Fremont

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
1TrackMind
Railroadfan...fan

Fremont

Unread post by 1TrackMind »

Just seen a post on Facebook they are tearing down the feed mill. Anyone know whats going on? Is it shutting down for good?

NS3322
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Fremont

Unread post by NS3322 »

1TrackMind wrote:Just seen a post on Facebook they are tearing down the feed mill. Anyone know whats going on? Is it shutting down for good?
They built a new facility in White Cloud, so the traffic has been shifted to Marquette Rail.

For the non-Fakebook users on this forum, here is the photo. Photo by Mark Schumann.
Attachments
Photo by Mark Schumann
Photo by Mark Schumann

KenB
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by KenB »

That is too bad. Shot them switching the place once.

railrod1949
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by railrod1949 »

NS3322 wrote:
1TrackMind wrote:Just seen a post on Facebook they are tearing down the feed mill. Anyone know whats going on? Is it shutting down for good?
They built a new facility in White Cloud, so the traffic has been shifted to Marquette Rail.

For the non-Fakebook users on this forum, here is the photo. Photo by Mark Schumann.
The former C&O Railway trackage between Fremont and White Cloud was abandoned in 1962 and ripped up in 1963.

Doktor No
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Doktor No »

KenB wrote:That is too bad. Shot them switching the place once.
I did get to switch it a couple times back in the day, along with Gerber. Non descript scenery...dinner trains make little to no money in nice locals, (See TC) let alone greater rural Muskegon/Newaygo counties. Probably be gone soon.
Curb Your Enthusiasm.

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

The few times I've been to Fremont I've always imagined a PM 2-8-2 running through the woods here. Such a nice line, too bad it will probably die this way.
1223 OUT! President and Founder of the Buck Creek Central, the Rolling River Route! (2012-2017) President and Founder of the Lamberton Valley Railroad, The Tin Plate Road! Proudly railfanning with Asperger's since 1996. :)

Mike H
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Mike H »

Don't give up on the line yet, there are a lot of things in the works & changes are coming. The track isn't in horrible condition & could be a great place to store a couple unit trains of coal cars or sand cars. More than likely the Fremont line is going to be around for quite a few more years before anyone will give up on it.

Mike H

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Unread post by Saturnalia »

Sell it to the WMI crew - they'll be minting carloads by the dozen in no time.

GWI seems a bit uninspired to me at the moment, between the MS, GRE and MQT. Not much new traffic coming online.
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

Saturnalia wrote:Sell it to the WMI crew - they'll be minting carloads by the dozen in no time.

GWI seems a bit uninspired to me at the moment, between the MS, GRE and MQT. Not much new traffic coming online.
What else is even up there besides Gerber?

BTW good luck ever getting Gerber back.
1223 OUT! President and Founder of the Buck Creek Central, the Rolling River Route! (2012-2017) President and Founder of the Lamberton Valley Railroad, The Tin Plate Road! Proudly railfanning with Asperger's since 1996. :)

chapmaja
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by chapmaja »

Who actually owns this track? Was it a sale by CSX or is the line leased?

Personally, I think this line does have the potential to be a car storage line for the railroad. Lots of space between crossings could allow them to get a lot of cars into storage on the line.

I don't see anything above ground that would dictate keeping the line in place because I also don't see Gerber coming back to rail.

Raildudes dad
Roadmaster

Unread post by Raildudes dad »

Article in the Fremont Times Indicator today May 1 says they only removed the 100 year mill portion. The article says the grain elevator with corn drying and cooling and storage will remain along with the scale, shop, warehouses, Express Feeds drive thru and the Michigan regional offices.

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

chapmaja wrote:Who actually owns this track? Was it a sale by CSX or is the line leased?

Personally, I think this line does have the potential to be a car storage line for the railroad. Lots of space between crossings could allow them to get a lot of cars into storage on the line.

I don't see anything above ground that would dictate keeping the line in place because I also don't see Gerber coming back to rail.
This is Michigan Shore trackage.

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

Michigan Shore leases it from the owner, CSX.
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/

NS3322
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by NS3322 »

Per Facebook, 6 covered hoppers were delivered to the elevator in Fremont today. Looks like it is not the end for Fremont rail service!

kd_1014
Mike

Unread post by kd_1014 »

How often does the MSRR run up to Fremont?

~Z~
Sofa King Admin

Unread post by ~Z~ »

kd_1014 wrote:How often does the MSRR run up to Fremont?
It had been zero runs to Fremont per year. In the past week, sounds like they made a single run to drop off 6 covered hoppers. So at the current rate, let's say they go once per year :)
Webmaster
Railroad photos on Railroadfan.com

Doktor No
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Doktor No »

Twice. They have to go back and get them ya know!
Curb Your Enthusiasm.

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

NS3322 wrote:Per Facebook, 6 covered hoppers were delivered to the elevator in Fremont today. Looks like it is not the end for Fremont rail service!
What was the occasion of this run? I assumed that if the elevator was being torn down that rail service was ending. Did they just have a larger facility built?

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

I think the company still runs a fertilizer operation in Fremont. It was just the feed operation that was moved to White Cloud. However, the fertilizer operation is very small in comparison.
MQT1223 wrote:
NS3322 wrote:Per Facebook, 6 covered hoppers were delivered to the elevator in Fremont today. Looks like it is not the end for Fremont rail service!
What was the occasion of this run? I assumed that if the elevator was being torn down that rail service was ending. Did they just have a larger facility built?
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Unread post by Saturnalia »

MQT1223 wrote:
Either way, it is VERY easy to load and unload covered hoppers directly to and from trucks, so even with the buildings potentially gone, they could still do quite a bit of traffic.
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow