NS Michigan Customers

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Re: NS Michigan Customers

Unread post by AARR »

I don't recall Miller or Flex-N-Gate ever shipping by rail.
NS3322 wrote:Does Miller Trucking (in the old MC shops) receive rail service?
And when did Flex 'N Gate in Battle Creek stop shipping by rail?
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

NS3322
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by NS3322 »

Michigan Line list is complete! How did i do?
http://railroadfan.com/wiki/index.php/N ... #Customers
MichiganLine1.JPG
Last edited by NS3322 on Mon Jul 01, 2019 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Super Chief
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Super Chief »

So is there just one Jackson to Kalamazoo train now? Use to be 2 with the Battle Creek job. Seems IIRC wasn't B33 the night job and the BC train use to get to Gearhart before noon? Since we have found out the JAIL traffic goes east to Bellevue has there been a reduction in traffic to the Elk?

NS3322
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by NS3322 »

Super Chief wrote:So is there just one Jackson to Kalamazoo train now? Use to be 2 with the Battle Creek job. Seems IIRC wasn't B33 the night job and the BC train use to get to Gearhart before noon? Since we have found out the JAIL traffic goes east to Bellevue has there been a reduction in traffic to the Elk?
B33 is now on duty at Noon Sun-Thu. BC to Kzoo train is still running.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Well done NS3322! When I have more time I'll try to assist you refine it a little.
NS3322 wrote:Michigan Line list is complete! How did i do?
http://railroadfan.com/wiki/index.php/N ... #Customers
MichiganLine.JPG
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

blueheron13
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by blueheron13 »

NS3322 wrote:Where does the Michigan Line end in the Detroit Area (is it still Townline)?

Does Miller Trucking (in the old MC shops) receive rail service?
And when did Flex 'N Gate in Battle Creek stop shipping by rail?
Townline is the dividing line between MDOT-owned track and Conrail-owned track. But the line is called the Michigan Line all the way to the Detroit River, or at least to the point where CP ownership begins. Amtrak does the dispatching on the MDOT portion as far as I know.
Amateur railfan trying to become a real railfan since 2017.

12Bridge
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by 12Bridge »

LC Howard in Kalamazoo. I think it is Cottonseed they get in woodchip cars.

Graphic Packaging/Treehouse in Battle Creek is switched by CN only as far as I know. Never, ever seen NS switching those.

NS3322
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by NS3322 »

12Bridge wrote:LC Howard in Kalamazoo. I think it is Cottonseed they get in woodchip cars.
Where is the unloading done? Is this the building at the east side of Botsford?
12Bridge wrote:Graphic Packaging/Treehouse in Battle Creek is switched by CN only as far as I know. Never, ever seen NS switching those.
That is what I thought. I never have either. Thanks.

12Bridge
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by 12Bridge »

1TrackMind
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by 1TrackMind »

AARR wrote:I don't recall Miller or Flex-N-Gate ever shipping by rail.
NS3322 wrote:Does Miller Trucking (in the old MC shops) receive rail service?
They did get some coil cars in not to long ago, but I don't know if they still are.

NS3322
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by NS3322 »

Just wanted to update this thread to put on record that National Standard in Niles is not currently using rail service. (Confirms what we all pretty much assumed).

"Our Niles plant says we can, but currently do not."
(They very kindly replied to my email).

Dowagiac Train Dude
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Dowagiac Train Dude »

Hello everyone, this is my first post on this site so thank you for letting me join the wonderful world of train fans.
Unfortunately, Ameriwood in Dowagiac is no longer doing the manufacturing of products at that plant. It has actually been renamed to their parent company Dorel Industries and is now a distribution center. I do not think they are using rail at this time. I have not seen the local stop in Dowagiac in over a year. The spur is still there but just not being serviced. Pretty sad for me because I remember as a kid riding my bike every Tuesday and Thursday (local delivery/pick up days) to Ameriwood, Jessup Door and National Copper when all three were switched out. Jessup door moved to Mexico decades ago, National Copper moved out 5-10 years ago and they just recently took out the switch to that spur. The spur is still there but the switch is gone. I would really love to see some local action back in Dowagiac but I just don’t see that happening anytime soon. Hopefully the Dorel distribution center starts using rail or Mennel Milling finally gets a spur.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Welcome, and thank you for your post.
Dowagiac Train Dude wrote:
Fri Apr 23, 2021 8:13 am
Hello everyone, this is my first post on this site so thank you for letting me join the wonderful world of train fans.

