GDLK Operations

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
Super Chief
Railroadfan...fan

Re: GDLK Operations

Unread post by Super Chief »

Somebody posted on facebook another stone train northbound about 4 hours ago. Was in Elkhart to see 4124 & 4209 go by the depot but didn't see it. Caught UP engines on stack train with one of the new 9800s leading 2 others. That was about 3:30 ish.

NS3322
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by NS3322 »

GAP wrote:Do the stone trains run with any kind of predictability? I know there is no such thing as a "schedule" but are there any certain days or times that are more likely? Or is it totally random?
I was told "no set schedule." So pretty much random.

Ypsi
The Bestest Railroadfan... fan

Unread post by Ypsi »

NS3322 wrote:
GAP wrote:Do the stone trains run with any kind of predictability? I know there is no such thing as a "schedule" but are there any certain days or times that are more likely? Or is it totally random?
I was told "no set schedule." So pretty much random.
Even working there we have no clue, it’s random. The days have changed over the course of weeks, the times we pick it up, which crew picks it up, how long it takes to unload, and then the same questions repeat itself when the train is trying to go back to Elkhart. My stone train got into Elkhart around 2000 tonight, NS power empty. Just depends on the day the crews, how much we have to wait on going down, and the big one how much NS wants to hold us out.

I did talk to a stone pit employee today when I was building the train, he said only about 4 more weeks of stone before they are done for the season.. so my guess is 3-4 trains then nothing till spring.
"Ann Arbor 2373 Calling... Milkshake. Over"

All Aboard Amtrak: Northbound, Southbound, and My Hometown

Super Chief
Railroadfan...fan

I have a question, are they loading the cars with a front end loader in Rich Valley or did they get a conveyer system in place? I know Kalamazoo has an unloading conveyor system but Google Maps never seems to be updated so I never see one at Rich Valley? Also when one train went under the overhead bridge in Three Rivers the cars looked to be half full? Is there a reason for this?

Super Chief
Railroadfan...fan

I see they do have a conveyor system on the last Maps update, however the rail system into the complex is not completed to show a loading method. An NS employee told me about the front end loader method which would really slow train departures. Maybe thats the case but with only 4 trains to go oh well. Are South Bend stone trains done?

Doktor No
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Doktor No »

They are only loaded half full because they don't want to OVERLOAD the cars. More cubic feet then weight capacity. That's why sand and cement cars are shorties. Remember the runaway on Cajon Pass a few years back? Idiot at the stone plant in the desert saw that the cars were only half full so he filled them to full. They showed the cars at old weight and not the overweight. Power was added to train to dynamically control a train that was VASTLY overloaded. The rest is history.
Remember, just because your pickup has a box on the back does NOT mean you can fill it up with ROCKS.
Curb Your Enthusiasm.

Super Chief
Railroadfan...fan

Elk has a WSOR passenger car here for shippers specials this Friday , Saturday and team member special Sunday. There possibly is another car coming from Lake States too. Nice touch to do this for the local communities. Running ahead of 303 Friday morning from Kazoo to Grand Rapids, Saturday running to Bristol on the south end, and Sunday running to Three Rivers and back. You now know.

cfriedri
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by cfriedri »

Super Chief wrote:Elk has a WSOR passenger car here for shippers specials this Friday , Saturday and team member special Sunday. There possibly is another car coming from Lake States too. Nice touch to do this for the local communities. Running ahead of 303 Friday morning from Kazoo to Grand Rapids, Saturday running to Bristol on the south end, and Sunday running to Three Rivers and back. You now know.
Nice touch despite the fact that getting it from Janesville to the BRC was a 14 hour day for me :lol:
Connor

NSSD70ACe
The Conrail Guru

Unread post by NSSD70ACe »

What NS operations still travel to/from Gearhart from the east? I caught a couple of NS SD40s leading a rather lengthy train EB from the yard, I think the 29th. Looked too long to be for BC.
:roll:

the contents of the above post are my opinion and mine alone, and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer.

NS3322
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by NS3322 »

NSSD70ACe wrote:What NS operations still travel to/from Gearhart from the east? I caught a couple of NS SD40s leading a rather lengthy train EB from the yard, I think the 29th. Looked too long to be for BC.
You likely saw the road train to Jackson: B33. The BC local does not use SD40s.

Does 303 still go on duty at 1000?

NSSD70ACe
The Conrail Guru

NS3322 wrote:
NSSD70ACe wrote:What NS operations still travel to/from Gearhart from the east? I caught a couple of NS SD40s leading a rather lengthy train EB from the yard, I think the 29th. Looked too long to be for BC.
You likely saw the road train to Jackson: B33. The BC local does not use SD40s.

Does 303 still go on duty at 1000?
Yeah I thought I heard somewhere that B33 was annulled but I guess not.

the contents of the above post are my opinion and mine alone, and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer.

NS3322
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by NS3322 »

Any idea why #4009 was hauling only one car today at around 11:30? Would this be 105?

eastonj
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by eastonj »

Anyone have a departure time for Sundays run to Three Rivers?

-Jeff
Super Chief wrote:Elk has a WSOR passenger car here for shippers specials this Friday , Saturday and team member special Sunday. There possibly is another car coming from Lake States too. Nice touch to do this for the local communities. Running ahead of 303 Friday morning from Kazoo to Grand Rapids, Saturday running to Bristol on the south end, and Sunday running to Three Rivers and back. You now know.

Super Chief
Railroadfan...fan

Indeed 4009 was the 105 yesterday, followed 501 around the wye by about 10 minutes according to the radio traffic with the Amtrak train director.

Super Chief
Railroadfan...fan

2 trains to Three Rivers Sunday. 1st train arrives 10am, leaves 10:30, 2nd train arrives at 2:30pm leaves at 3. Run around train at GM siding both times.

Super Chief
Railroadfan...fan

I'm sorry you asked for departure times, departs Kazoo 9am and 1:30 pm.

eastonj
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by eastonj »

Thanks!

-Jeff
Super Chief wrote:2 trains to Three Rivers Sunday. 1st train arrives 10am, leaves 10:30, 2nd train arrives at 2:30pm leaves at 3. Run around train at GM siding both times.

NSSD70ACe
The Conrail Guru

Super Chief wrote:2 trains to Three Rivers Sunday. 1st train arrives 10am, leaves 10:30, 2nd train arrives at 2:30pm leaves at 3. Run around train at GM siding both times.
How far into Three Rivers are they going? And where is GM siding? Is that the American Axle plant?

Super Chief
Railroadfan...fan

Theres been a change, GM siding is full of cars now. So the plan is the run arounds will be at Park and Cowling both times. Being power switches it will take a little longer.

OldBastard
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by OldBastard »

Super Chief wrote:Theres been a change, GM siding is full of cars now. So the plan is the run arounds will be at Park and Cowling both times. Being power switches it will take a little longer.
Might limit the view in both directions from the theater car, but a push-pull arrangement would save a whole lot of effort. Probably a spare GP35 laying around resting on a Sunday...