CN Michigan Customers

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Re: CN Michigan Customers

Unread post by AARR »

Shore Line additions:
- Rockwood – R. J. Marshall Materials: Receives something in covered hoppers
- Monroe - MacSteel: Spur still connected but I don't know if they ship by rail at this time

L'Anse addition: The CertainTeed plant also gets an occasional tank car
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

blueheron13
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by blueheron13 »

Regarding the Shoreline Sub,
- The spur to the steel place has been paved over at Borchert Park Dr.
- However, new track is in place where the wind turbine towers are stored that are manufactured by Ventower Industries. But I don't know that they have ever shipped out their towers via rail. Here's the most recent picture (2018) from NearMap:

Amateur railfan trying to become a real railfan since 2017.

NS3322
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by NS3322 »

AARR wrote:Shore Line additions:
- Rockwood – R. J. Marshall Materials: Receives something in covered hoppers
- Monroe - MacSteel: Spur still connected but I don't know if they ship by rail at this time

L'Anse addition: The CertainTeed plant also gets an occasional tank car
Thanks all have been corrected.

Although, there no longer appears to be any tracks on "MacSteel" property. It apppears MacSteel was purchased by Gerdau recently.

NS3322
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by NS3322 »

blueheron13 wrote:Regarding the Shoreline Sub,
- The spur to the steel place has been paved over at Borchert Park Dr.
- However, new track is in place where the wind turbine towers are stored that are manufactured by Ventower Industries. But I don't know that they have ever shipped out their towers via rail. Here's the most recent picture (2018) from NearMap:

Thanks for these updates!

arty flowers
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by arty flowers »

What about the Cadillac Plant in Lansing don't the CN serve that anymore?

Dan Cluley
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Dan Cluley »

arty flowers wrote:What about the Cadillac Plant in Lansing don't the CN serve that anymore?
No. I don't think either plant gets any inbound loads, and all the autorack loading is out by Cory yard at the Delta assembly plant.

Steve B
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Steve B »

Some of the Cadillac/Camaro plant's output is trucked to Cory Yd and put on trains there. There hasn't been any direct rail service to downtown GM since Oldsmobile/Lansing Car Assembly closed in spring 2005.

Robertrains
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Robertrains »

AARR wrote:» Tue May 21, 2019 6:29 am
Lapeer Industrial receives a couple plastic pellet cars every week, an occasional tank car and an infrequent carload of steel.

AARR, would you (or anyone) know the operating schedule for Lapeer Industrial®? It doesn't look like they get much business per week, correct? I plan on being there Friday Aug. 23 morning/early afternoon! Is there usually activity on Fridays?
:?:
Robert Jackson (Extreme Railfan/Bluewater and Michigan Transit Museum member)

http://cooltrains.rrpicturearchives.net/

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Sorry Robert, I don't know if they have a regular operating schedule. My guess is the operate (average once a week) whenever a customer needs service.
Robertrains wrote:
AARR wrote:» Tue May 21, 2019 6:29 am
Lapeer Industrial receives a couple plastic pellet cars every week, an occasional tank car and an infrequent carload of steel.

AARR, would you (or anyone) know the operating schedule for Lapeer Industrial®? It doesn't look like they get much business per week, correct? I plan on being there Friday Aug. 23 morning/early afternoon! Is there usually activity on Fridays?
:?:
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

I am told the old PolyOne spur that was used for salt transloading has been removed from behind the building to make room for the building's expansion. I don't know if whatever is left of the spur is still used.

Man o' War
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Man o' War »

AARR wrote:I am told the old PolyOne spur that was used for salt transloading has been removed from behind the building to make room for the building's expansion. I don't know if whatever is left of the spur is still used.
Main line switch has been cut out altogether, along with most of the siding. I'm told the remainder will be removed in the spring. Was a decent and steady business for PolyOne at the outset, but lost out to trucks at the end. Seems like just yesterday they put that switch in, right about the time the CTC was being installed for the HAVEN island - late 1998.

Man o' War