GDLK Operations

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
Super Chief
Railroadfan...fan

Re: GDLK Operations

Unread post by Super Chief »

They must be cause there was a total of 10 already there. Who I don't know but there the same as the ones in Hartford on the WMRR
There was a front end loader in the pit under them working as the trackwork is the same as when Gordy Morris had the line. Prarie River Materials has the yard next door.

Super Chief
Railroadfan...fan

As a side note PREX 1616 smoked it up pretty good pulling 15 cars from the Elk interchange to the WP yard for sorting.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

It's off of Robert B Chaffee Memorial Hwy. next to Diamond Sports Training Academy (which also has a team track in the back of their property)
AARR wrote:I don't know the streets but L&W has a short spur into their yard
Super Chief wrote:Not being from the area is the Hastings branch being re-habed for a new customer? Following it on Google Maps it looks like it ends at the Steelcase property along Trade Drive. Where exactly is L&W Supply located at as none of the industry had many sidings or do they unload on the main?
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

Raildudes dad
Roadmaster

Unread post by Raildudes dad »

Super Chief wrote:For Raildudes dad MSO is switching the log yard now. 1 car already in at the back of the yard. Huge train for them with 3 empties being switched in now. SRLX 7628, 7632 & 7633. 5 IFRX huge hoppers, 3 Theil tank cars for WP Paper and covered hoppers for Sturgis customers. Also more cottonseed cars for the cattle farms. Elk local 501 today had half their train for MSO.
Empties from Reedsburg WI Midwest Hardwoods, Meister Logging is a divison of with a yard in White Pigeon
Super Chief wrote:Not being from the area is the Hastings branch being re-habed for a new customer? Following it on Google Maps it looks like it ends at the Steelcase property along Trade Drive. Where exactly is L&W Supply located at as none of the industry had many sidings or do they unload on the main?
The Industrial Park had a spur down the east side of the park almost ot 44th Street. Erb Lumber had a big distribution center not far from the main. The L&W building next to the old Erb site (south) was the Grand Rapids UPS distribution center many moons ago.

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

AARR wrote:I don't know the streets but L&W has a short spur into their yard
L&W uses what’s left of the spur that used to cross 36th st and still remains intact down along RB Chaffee drive.

Keep an eye out behind Steelcase as the main private crossing behind the facilities (the one without signals) is set to be replaced, and the other crossing removed. Either end of this year or beginning of next the line beyond Eastern Ave is supposed to return to service and some kind of transload operation is to take place in the lot behind Steelcase, that is as much as I know. It is however NOT the propane customer as originally thought, they are down in the yard.
1223 OUT! President and Founder of the Buck Creek Central, the Rolling River Route! (2012-2017) President and Founder of the Lamberton Valley Railroad, The Tin Plate Road! Proudly railfanning with Asperger's since 1996. :)

Mark F
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Mark F »

One of the buildings in the old Steelcase complex has a new owner:
https://www.mlive.com/news/grand-rapids ... owner.html

Super Chief
Railroadfan...fan

3rd stone train was called up tonight. The first two taxed some of the switch points and related turnout fixtures at Cowling. The track crew was out in force there this morning before this third one was due to arrive to get everything tightened up. CN 5258 and GTW caboose 79054 were at Kilgore today. Also at Gearhart NS GP-38s 5334 & 5337 were in on the Battle Creek local. The coke coming into WP is being used in local foundries I'm told. I was also told that 40 some stone trains are expected in Kalamazoo this year.

chapmaja
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by chapmaja »

Super Chief wrote:3rd stone train was called up tonight. The first two taxed some of the switch points and related turnout fixtures at Cowling. The track crew was out in force there this morning before this third one was due to arrive to get everything tightened up. CN 5258 and GTW caboose 79054 were at Kilgore today. Also at Gearhart NS GP-38s 5334 & 5337 were in on the Battle Creek local. The coke coming into WP is being used in local foundries I'm told. I was also told that 40 some stone trains are expected in Kalamazoo this year.
How long are these stone trains running? 40 trains seems like a lot of stone coming into town. Is there a major single customer using the stone or is it just to meet the demand of multiple customers?

Super Chief
Railroadfan...fan

I was told running thru December. Balkema is a major customer and the gate is off Kings Highway. When I went down E. Michigan yesterday their looked to be 3 major piles but don't know the business as to whether they are sorting different grades or size? There were conveyors that had nothing under them yet. NS got the 3rd train to Elkhart last night at 10:30 pm. Don't know when it came north?

