RPA Proposes 31 New Corridors, 3 in Michigan.

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
NSSD70ACe
The Conrail Guru

RPA Proposes 31 New Corridors, 3 in Michigan.

Unread post by NSSD70ACe »

Y’all are gonna get a kick out of this:

http://www.railpassengers.org/happening ... -in-the-us

The gist is:

Upgrading CHI-DET to 200+ mph

KAL-GRR-LAN-DET

Saginaw-Detroit-Toledo.

Plus a couple dozen other projects nationwide.
:roll:

the contents of the above post are my opinion and mine alone, and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer.

DaveO
Read more, think more, post less

Re: RPA Proposes 31 New Corridors, 3 in Michigan.

Unread post by DaveO »

I wouldn't call it a proposal. It's a poll, publicity and fundraising thing more than a proposal.
At least they didn't include a Traverse City route.
But IMHO if they are serious about expanding passenger rail service, then they should stick to actual serious route proposals.

~Z~
Sofa King Admin

Unread post by ~Z~ »

Their proposal seems like something that belongs in our Paper Railroads section.
Webmaster
Railroad photos on Railroadfan.com

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

That is a perfect fit because passenger trains aren't real trains :P
~Z~ wrote:Their proposal seems like something that belongs in our Paper Railroads section.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

Ypsi
The Bestest Railroadfan... fan

Unread post by Ypsi »

It’s all fun and games until someone has to start writing checks
"Ann Arbor 2373 Calling... Milkshake. Over"

All Aboard Amtrak: Northbound, Southbound, and My Hometown

NYCMan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by NYCMan »

Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha!

Obviously somebody writing comedy script for Saturday Night Live.

kd_1014
Mike

Unread post by kd_1014 »

200+???

DLM
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by DLM »

Can I drink the Kool-Aid too?

JStryker722
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by JStryker722 »

Out of all of those Michigan proposals,only one that makes sense is GRR-LAN-DET makes sense for a daily service BUT only if you do it by extending the current CHI-GRR Amtrak Pere Marquette all the way into Detroit along the C&O to Plymouth,turn south to Wayne JCT.,then turn east on the MC Main so that it is reasonably anchored with better potential max boardings at either end. Would require having 2 train sets a day but it give you an alternate CHI-DET routing to multiple college towns,just further North along Lake Michigan and then thru Mid-Michigan. Even if it only rolls along at 79mph after minimal track and signal upgrades and not 110mph like the Wolverine,the potential is good. Could even split it into CHI-GRR and GRR-DET just like the C&O days if you add in a 3rd and/or 4th train set.Send this extension north to Pontiac on CN too and you got yourself 8 trains a day for Dearborn,Detroit,Royal Oak/Troy,and Pontiac..the makings of beginner commuter service for much of Metro Detroit on the cheap.
My Wife says my first love is trains..anint that the truth! Lol :D

NS3322
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by NS3322 »

JStryker722 wrote:Out of all of those Michigan proposals,only one that makes sense is GRR-LAN-DET makes sense for a daily service BUT only if you do it by extending the current CHI-GRR Amtrak Pere Marquette all the way into Detroit along the C&O to Plymouth,turn south to Wayne JCT.,then turn east on the MC Main so that it is reasonably anchored with better potential max boardings at either end. Would require having 2 train sets a day but it give you an alternate CHI-DET routing to multiple college towns,just further North along Lake Michigan and then thru Mid-Michigan. Even if it only rolls along at 79mph after minimal track and signal upgrades and not 110mph like the Wolverine,the potential is good. Could even split it into CHI-GRR and GRR-DET just like the C&O days if you add in a 3rd and/or 4th train set.Send this extension north to Pontiac on CN too and you got yourself 8 trains a day for Dearborn,Detroit,Royal Oak/Troy,and Pontiac..the makings of beginner commuter service for much of Metro Detroit on the cheap.
Very well said!

justalurker66
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by justalurker66 »

