chance.

railrod1949
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by railrod1949 »

[quote="csx801"]Correct, this is the branch that splits at Jackson and heads east.

If I recall correctly, the branch was called the Corn Planters Spur after the large number of Corn planters that Challenge Machine Co. shipped in the late 1890s/ early 1900s when the branch was first built. Rycenga Lumber was the last active customer on this branch. They received their final carloads in 1999 and the line was removed shortly after. I still have the Grand Haven Tribune article that Celebrated its removal buried somewhere in my files. I'll have to dig it up when I get a chance.[/quot crossing?

Rycenga Lumber and Truss is located at 1053 Jackson Street on the north side about a block east of US-31, Grand Haven. Also, it had big cantilever crossing signals at the US-31 crossing. No long gates.
Last edited by railrod1949 on Fri Oct 04, 2019 10:21 am, edited 2 times in total.

EWRice
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by EWRice »

If I remember right, the crossing had cantilevered signals with long gates. I remember being stopped one time there.

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

EWRice wrote:If I remember right, the crossing had cantilevered signals with long gates. I remember being stopped one time there.
Don’t remember if it had gates or not, but it had big cantilevers with flashers for sure.
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/

kd_1014
Mike

Unread post by kd_1014 »

Does anyone know where the GTW joined up with the C&O in Grand Haven/Ferrysburg? And where did it split off to go to the waterfront in Grand Haven where the coal tower and 1223 is now?

rob
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by rob »

kd_1014 wrote:Does anyone know where the GTW joined up with the C&O in Grand Haven/Ferrysburg? And where did it split off to go to the waterfront in Grand Haven where the coal tower and 1223 is now?

it the swing bridge. the bridge was owned by gtw after they gave up the line c&o took over the bridge to use.

rob

EWRice
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by EWRice »

The GTW joined the PM just north of the bridge. Some of the track is still there, in the weeds, under US31, and into Johnston Boiler's property. That switch is where the original Ferrysburg depot was.

In its original configuration, the PM depot sat within a wye. The south leg was pulled first, I have no idea when. The north leg was pulled in the 1980's? Or shortly after they moved 1223 into downtown GH and pulled all the yard tracks to build Chinook Pier and all the other tourist stuff. If you want to see something interesting, pull up an pre 1980s map or pictures of downtown GH and compare it to now.

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

As stated by Rob and Eric, the GTW came across the river from Spring Lake and went under 31 in Ferrysburg and joined up with the PM. The track is still there on Johnson Boiler’s property and under 31. The crossing was removed probably 15-20 years ago. After the GTW abandoned their line west of Coopersville, their swing bridge in Spring Lake/Ferrysburg was removed since it was a navigation hazard for boaters. The only evidence of where the bridge was today are the large concrete abutments on either side of the river.
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/

kd_1014
Mike

Unread post by kd_1014 »

SD80MAC wrote:As stated by Rob and Eric, the GTW came across the river from Spring Lake and went under 31 in Ferrysburg and joined up with the PM. The track is still there on Johnson Boiler’s property and under 31. The crossing was removed probably 15-20 years ago. After the GTW abandoned their line west of Coopersville, their swing bridge in Spring Lake/Ferrysburg was removed since it was a navigation hazard for boaters. The only evidence of where the bridge was today are the large concrete abutments on either side of the river.
There is also truss bridge pilings on the west side of the channel at the water's edge in Ferrysburg. You can see them from across the channel or on a boat. You can also kinda see them hiding in the bushes in the park in Ferrysburg.

Doktor No
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Doktor No »

In Grand Haven, on the Corn Planters hard by US31 there was the muffler plant. (I can see the sign on the roof but can't remember the name McCord Muffler?) We shipped many C&O double door plain boxcars of mufflers/exhaust systems EVERY DAY to many many auto plants state and nation wide. Business the rails don't even want anymore and the autos have gone to nearby parts producers for their assembly plants and it gets trucked.
Just getting the cars to connect to the right train is something they are no longer capable of doing. But they did it in the 60's and 70's every day. Engines, tires, wheels, MUFFLERS and even filters (AC in Flint comes to mind) The list was endless and they made the train to the setout points. That's why DT&I advertised "We Have The Connections." That's why The Southern had the Spark Plug to Atlanta out of Cincy. PARTS is PARTS is business.
Curb Your Enthusiasm.

Raildudes dad
Roadmaster

Unread post by Raildudes dad »

Mufflers? Do they even sell them any more? I've got a 17 year old Exploer, with original ss exhaust and muffler 190,000 miles. I have a 17 year old Escape with 212,000 miles and put a new ss pipe and muffler on it 10,000 ago. Same with shocks. I remember going to the local gas station regularly with my dad for muffler, exhaust and shocks in the 50's 60's and 70's

Jetlink
Not a Railfan

Unread post by Jetlink »

Raildudes dad wrote:Mufflers? Do they even sell them any more? I've got a 17 year old Exploer, with original ss exhaust and muffler 190,000 miles. I have a 17 year old Escape with 212,000 miles and put a new ss pipe and muffler on it 10,000 ago. Same with shocks. I remember going to the local gas station regularly with my dad for muffler, exhaust and shocks in the 50's 60's and 70's
I just replaced one on my 2000 GMC Yukon XL. 144,000 miles on the original.
interested in trains

Patiently waiting for LansingRailfan to antagonize me in his tagline

Doktor No
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Doktor No »

AND THAT my friends is probably why the muffler plant is no longer there! Baddddaaa BING!
Curb Your Enthusiasm.