CN Michigan Customers

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
Ben Higdon
Railroadfan...fan

Re: CN Michigan Customers

Unread post by Ben Higdon »

Kalamazoo Branch questions -
Are Solvay and Allnex the same company? Google shows both at the same location (former Cytec/American Cyanimid site)
As far as I know, Evergreen Packaging on Miller Rd (former International Paper) is still an active customer
What is LC Howard Kilgore? Do they share the Green Bay Packaging warehouse? Their location on Factory St is an active shipper but is nowhere near Kilgore.
Not familiar with Kaiser Aluminum, but I used to occasionally see a bulkhead flat of aluminum rods delivered to LC Howard at Factory St, so maybe that's where they receive(d) shipments.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Fabrical or something like that is in the former IP plant. They receive plastic pellets.
Ben Higdon wrote:Kalamazoo Branch questions -As far as I know, Evergreen Packaging on Miller Rd (former International Paper) is still an active customer
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

blueheron13
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by blueheron13 »

In Monroe, on the spur off the lead to the DTE plant, is this location served by CN? It is on the same track that serves the paving company I think.

http://railroadfan.com/gallery/displayimage-71790.html
Attachments
Capture.JPG
Amateur railfan trying to become a real railfan since 2017.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

The track with the cars on it is CN's. The other one is NS. It's my understanding both RR's can service the customers on this line.
blueheron13 wrote:In Monroe, on the spur off the lead to the DTE plant, is this location served by CN? It is on the same track that serves the paving company I think.

http://railroadfan.com/gallery/displayimage-71790.html
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

1TrackMind
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by 1TrackMind »

Ben Higdon wrote:Kalamazoo Branch questions -
Are Solvay and Allnex the same company? Google shows both at the same location (former Cytec/American Cyanimid site)
As far as I know, Evergreen Packaging on Miller Rd (former International Paper) is still an active customer
What is LC Howard Kilgore? Do they share the Green Bay Packaging warehouse? Their location on Factory St is an active shipper but is nowhere near Kilgore.
Not familiar with Kaiser Aluminum, but I used to occasionally see a bulkhead flat of aluminum rods delivered to LC Howard at Factory St, so maybe that's where they receive(d) shipments.
I believe allnex/solvay are the same. Evergreen is a GDLK only customer now. LC Howard Kilgore is the spur track near the wye pointing north near E N ave.

NSSD70ACe
The Conrail Guru

Unread post by NSSD70ACe »

Slightly off topic but I may have found some changes with the Kalamazoo Branch, operationally. I just drove by Kilgore Yard and the crossing bungalows now clearly say “CN - N AVE - SOUTH BEND” and I think the milepost number.

Does this mean that CN now considers the Kalamazoo Branch as part of the SBS or was it always like that?
:roll:

the contents of the above post are my opinion and mine alone, and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer.

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

I would assume it's been that way. Other than main track branches and spurs are generally considered part of whatever subdivision they branch off of.
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/

NSSD70ACe
The Conrail Guru

Unread post by NSSD70ACe »

SD80MAC wrote:I would assume it's been that way. Other than main track branches and spurs are generally considered part of whatever subdivision they branch off of.
Thanks for the info.

On my way out I saw some new foundations too. The way they’re placed and the electrical cords emanating from them appear to indicate new crossings at N Ave.
:roll:

the contents of the above post are my opinion and mine alone, and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer.

Ben Higdon
Railroadfan...fan

AARR wrote:Fabrical or something like that is in the former IP plant. They receive plastic pellets.
Ben Higdon wrote:Kalamazoo Branch questions -As far as I know, Evergreen Packaging on Miller Rd (former International Paper) is still an active customer
Fabri Kal is the former Mead location on the CN on the south side of 94. Evergreen is on the Upjohn Industrial at Miller Rd

kckorienek
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by kckorienek »

Corrections to the Flint Sub:

Potterville: Citizens does not take hoppers, they transload chemicals and fertilizer from tanks
Potterville: Alro Steel does not do rail service, siding intact
Lansing: Douglas Steel does not do rail shipment, siding intact but spiked OOS
Flint: GM CCA is a 5 day a week switch, 3-5 cars a day
Flint: Michigan Truss is an active recipient of centerbeams
Flint: Lake State is interchanging with CN, they access the mainline at CP Belsay and run into South Yard in Flint
Flint: Star of the West at Belsay Rd. is not in use for any shipping, siding used for storing MOW equipment when necessary.
Imlay City: Elevator does not do rail service, siding somewhat intact
Imlay City: Champion siding was removed a few years ago and does not do rail service
Emmett: Star of the West is not an active shipper, siding is intact
Kyle Korienek
Owosso, MI

My RP Photos - I'm Kind Of Over This Site
Flickr - I Post Here A Lot More

"I've done stuff I ain't proud of, and the stuff I am proud of is disgusting."

