The Mason Depot Is Toast

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
DelayInBlock
Railroadfan...fan

The Mason Depot Is Toast

Unread post by DelayInBlock »

According to WILX 10, the Mason depot has caught fire in a severe blaze that required multiple fire departments to respond to the call. The depot, as many here know, is a favorite local restaurant. I have been quite sad to learn this news - as I have many fond memories of eating there and chasing NS/JAIL through town.

https://www.wilx.com/content/news/Fire- ... 71032.html
Delay In Block Productions: "Railroading a Little Different than Usual."

Visit my YouTube Channel and Subscribe: http://www.YouTube.com/user/DelayInBlock
Like My Page on Facebook: http://www.Facebook.com/DelayInBlockProductions

Dan Cluley
Railroadfan...fan

Re: The Mason Depot Is Toast

Unread post by Dan Cluley »

I was by there about 6 pm. The street was blocked off, but from the end of the block the structure including the roof looked to be intact. So hopefully the damage is limited to the interior and they will be able to repair it.

chapmaja
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by chapmaja »

The updated article does have some good news. The owners lived in the upper level and will need to find a new place to live "for awhile". To me this indicates that the building was not damaged to the point of being unrepairable. The article indicates the fire burned up to 500 degrees, which seems hot, but I don't think is really an extreme temperature fire. A quick search indicates eye level temps at 600 and ceiling temps up to 1500 degrees. While it really seems hot at 500 degrees I think it could have been much worse than it was.

Big T
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Big T »

I was there... Came in as an electrical fire in the basement. Very stubborn fire that seemed to slow burn for a long time. I wasn't able to see the extent of the damage, but I believe fire damage is going to be limited to the basement with extensive smoke damage throughout. Building should be structurally sound still. 500 degrees is not a very hot fire when it comes to structure fires... media... :roll:

chapmaja
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by chapmaja »

Big T wrote:I was there... Came in as an electrical fire in the basement. Very stubborn fire that seemed to slow burn for a long time. I wasn't able to see the extent of the damage, but I believe fire damage is going to be limited to the basement with extensive smoke damage throughout. Building should be structurally sound still. 500 degrees is not a very hot fire when it comes to structure fires... media... :roll:
I was wondering if you would end up down there. How have you been. Haven't seen you around in awhile.

Big T
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Big T »

I'm good! Busy. New boss running things makes my job a little more complicated... I'll be around on deck this fall. Hope to see you then.