Dowagiac Train Dude
Railroadfan...fan

AARR wrote:
Fri Apr 23, 2021 8:18 am
Welcome, and thank you for your post.
Fri Apr 23, 2021 8:13 am
Thank you and you are welcome. I just wish it were good news about trains returning to Dowagiac.

Steve B
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Steve B »

So for Porter-Kalamazoo the only active shippers now are Welch's and Northstar?

Dowagiac Train Dude
Railroadfan...fan

Steve B wrote:
Fri Apr 23, 2021 9:08 am
I do believe that is correct. I went by Welchs a few Sundays ago and the local was there switching out tankers. I am not sure how often Northstar (Cargill) gets switched out but there has been covered hoppers there the last few times I have driven by the elevator. Every now and then they will have a unit train there getting loaded but I believe that is during the summer and winter harvest. Typically it’s about 80-90 cars and four NS loco’s that bring them there.

Does anyone know if the huge new power plant that is being built in Niles will use rail?

NS3322
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by NS3322 »

Steve B wrote:
Do not forget Treadstone in Niles and Co-Alliance in Buchanan! I believe these are still active.
Treadstone unloads (?) woodchip hoppers full of recycled rubber mulch by Davis Cartage in Niles.

Also, the new power plant under construction in Niles will be powered by natural gas, so it is very unlikely to get rail service. One red flag is that they did not even get the generators delivered by rail to Niles; they were instead unloaded at Edwardsburg on CN.
Last edited by NS3322 on Fri Apr 23, 2021 10:10 am, edited 2 times in total.

Dowagiac Train Dude
Railroadfan...fan

NS3322 wrote:
Fri Apr 23, 2021 9:50 am
Steve B wrote:
Do not forget Treadstone in Niles and Co-Alliance in Buchanan! I believe these are still active.
Treadstone unloads (?) woodchip hoppers full of recycled rubber mulch by Davis Cartage in Niles.
Good call, I was thinking there was one in Buchanan but wasn’t sure if it was still active. I did not know about Treadstone in Niles.

Thank you for the info on the power plant also.

NS3322
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by NS3322 »

Fri Apr 23, 2021 9:55 am
NS3322 wrote:
Steve B wrote:
Good call, I was thinking there was one in Buchanan but wasn’t sure if it was still active. I did not know about Treadstone in Niles.
From what I gathered I believe that Treadstone and Co-Alliance are more seasonal/as-needed switches, so you are mostly correct that Welch's and Cargill (they bought out Northstar in 2013) are the last true major shippers on the line.

The last time Google Maps captured cars on the Treadstone unloading spur was in 2017, but the excavator is still present in 2019 imagery so I think they are still active. I really need to scout Treadstone and Co-Alliance out in person in the next few weeks...
treadstone.JPG
I believe Treadstone used to get product in those really tall garbage gondolas. They have since switched to woodchip hoppers and maybe regular gondolas.

Dowagiac Train Dude
Railroadfan...fan

NS3322 wrote:
Fri Apr 23, 2021 10:08 am
Fri Apr 23, 2021 9:55 am
NS3322 wrote:

From what I gathered I believe that Treadstone and Co-Alliance are more seasonal/as-needed switches, so you are mostly correct that Welch's and Cargill (they bought out Northstar in 2013) are the last true major shippers on the line.

The last time Google Maps captured cars on the Treadstone unloading spur was in 2017, but the excavator is still present in 2019 imagery so I think they are still active. I really need to scout Treadstone and Co-Alliance out in person in the next few weeks...
treadstone.JPG

I believe Treadstone used to get product in those really tall garbage gondolas. They have since switched to woodchip hoppers and maybe regular gondolas.
Thank you for that information. Does NS switch out the customers in Michigan City as well?