Decline of the PM between Petoskey and Traverse City

Any historical questions can be posted here. Answers would certainly help as well :)
MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Decline of the PM between Petoskey and Traverse City

Unread post by MQT1223 »

Can anyone provide some form of a timeline as to when the former PM between Petoskey and Traverse City started to die off? The year 1982 seems to be the number I recall when abandonment took place (I could be very wrong about that), but I'm not sure about when passenger service ended and what really lead to the death of this line. Was this an attempt by C&O (later continued by CSX) to rid itself of unprofitable lines in Northern Lower Michigan or was there really nothing left freight wise? Following the ROW on Maps shows a very scenic line that passes by many bodies of water such as the legendary Torch Lake. I know the tracks are still intact to Williamsburg due to state ownership and GLC operation but I don't recall much of any business left on that end of the line currently.

I also noticed what appears to be a junction with another line at Rapid City? I can't seem to really find anything on that line except that it was abandoned very early which makes me want to say it was heavily involved with the Logging Industry? Looks like it heads towards Kalkaska and Grayling and continues northward? Its very hard to detect so I'm guessing the roads in the area currently use the ROW from this long gone line?
1223 OUT! President and Founder of the Buck Creek Central, the Rolling River Route! (2012-2017) President and Founder of the Lamberton Valley Railroad, The Tin Plate Road! Proudly railfanning with Asperger's since 1996. :)

~Z~
Sofa King Admin

Re: Decline of the PM between Petoskey and Traverse City

Unread post by ~Z~ »

Webmaster
Railroad photos on Railroadfan.com

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

1982 sounds about right

There was a proposal for AA to reach Traverse City by the PM connection at Thompsonville rather than Walton Jct. But the Walton Jct. line prevailed.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

Michael
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Michael »

MQT1223 wrote:I also noticed what appears to be a junction with another line at Rapid City? I can't seem to really find anything on that line except that it was abandoned very early which makes me want to say it was heavily involved with the Logging Industry? Looks like it heads towards Kalkaska and Grayling and continues northward? Its very hard to detect so I'm guessing the roads in the area currently use the ROW from this long gone line?

It looks like there was a line east of Rapid City. Have you seen this map?
http://www.michiganrailroads.com/maps/c ... ty-maps-40

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

Michael wrote:
MQT1223 wrote:I also noticed what appears to be a junction with another line at Rapid City? I can't seem to really find anything on that line except that it was abandoned very early which makes me want to say it was heavily involved with the Logging Industry? Looks like it heads towards Kalkaska and Grayling and continues northward? Its very hard to detect so I'm guessing the roads in the area currently use the ROW from this long gone line?

It looks like there was a line east of Rapid City. Have you seen this map?
http://www.michiganrailroads.com/maps/c ... ty-maps-40
I tried to find that link last night but couldn’t. Now I have a link to it. Explains why the line doesn’t exist north of Rapid City. It’s cool to see some of the really old branches aren’t totally forgotten. It’s hard to believe how extensive the PM’s reach once was. Where did they cross the GR&I in Kalkaska?
1223 OUT! President and Founder of the Buck Creek Central, the Rolling River Route! (2012-2017) President and Founder of the Lamberton Valley Railroad, The Tin Plate Road! Proudly railfanning with Asperger's since 1996. :)

Michael
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Michael »

There is a little information about the Rapid CIty to Stratford line here
http://www.abandonedrails.com/Rapid_City_to_Stratford

Based on that website and 1954 aerials I would say the 2 lines crossed on the south side of Kalkaska by 1st street.

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

AARR wrote:1982 sounds about right

There was a proposal for AA to reach Traverse City by the PM connection at Thompsonville rather than Walton Jct. But the Walton Jct. line prevailed.
I'm assuming that the line from Walton Jct was in better shape at the time or just more direct?

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

The end of ferry service from Elberta/Frankfort was immanent and the line west of Harlan was questionable so Walton Jct. was chosen
MQT1223 wrote:
AARR wrote:1982 sounds about right

I'm assuming that the line from Walton Jct was in better shape at the time or just more direct?
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

Standard Railfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Standard Railfan »

If I read the old timetables correctly, the distance from Cadillac to the old diamond in Traverse City (Kerry) via Walton is about 20 miles shorter.