Steve B
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Steve B »

kckorienek wrote:Lake State is interchanging with CN, they access the mainline at CP Belsay and run into South Yard in Flint
You mean LSRC is running on the CN over to Bristol Rd?

kckorienek
Railroadfan...fan

Steve B wrote:
kckorienek wrote:Lake State is interchanging with CN, they access the mainline at CP Belsay and run into South Yard in Flint
You mean LSRC is running on the CN over to Bristol Rd?
Yeah, not all the way to Bristol Rd., they do all the work on the east end of South Yard out by the I-69/I-75 interchange.
Kyle Korienek
Owosso, MI

Steve B
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Steve B »

Interesting. Is that because CN doesn't want to bother with making a run over to the Longway interchange tracks? Let the LSRC do the work, so to speak. What kind of freight do they interchange?

NS3322
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by NS3322 »

kckorienek wrote:Corrections to the Flint Sub:

Potterville: Citizens does not take hoppers, they transload chemicals and fertilizer from tanks
Potterville: Alro Steel does not do rail service, siding intact
Lansing: Douglas Steel does not do rail shipment, siding intact but spiked OOS
Flint: GM CCA is a 5 day a week switch, 3-5 cars a day
Flint: Michigan Truss is an active recipient of centerbeams
Flint: Lake State is interchanging with CN, they access the mainline at CP Belsay and run into South Yard in Flint
Flint: Star of the West at Belsay Rd. is not in use for any shipping, siding used for storing MOW equipment when necessary.
Imlay City: Elevator does not do rail service, siding somewhat intact
Imlay City: Champion siding was removed a few years ago and does not do rail service
Emmett: Star of the West is not an active shipper, siding is intact
Corrected. Thank you for the info!

I drove through Potterville the other day, and I was wondering what the tank cars at Citizens were for. Question answered.

kckorienek
Railroadfan...fan

Steve B wrote:Interesting. Is that because CN doesn't want to bother with making a run over to the Longway interchange tracks? Let the LSRC do the work, so to speak. What kind of freight do they interchange?
The interchange track at Averill and RT Longway is disconnected on the LSRC side and the track is in terrible condition all around, the crossing circuits on that track are to be removed this summer at Averill. Just easier to make LSRC do all the work. Scrap gons and some tanks are being interchanged.
Kyle Korienek
Owosso, MI

Ben Higdon
Railroadfan...fan

1TrackMind wrote:
I believe allnex/solvay are the same. Evergreen is a GDLK only customer now. LC Howard Kilgore is the spur track near the wye pointing north near E N ave.
So the same spur as Green Bay Packaging? Or did GBP vacate the building and now LC Howard uses it?

DaveO
Read more, think more, post less

Unread post by DaveO »

Regarding Lake State running over CN in Flint.
There are no decisions or filings with the Surface Transportation Board about LSRC having rights over CN at Flint.
Track rights are under the jurisdiction of the STB.
It they're doing it, they don't seem to be doing it correctly.

Steve B
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Steve B »

kckorienek wrote:
The interchange track at Averill and RT Longway is disconnected on the LSRC side and the track is in terrible condition all around, the crossing circuits on that track are to be removed this summer at Averill.
I was referring to the other interchange tracks, between Averill and Center. Those were the ones most recently used. Indeed, the one crossing Averill has had for years a red sign marking it as out of service.

NS3322
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by NS3322 »

Ben Higdon wrote:
1TrackMind wrote:
So the same spur as Green Bay Packaging? Or did GBP vacate the building and now LC Howard uses it?
LC is on the old lumber yard spur.
Attachments
lc.JPG

chapmaja
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by chapmaja »

DaveO wrote:Regarding Lake State running over CN in Flint.
There are no decisions or filings with the Surface Transportation Board about LSRC having rights over CN at Flint.
Track rights are under the jurisdiction of the STB.
It they're doing it, they don't seem to be doing it correctly.
Could this have been something hidden in the LSRC filings to take over the Plymouth to Flint section. Could CSX have had access to, but not used these rights. When LSRC tool over they are now accessing these rights?