Derailment in Swanton

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Ohio.
chapmaja
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Derailment in Swanton

Unread post by chapmaja »

Jochs wrote:Logan Guess was found guilty in court this past Monday.
https://www.13abc.com/content/news/Woma ... 5WFFVh7S5M
A correct to the article is need. She was not found guilty of the charges. She pleased no contest to the charges. There is a difference between the two, but in the end they are both handled the same from a sentencing standpoint.

What will be interesting is to see what sentence is handed down as a result of this. I don't know if she will serve any jail time for this, but I suspect the judge will likely require a substantial fine to be paid. I don't know if she could actually be sentenced to restitution in this case based on the charges that were filed.

hoborich
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by hoborich »

Norfolk Southern estimated damages at 1.4 million dollars.
"Ask your doctor if medical advice from a TV commercial is right for you".

bdconrail29
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by bdconrail29 »

chapmaja wrote:
Jochs wrote:Logan Guess was found guilty in court this past Monday.
https://www.13abc.com/content/news/Woma ... 5WFFVh7S5M
A correct to the article is need. She was not found guilty of the charges. She pleased no contest to the charges. There is a difference between the two, but in the end they are both handled the same from a sentencing standpoint.

What will be interesting is to see what sentence is handed down as a result of this. I don't know if she will serve any jail time for this, but I suspect the judge will likely require a substantial fine to be paid. I don't know if she could actually be sentenced to restitution in this case based on the charges that were filed.
Technically yes, she was found guilty. She pled no contest and the judge found her guilty.
Brett

NYCMan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by NYCMan »

Sadly for the railroad, the railroad will likely be "eating" the damages. First, there will be the question whether the woman has insurance at all. IF she has insurance, the required no fault coverage for property damage in Ohio is $25,000. Now, assume (doubtful!) she paid the additional premium for $500,000 coverage -- the railroad is still going to eat it after that as the woman surely does not have the remainder amount and she will simply file for bankruptcy and "walk" on that. The only "good" side to all this is that she MAY spend a few days in jail.

But, look at the wonderful photo opportunity she created!

Be glad this did not happen in Detroit. There, it likely would have been a stolen car and the driver long gone from the scene.

DaveO
Read more, think more, post less

Unread post by DaveO »

NYCMan wrote:Be glad this did not happen in Detroit. There, it likely would have been a stolen car and the driver long gone from the scene.
It didn't happen in Detroit. So that means Detroit is better than Swanton by your train of thought.

hoborich
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by hoborich »

Pure luck! Last time I was in Detroit my van was stolen right out of a restaurant parking lot at 3:00 in the afternoon. 9/11 operator told me I had to come into the station to make a stolen vehicle report.......then hung up on me!
"Ask your doctor if medical advice from a TV commercial is right for you".

ConrailDetr​oit
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by ConrailDetr​oit »

93.5 is reporting no prison time, instead 2 years probation.