At the time the Walton route was selected, most of the TC traffic was coming off the old PM west of town mostly from Cherry Growers. That of course has changed. There was also a plan put forth by Grand Traverse county to build a connection between the PRR and PM lines south of Keystone including a bridge across the Boardman river. The idea being one the lines along the the Boardman could be removed. Alas, no one could find the money to make that all happen.

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

When did passenger service end? Wasn’t this the line over the famed “high bridge”? I’m assuming something closing in Petoskey was the final nail in the coffin for this branch?

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

This is a question for 1949 :D
MQT1223 wrote:When did passenger service end? Wasn’t this the line over the famed “high bridge”? I’m assuming something closing in Petoskey was the final nail in the coffin for this branch?

fmilhaupt
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by fmilhaupt »

The line between Baldwin and Kaleva, over the High Bridge, was removed starting in late 1955. All traffic north of Baldwin was then routed via Walhalla to Manistee, then back onto the original alignment from Kaleva northward to Traverse City and Petoskey.

Passenger service north of Traverse City through, Charlevoix to Petoskey, was discontinued in 1962.

Passenger service from Grand Rapids to Traverse City was discontinued on October 30, 1966.
-Fritz Milhaupt

Steve B
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Steve B »

AARR, are you saying that the state of Michigan, planning for 4/1/76 and the end of The AA RR Co as an operating entity, considered subsidizing Conrail to run from Thompsonville to TC, in addition to CR's operation of the ex-AA, and not designating Michigan Northern to operate Walton Jct-TC?

Or, are you saying that at some point after MIGN started operating Walton Jct to TC on 4/1/76, the state considered changing the route to Thompsonville-TC instead? That seems highly unlikely.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

It was in an old AARRT&HA newsletter. IIRC it was proposed in the early 80's so AA/MIRY would have been the designated operator instead of MIGN. I recall the map more so than the story but it may have had to do with the state of MI's concern about the sustainability of MIGNs operation and their confidence that MIRY had a stronger financial record.
Steve B wrote:AARR, are you saying that the state of Michigan, planning for 4/1/76 and the end of The AA RR Co as an operating entity, considered subsidizing Conrail to run from Thompsonville to TC, in addition to CR's operation of the ex-AA, and not designating Michigan Northern to operate Walton Jct-TC?

Or, are you saying that at some point after MIGN started operating Walton Jct to TC on 4/1/76, the state considered changing the route to Thompsonville-TC instead? That seems highly unlikely.

Steve B
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Steve B »

Ah, ok. I've got those issues on a CD-- the AARRT&HA sells it-- and will have to try to dig out that info. Seems like it would have been proposed by early 1981 at the latest, since by late 1981 Mich Interstate and the state were at each other's throats.

i995impalass
Yooper Foamer

Unread post by i995impalass »

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Thanks for posting 1995! I love reading these 8) . Too bad as I get older I have more trouble remembering everything :oops: :lol: .
i995impalass wrote:Northwest Michigan Rail System Study

This help any?

railrod1949
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by railrod1949 »

fmilhaupt wrote:The line between Baldwin and Kaleva, over the High Bridge, was removed starting in late 1955. All traffic north of Baldwin was then routed via Walhalla to Manistee, then back onto the original alignment from Kaleva northward to Traverse City and Petoskey.

Passenger service north of Traverse City through, Charlevoix to Petoskey, was discontinued in 1962.

Passenger service from Grand Rapids to Traverse City was discontinued on October 30, 1966.
Passenger train service on the C&O Railway was discontinued between Traverse City and Petoskey Mondays thru Fridays only with the final run May 1, 1962 after that It was ran Saturdays only until its final run September 1, 1962 only. Remaining passenger train service between Grand Rapids and Traverse City, made its final run October 30, 1966. The trackage itself was pulled up between Manistee and Grawn and between Williamsburg and Charlevoix, February, 1982.