TSBY location help

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
gbw
Railroadfan...fan

TSBY location help

Unread post by gbw »

I bought this slide dated March 1978.
Can anyone help with the location. I haven't been able to identify the building on the left.
a depot or freight house
Thanks
tsby2394slide.jpg

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Re: TSBY location help

Unread post by AARR »

I believe that engine was assigned to Vassar. Based on the yard tracks it's my guess that's where it is.
gbw wrote:I bought this slide dated March 1978.
Can anyone help with the location. I haven't been able to identify the building on the left.
a depot or freight house
Thanks
tsby2394slide.jpg
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

BL2-1843
Howell Yardmaster

Unread post by BL2-1843 »

I believe Vassar would be correct. I rode this locomotive to what I think was Munger and back, but that was a long time ago.

NS3322
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by NS3322 »

#2934 has been preserved at the Coopersville and Marne. Here is a 2016 photo of the locomotive:
Attachments
IMG_9008.JPG

gbw
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by gbw »

Could the white depot looking building on the left possibly be the MC freight depot then?
According to this 1909 Sanborn map, it was approximately where the 4 large elevator silos are now.

vasser.jpg

Big T
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Big T »

I don't recall a depot or freight house like that in Vassar. The background doesn't look right either. I'm thinking this may be Caro. That would be the only possibility where there are multiple tracks like in this slide.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

IDK if it was there when TSBY took over but Caro certainly had a nice yard in its past
Big T wrote:I don't recall a depot or freight house like that in Vassar. The background doesn't look right either. I'm thinking this may be Caro. That would be the only possibility where there are multiple tracks like in this slide.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

chapmaja
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by chapmaja »

Big T wrote:I don't recall a depot or freight house like that in Vassar. The background doesn't look right either. I'm thinking this may be Caro. That would be the only possibility where there are multiple tracks like in this slide.

I don't think so. To me the sun angles don't look right for it to be Caro.

gbw
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by gbw »

Visited Caro today, building in question is MC Freight Depot.
Thanks to all for input
caroMCfreight.jpg
caroMCfreight2.jpg

chapmaja
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by chapmaja »

gbw wrote:Visited Caro today, building in question is MC Freight Depot.
Thanks to all for input
caroMCfreight.jpg
caroMCfreight2.jpg

There is something that doesn't seem right about the two pictures being the same location even with the design of the building being the same.

In the original picture, there is a significant difference in elevation between the gravel lot and the patio on the building. The ground is level in the current picture. It is possible that someone brought in a lot of fill to level the ground out, but it makes me question where the picture was really taken. Without being able to look at the track photos over the year it is impossible for me to say absolutely this was the location.

Were there any other form MC freight houses that could have had the same building design on the TSBY back then?

Big T
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Big T »

It's the same location, Jim. The grading of the parking lot was probably done when improvements were made for the building over the years. That's not that far of a stretch considering the original image is probably from 40 years ago. The angle of the sun on the locomotive would put it mid-day to afternoon in the winter months. The radio tower just left of center in the background was built in 1975 by Thumb Radio Service on Dayton Rd. It's still there today and was confirmed in the FCC tower registration. Lastly, there are only two locations with multiple tracks like in the image in the original TSBY trackage, Vassar and Caro. The image is definitely not Vassar.