Fiat- Chrysler Expansion

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
Jim_c
Railroadfan...fan

Fiat- Chrysler Expansion

Unread post by Jim_c »

Looks like this might be good news for rail in Detroit.
https://www.freep.com/story/money/2019/ ... 090699001/
Trails to Rails. Put the track back.

trainjunkie47
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Fiat- Chrysler Expansion

Unread post by trainjunkie47 »

It will be interesting to see how much traffic does result. Do they plan on building a loading ramp on site, or farming the work out to other facilities?

MiddleMI
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by MiddleMI »

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=36375&p=411064&hili ... er#p411064

It sounds like since my last post that one of the large parcel of lands purchased was the old Budd Co. plant lands from the Morouns. They'd demolished part of the plant in 2017 and allowed Chrysler to use it for staging. Now that the city has it, though, there is no telling what Chrysler will do. It's completely possible they use it to expand the railyard; that really makes the most sense, really. I guess we'll just have to wait for more details. I guess in any case, we're bound to see an increase in rail traffic from the place.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

With existing ramps they can load over 90 cars at a time. There are some additional existing tracks that can be converted into loading ramps adding significantly more capacity.
Last edited by AARR on Wed May 08, 2019 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

M.D.Bentley
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by M.D.Bentley »

If you look at a aerial view of Mack yard you will notice the there are gaps in between some of the tracks. the tracks are numbered from east to west. 1,2,3, and then jumps to 5, 7, 9 , 11, 13, 15, 17. The latter (15 & 17) were converted to loading tracks. Why you ask ? Well, the city of DETROIT NEVER CAME THROUGH WITH THEIR PORTION OF THE MONEY TO COMPLETE THE WORK ! Not a surprise I guess :x . Maybe this time around they will come up with he funding . Room for expansion is there, just need the $$$$.

MiddleMI
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by MiddleMI »

The city shouldn't be involved in building railroad infrastructure for Fiat-Chrysler, and it's my understanding that they are going to give FCA the land, thank god. It's going to be up to Chrysler what they want to do, rail-wise, over here and that's how it should be.

I feel like maybe we're talking about two different lots, maybe? FCA owns the land Mack Yard is on, it's included in the parcel which includes the FCA Jefferson North. The city purchased the old Budd parcel next door (directly to the west across the tracks) from Crown (Morouns), along with some other large parcels to the north and south of the plants.

GTW6401
how bout no

Unread post by GTW6401 »

Detroit will do just about anything to keep workers in town to pay that city income tax.

David Lang
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by David Lang »

Assuming that FCA uses rail to load out vehicles, who will benefit from the increase in autorack loading?

Another words, will this new business go to CN, NS, or CSX?

Thanks.

David Lang

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

It's switched by Conrail so both CSX and NS will get most of the business with CN possibly getting a few carloads.
David Lang wrote:Assuming that FCA uses rail to load out vehicles, who will benefit from the increase in autorack loading?

Thanks.

David Lang
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

ConrailDetr​oit
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by ConrailDetr​oit »

AARR wrote:It's switched by Conrail so both CSX and NS will get most of the business with CN possibly getting a few carloads.
David Lang wrote:Assuming that FCA uses rail to load out vehicles, who will benefit from the increase in autorack loading?

Thanks.

David Lang
NS handles all of the autoracks to and from Conrail and has for years.

CSX does not have many cars to / from Conrail's Eastside.

CN handles no autoracks from Chrysler in the Detroit area.

ConrailDetr​oit
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by ConrailDetr​oit »

M.D.Bentley wrote:DETROIT NEVER CAME THROUGH WITH THEIR PORTION OF THE MONEY TO COMPLETE THE WORK ! Not a surprise I guess :x . Maybe this time around they will come up with he funding . Room for expansion is there, just need the $$$$.
Building LCA was more important.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Thank you CRD!
ConrailDetr​oit wrote:NS handles all of the autoracks to and from Conrail and has for years.

CSX does not have many cars to / from Conrail's Eastside.

CN handles no autoracks from Chrysler in the Detroit area.

M.D.Bentley
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by M.D.Bentley »

ConrailDetr​oit wrote:
M.D.Bentley wrote:DETROIT NEVER CAME THROUGH WITH THEIR PORTION OF THE MONEY TO COMPLETE THE WORK ! Not a surprise I guess :x . Maybe this time around they will come up with he funding . Room for expansion is there, just need the $$$$.
Building LCA was more important.

That was along time go, WAY, before the idea for the LCA was even conceived (80's). Coleman Young era, And we know how that was :shock: