AA Railroad Interchange in Toledo

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Ohio.
chapmaja
Railroadfan...fan

AA Railroad Interchange in Toledo

Unread post by chapmaja »

I know the AA listed several interchange partners in Toledo, but how many are actually still used.

Does the AA and W&LE have an interchange in Toledo? If so, how does the W&LE? Do they simply cross the bridge and line their way up the AA tracks north of the bridge? They can then take what they need to CN and to the AA?

Does the AA have an interchange with CN in Toledo anymore? I know there used to be a curved track just south of the expressway linking the CN (south out of Lang) to the CSX (ex-TT) tracks going north. This has been removed, but the CN line does go as far south as the connection with the now AA tracks just north of the W&LE bridge.

AA and CSX still interchange with the moves taking place at either Ottawa Yard or Boulevard Yard which have access between the companies at both the north and south ends.

AA and NS still interchange. NS trains used to come across the ex-TT tracks from near Detroit Ave to Hallet where the trains turned south into the yard. I believe this was also how NS accessed their customers on the tracks south of the AA's tracks. I assume the interchange still takes place in the same manner.

On the same note, the AA has taken over switching of all the tracks that NS used to switch south of the AA yards correct. This would be the line running along the river and the line to Libby Glass correct?

Also, does anyone know approximately how many autoracks the AA runs out of the Jeep plant daily? It appears the plant itself only has capacity for about 26 autoracks at a time. I've heard they load 75-80 cars per day at the plant. That would require multiple switches of the cars at the loading docks each day. Also, how many other loading facilities does the AA serrvice? It appears one is next to the AA's Ottawa Yard opposite the Jeep Plant, and there is also one south of Manhattan. Are these three different loading facilities all serviced by the AA?

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Re: AA Railroad Interchange in Toledo

Unread post by AARR »

AFAIK the answer to all your questions are yes

Ford and GM were operating vehicle transloads on AA (Ford at Manhattan and GM across from Ottawa Yard). I don't know if they still are.

Sometimes AA will interchange autoracks in Milan and if Milan is full use a passing siding on NS's mainline.
chapmaja wrote:I know the AA listed several interchange partners in Toledo, but how many are actually still used.

Does the AA and W&LE have an interchange in Toledo? If so, how does the W&LE? Do they simply cross the bridge and line their way up the AA tracks north of the bridge? They can then take what they need to CN and to the AA?

Does the AA have an interchange with CN in Toledo anymore? I know there used to be a curved track just south of the expressway linking the CN (south out of Lang) to the CSX (ex-TT) tracks going north. This has been removed, but the CN line does go as far south as the connection with the now AA tracks just north of the W&LE bridge.

AA and CSX still interchange with the moves taking place at either Ottawa Yard or Boulevard Yard which have access between the companies at both the north and south ends.

AA and NS still interchange. NS trains used to come across the ex-TT tracks from near Detroit Ave to Hallet where the trains turned south into the yard. I believe this was also how NS accessed their customers on the tracks south of the AA's tracks. I assume the interchange still takes place in the same manner.

On the same note, the AA has taken over switching of all the tracks that NS used to switch south of the AA yards correct. This would be the line running along the river and the line to Libby Glass correct?

Also, does anyone know approximately how many autoracks the AA runs out of the Jeep plant daily? It appears the plant itself only has capacity for about 26 autoracks at a time. I've heard they load 75-80 cars per day at the plant. That would require multiple switches of the cars at the loading docks each day. Also, how many other loading facilities does the AA serrvice? It appears one is next to the AA's Ottawa Yard opposite the Jeep Plant, and there is also one south of Manhattan. Are these three different loading facilities all serviced by the AA?
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

trainjunkie47
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by trainjunkie47 »

The interchange track running south out of CN Lang Yard is quite active. When I was there last Thursday, CN was backing a rather large cut of empty auto racks onto that transfer track. AA also has trackage rights across the NS owned bridge over the Maumee, near the intersection of Albany and Summit. AA can interchange with each of CSX, NS, and W&LE the other side of the Maumee.

chapmaja
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by chapmaja »

trainjunkie47 wrote:The interchange track running south out of CN Lang Yard is quite active. When I was there last Thursday, CN was backing a rather large cut of empty auto racks onto that transfer track. AA also has trackage rights across the NS owned bridge over the Maumee, near the intersection of Albany and Summit. AA can interchange with each of CSX, NS, and W&LE the other side of the Maumee.
I was not aware the AA had trackage rights over the W&LE bridge (W&LE owns the bridge), but NS owns the line south of the bridge. I did not know the AA had rights over that bridge. I wonder if they picked those up when they picked up the trackage from NS south of Ottawa Yard.

The last time I was in Toledo was years ago when NS still serviced those companies and they would run across the CSX (ex-TT) to interchange with the AA instead of coming up from Homestead Yard which was strange to me.

arty flowers
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by arty flowers »

This refining customer is locating in Oregon Ohio just to the north of NS Homestead Yard but will not be an AA customer. NS will serve the plant. Alponts Interstate Chemical Company decided to build this plant here instead of over in Erie Pa.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QlHEgPI ... 8xOIk8FxxE