GDLK Operations

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
Super Chief
Railroadfan...fan

Re: GDLK Operations

Unread post by Super Chief »

Noticed yesterday at the Anderson elevator that the former Vulcan material site had no piles on the ground, the conveyor was down the yard tracks were empty. Just seems odd also the signs were removed by the road.

KC8RBK
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by KC8RBK »

Super Chief wrote:Elk is hauling sizeable trains of coil cars last 2 days. Most are the covered style. I almost thought they had the JAIL traffic back?
A few days ago I noticed coil cars as far as I could see above i69 in Marshall. I posted it in the ns board since that's who handles freight in the area. I wondered if they came from the elk

Super Chief
Railroadfan...fan

The log loadout at White Piegon is in action again. Had 1 log car loaded and the yard was full of logs. Assuming still going to Reedsburg Wisconsin.

NS3322
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by NS3322 »

Super Chief wrote:The log loadout at White Piegon is in action again. Had 1 log car loaded and the yard was full of logs. Assuming still going to Reedsburg Wisconsin.
Is this Commodity Concepts on the MSO?

Super Chief
Railroadfan...fan

You are correct Commodity Concepts. Do you known if Vulcan Materials vacated the Andersons at WP?

1TrackMind
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by 1TrackMind »

Second stone train spotted up.

dave989
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by dave989 »

Crossing repairs commencing at Madison Ave southeast.

Super Chief
Railroadfan...fan

Thanks 1 track for the stone train update.

Raildudes dad
Roadmaster

Unread post by Raildudes dad »

Super Chief wrote:The log loadout at White Piegon is in action again. Had 1 log car loaded and the yard was full of logs. Assuming still going to Reedsburg Wisconsin.
Have car number ?

GAP
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GAP »

Early this morning i heard a northbound thru Portage about 1 a.m. with a very deep throaty horn. I knew GDLK had no sound like that but many NS engines did. I wondered if it was another stone train and now I know. Thanks for the report.

GAP
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GAP »

Does anyone have a diagram or drawing of the track layout at this new stone unloading facility? It's too hard to see over the elevated Amtrak line to get a clear picture of exactly what is there. What we really need is a drone but even a drawing would be helpful.

PatAzo
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by PatAzo »

My Elk friend say the stone yard lead comes off the Gerhart ladder track at about the #2 track and goes east through the property. There are two stub end tracks that go back to the west.

dave989
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by dave989 »

Update on the crossing replacement on the old Hastings branch at Madison Ave southeast. The old crossing is tore out and they are putting in the new panel track. Madison is closed between 28th and 36th in Wyoming.

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

They were dumping ballast today and picked up an old rail with a 1961 flatcar built for the NYC but with Conrail markings. It was neat to see them taking their time today and I was able to get some shots, including the short 2 car train and 4125 crossing Plaster Creek just north of Buchanan Ave. Probably been a while since someone shot a passing train there.
1223 OUT! President and Founder of the Buck Creek Central, the Rolling River Route! (2012-2017) President and Founder of the Lamberton Valley Railroad, The Tin Plate Road! Proudly railfanning with Asperger's since 1996. :)

Doktor No
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Doktor No »

MQT1223 wrote:They were dumping ballast today and picked up an old rail with a 1961 flatcar built for the NYC but with Conrail markings. It was neat to see them taking their time today and I was able to get some shots, including the short 2 car train and 4125 crossing Plaster Creek just north of Buchanan Ave. Probably been a while since someone shot a passing train there.
Is a 1961 built car really THAT old? Yeah, I guess it is...and I was down that way today and thought about wandering over to check it out....but I had had enough of the city and fled northward post haste back to the lake and peace and quiet.
Post some pics!
Curb Your Enthusiasm.

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

Doktor No wrote:
MQT1223 wrote:They were dumping ballast today and picked up an old rail with a 1961 flatcar built for the NYC but with Conrail markings. It was neat to see them taking their time today and I was able to get some shots, including the short 2 car train and 4125 crossing Plaster Creek just north of Buchanan Ave. Probably been a while since someone shot a passing train there.
Is a 1961 built car really THAT old? Yeah, I guess it is...and I was down that way today and thought about wandering over to check it out....but I had had enough of the city and fled northward post haste back to the lake and peace and quiet.
Post some pics!
The photos are on Facebook if you are a part of Michigan Railfans.

I'll share the link for the group, shouldn't be too hard to find.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1878555 ... SEARCH_BOX
1223 OUT! President and Founder of the Buck Creek Central, the Rolling River Route! (2012-2017) President and Founder of the Lamberton Valley Railroad, The Tin Plate Road! Proudly railfanning with Asperger's since 1996. :)

Super Chief
Railroadfan...fan

Not being from the area is the Hastings branch being re-habed for a new customer? Following it on Google Maps it looks like it ends at the Steelcase property along Trade Drive. Where exactly is L&W Supply located at as none of the industry had many sidings or do they unload on the main?

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

I don't know the streets but L&W has a short spur into their yard
Super Chief wrote:Not being from the area is the Hastings branch being re-habed for a new customer? Following it on Google Maps it looks like it ends at the Steelcase property along Trade Drive. Where exactly is L&W Supply located at as none of the industry had many sidings or do they unload on the main?
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

Super Chief
Railroadfan...fan

For Raildudes dad MSO is switching the log yard now. 1 car already in at the back of the yard. Huge train for them with 3 empties being switched in now. SRLX 7628, 7632 & 7633. 5 IFRX huge hoppers, 3 Theil tank cars for WP Paper and covered hoppers for Sturgis customers. Also more cottonseed cars for the cattle farms. Elk local 501 today had half their train for MSO.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Are these for the coal/coke customer?
Super Chief wrote:5 IFRX huge hoppers.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...