Super Chief
Railroadfan...fan

3rd empty stone train went thru Cowling at 9:05am today heading to Elkhart.

Super Chief
Railroadfan...fan

NS 1100 leading 4196 trailing.

Raildudes dad
Roadmaster

Super Chief wrote:I was told running thru December. Balkema is a major customer and the gate is off Kings Highway. When I went down E. Michigan yesterday their looked to be 3 major piles but don't know the business as to whether they are sorting different grades or size? There were conveyors that had nothing under them yet. NS got the 3rd train to Elkhart last night at 10:30 pm. Don't know when it came north?
Typically crushed to specification at the source, in this case most likely MDOT specs. In the case of the CIS trail which had a special gradation and a quantity of 70-80,000 tons, Stoneco railed in the 3 components and blended it in Lansing. Same way with stone to docks. Crushed to spec at the quarry and delivered to the docks. If you want a special spec by boat it needs to be a boatload or partial load if they ship in a boat with split load capabilities.

Super Chief
Railroadfan...fan

302 manifest south to Elkhart at 11:05 at Cowling.

Raildudes dad
Roadmaster

MQT1223 wrote: Keep an eye out behind Steelcase as the main private crossing behind the facilities (the one without signals) is set to be replaced, and the other crossing removed. Either end of this year or beginning of next the line beyond Eastern Ave is supposed to return to service and some kind of transload operation is to take place in the lot behind Steelcase, that is as much as I know. It is however NOT the propane customer as originally thought, they are down in the yard.
A propane transload needs a lot of fire protection in the city of GR. Van Andel Propane was going to have one at CSX, had the tanks, sidings and unloading racks installed. Then they found out GRFD required more water main capacity for fire fighting than was available. High Grade's cement transload has taken the place of the propane.

Doktor No
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Doktor No »

We also heard around the sandhouse that Van Andel built in the flood plain without proper permits from DNR.
Curb Your Enthusiasm.

Raildudes dad
Roadmaster

Doktor No wrote:We also heard around the sandhouse that Van Andel built in the flood plain without proper permits from DNR.
It is not a big problem getting an "after the fact permit". The fees double but that is all of a penalty. The stone piles have a much larger impact on the flood plain than a few tank supports.

Standard Railfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Standard Railfan »

Raildudes dad wrote:
Doktor No wrote:We also heard around the sandhouse that Van Andel built in the flood plain without proper permits from DNR.
It is not a big problem getting an "after the fact permit". The fees double but that is all of a penalty. The stone piles have a much larger impact on the flood plain than a few tank supports.
Yes, but stone piles won’t float away and catch fire like partially filled propane tanks can.

PatAzo
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by PatAzo »

chapmaja wrote:How long are these stone trains running? 40 trains seems like a lot of stone coming into town. Is there a major single customer using the stone or is it just to meet the demand of multiple customers?
One of the rumors is a "massive" rebuild on I-94. However the only thing in the area is MDOT's five year plan is a third lane from Lovers Lane to Sprinkle and replacing five bridges. Another possibility is the local aggregate mines are running our of material and encountering the NIMBY's when they look for a new source. Thinking of all the double dump trucks I used to see on Ravine Rd or going in and out of Balkema's there may be a sizable stone demand.

Super Chief
Railroadfan...fan

Come down here to Three Rivers and you can see double-dumps all over the place. Kalin, Purhman, Bailey and Fulton all hauling to this project and others. Like I previously reported Vulcan vacated the Andersons site in White Piegon. Prarie River is hauling sand for Indiana Harbor Belt switchers to White Piegon. The IFRX coke is going to local foundries here and Coldwater. US-131 is double-dump city right now. Grand Elk is in a good position to get that many trains.

dave989
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by dave989 »

Raildudes dad wrote:
MQT1223 wrote: Keep an eye out behind Steelcase as the main private crossing behind the facilities (the one without signals) is set to be replaced, and the other crossing removed. Either end of this year or beginning of next the line beyond Eastern Ave is supposed to return to service and some kind of transload operation is to take place in the lot behind Steelcase, that is as much as I know. It is however NOT the propane customer as originally thought, they are down in the yard.
A propane transload needs a lot of fire protection in the city of GR. Van Andel Propane was going to have one at CSX, had the tanks, sidings and unloading racks installed. Then they found out GRFD required more water main capacity for fire fighting than was available. High Grade's cement transload has taken the place of the propane.
The crossing replacement on Madison is done and today I see MOW work crew at the Steelcase complex hacking away.