"Northern Michigan Rail Corridor" is Detroit - Lansing - Grand Rapids - Kalamazoo
Not cities I think of when someone says "Northern Michigan".

kd_1014
Mike

Unread post by kd_1014 »

justalurker66 wrote:"Northern Michigan Rail Corridor" is Detroit - Lansing - Grand Rapids - Kalamazoo
Not cities I think of when someone says "Northern Michigan".
Yeah... especially Kalamazoo which is in Southwestern Michigan :lol:

chapmaja
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by chapmaja »

I find something interesting. We have been discussing the idea of extending the Detroit-Chicago train to Toronto, but that did not make their list it appears.

I do like the idea of having a Detroit-Lansing-Grand Rapids routing, as that would have been something I likely would have used when I attended GVSU and didn't have a car.

justalurker66
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by justalurker66 »

chapmaja wrote:I find something interesting. We have been discussing the idea of extending the Detroit-Chicago train to Toronto, but that did not make their list it appears.
They have a Detroit - Toronto ... and it mentions Chicago - Toronto

Detroit - Toronto

Core Express
Passenger service between Detroit and Toronto hasn’t existed since at least 1971 and, according to Amtrak, the last direct train to pass through the route did so in 1967. So when Amtrak announced that it was adding extending one of the Chicago to Detroit Wolverine runs to its FY2020 wishlist, it was met with great fanfare. The partnership with Canada’s Via Rail would be an economic boon for both sides of the border.

If improvements were made over the 230 mile stretch to accomodate for core service speeds of at least 150mph, the normally 4 hour drive could be made in a little more than 90 mins by train—minus the time needed to cross the border.

I would not run Detroit - Toronto unless the train was a Chicago - Toronto run or had a connection to a Chicago - Detroit train.

Doktor No
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Doktor No »

Excellent Jstryker, well put. Make your proposal to the powers that be and see what they say. There are meetings for the public...MAKE A PRESENTATION. I think its is an excellent idea. And gee...Back to the Future...C&O service as in 1962. How cool is THAT!
Curb Your Enthusiasm.

Steve B
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Steve B »

I'd be satisfied if all of Amtrak's Chi-Det trains could simply match the NYC's 4:45 Twilight Limited running time of the 1930s. Run that day in and day out consistently, and it'd be truly competitive with car transportation.

Since we're not even close to doing that, it's probably ridiculous to talk about 200 MPH. But who knows-- maybe it'd be easier to get money for a "moonshot" project in one fell swoop instead of
a dozen smaller appropriations bills.

I wouldn't get too excited, or angry, about that group's proposals. It's a Christmas wish list and in one form or another they've been advocating for it for decades.

JStryker722
Railroadfan...fan

Thank you for the compliment Doktor No. I would love to turn my idea into a full-fledged proposal for presentation to MDOT or even just the MARP people but I'd be lost on to come by making it happen or find out who to talk to.

Doktor No
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Doktor No »

Do a little research, make a phone call to MDOT or MARP. I am sure they would either direct you to whom to see or at least like to hear you out. They won't bite you and the worst that could happen is a polite no to your proposal. JUST DO IT...
Curb Your Enthusiasm.

JStryker722
Railroadfan...fan

Doktor No,you happen to know how to get ahold of the people of MARP? Wouldnt mind starting there.

Raildudes dad
Roadmaster

Unread post by Raildudes dad »

JStryker722 wrote:Doktor No,you happen to know how to get ahold of the people of MARP? Wouldnt mind starting there.
Google is your friend

Contact Us

Members of the press may contact Executive Committee Executive Committee Acting Chairman
Steve Vagnozzi (517) 349-4889 or svagnozzi@comcast.net
For general questions or to share information, contact MARP through marprail@yahoo.com
Our postal address is P.O.Box 405 Okemos, MI 48805
To contact our webmaster and editor of The Michigan Passenger, use editor@marp.org