E&LS to Republic

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
chapmaja
Railroadfan...fan

E&LS to Republic

Unread post by chapmaja »

How much of this line is actually still in place from Channing north to Republic?

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Re: E&LS to Republic

Unread post by Saturnalia »

chapmaja wrote:How much of this line is actually still in place from Channing north to Republic?
Almost all of it. There is a bad bridge which prevents them from getting quite all the way toRepublic. Google Maps shows cars on pretty much the entire extent of it.
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

About 8ish miles north of Channing is a cement transload at Floodwood.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

chapmaja
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by chapmaja »

The reason I asked about the line north is that Michigan Railroads evolution maps show the line as removed. Looking at Google maps, it shows as storage. Also, from the Google sat. view, it looks like north of Channing is all storage. Have they reopened the Floodwood transload in recent years or is the line back to storage use.

Also, I followed the old line from Channing back to Wells. Who actually serves the Verso Mill, E&LS or CN (or both). Street view shows E&LS 1223 switching some cars in the little card on the south side of the river at the corner of 18th Rd and C. 426. It appears to be a coil car, plus a large mix of other cars in the small yard. This is on the opposite side of the Verso plant, which has its own yard with lots of cars present.

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Unread post by Saturnalia »

chapmaja wrote:Also, I followed the old line from Channing back to Wells. Who actually serves the Verso Mill, E&LS or CN (or both). Street view shows E&LS 1223 switching some cars in the little card on the south side of the river at the corner of 18th Rd and C. 426. It appears to be a coil car, plus a large mix of other cars in the small yard. This is on the opposite side of the Verso plant, which has its own yard with lots of cars present.
The Escanaba Verso plant is served only by CN. The ELS yard south of the river is used to stage cars to and from the repair and repaint shops, the ELS's only business currently in Escanaba.
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

j32885
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by j32885 »

The ELS Republic Line is mostly used for Car Storage... They go as far as Floodwood to Transload Cement. To Answer Your Question, they go as farest they go is to the Michigamme River, by the M-95 Bridge. It's near Witch Lake. This is according to Sir Mac.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Saturnalia wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 1:01 pm
chapmaja wrote:Who actually serves the Verso Mill, E&LS or CN (or both)?
The Escanaba Verso plant is served only by CN. The ELS yard south of the river is used to stage cars to and from the repair and repaint shops, the ELS's only business currently in Escanaba.
From the other board
Posted by Tom Train on 12/20/2021, 10:07 pm
Verso paper is being purchased by a Swedish pulp and paper company. They plan a major upgrade of the Escanaba mill. They hope to complete the sale by mid-2022. The sale includes the Quinnesec mill. for more see today's WLUC TV6.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...