GDLK Operations

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
Super Chief
Railroadfan...fan

Re: GDLK Operations

Unread post by Super Chief »

4009 has been repaired and is running again. Have stone trains began yet?

1TrackMind
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by 1TrackMind »

Super Chief wrote:4009 has been repaired and is running again. Have stone trains began yet?
No NS in Wabash isn't ready yet, still signal work to be done. Switches have been installed in Gearhart and Wabash.

NSSD70ACe
The Conrail Guru

Unread post by NSSD70ACe »

1TrackMind wrote:
Super Chief wrote:4009 has been repaired and is running again. Have stone trains began yet?
No NS in Wabash isn't ready yet, still signal work to be done. Switches have been installed in Gearhart and Wabash.
Not sure if this has been touched on already but is NS gonna run power thru on these trains or is it gonna be GDLK power?
:roll:

the contents of the above post are my opinion and mine alone, and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer.

GTW
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GTW »

To answer your question NS power is to run thru along with DPU on the rear.

PatAzo
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by PatAzo »

Super Chief wrote:4009 has been repaired and is running again.
When did it loose it's turbocharger?

Ypsi
The Bestest Railroadfan... fan

Unread post by Ypsi »

When it got rebuilt this winter it was de-turboed and de rated to 2000 hp. It then hit a semi truck about a month ago and a half ago and needed body work. It is back in service. 4017 took a poop last week, not sure how long repairs will be on it. NS power on the stone trains.
"Ann Arbor 2373 Calling... Milkshake. Over"

All Aboard Amtrak: Northbound, Southbound, and My Hometown

justalurker66
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by justalurker66 »

GTW wrote:To answer your question NS power is to run thru along with DPU on the rear.
Change ends at Elkhart?

Ben Higdon
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Ben Higdon »

1TrackMind wrote:
What is "Wabash"?

chapmaja
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by chapmaja »

Ben Higdon wrote:
1TrackMind wrote:
What is "Wabash"?
My guess is Wabash, Indiana. I don't recall where these are coming from, but I wonder if they are coming from Illinois, across on NS to Wabash, then north to Elkhardt to the Grand Elk.

NS3322
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by NS3322 »

chapmaja wrote:My guess is Wabash, Indiana. I don't recall where these are coming from, but I wonder if they are coming from Illinois, across on NS to Wabash, then north to Elkhardt to the Grand Elk.
There is a big stone yard in Wabash (Rich Valley). I only know this because that is where the Fort Wayne Railroad Historical Society is storing NKP 624.

KC8RBK
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by KC8RBK »

NS3322 wrote:
chapmaja wrote:My guess is Wabash, Indiana. I don't recall where these are coming from, but I wonder if they are coming from Illinois, across on NS to Wabash, then north to Elkhardt to the Grand Elk.
There is a big stone yard in Wabash (Rich Valley). I only know this because that is where the Fort Wayne Railroad Historical Society is storing NKP 624.
You can see it on Google maps a little west of town including part of the new sidings being installed.

justalurker66
Railroadfan...fan

KC8RBK wrote:You can see it on Google maps a little west of town including part of the new sidings being installed.
I assume the construction has moved along much further than shown on the Google Maps website (July 2018).

Super Chief
Railroadfan...fan

Anybody got where the originating crew and engine base would be for the stone trains from Rich Valley to Kalamazoo? I notice also that a couple of NS lines diverge at Wabash so was wondering if anybody knew the routing to get to Elkhart as there are freights going between the two now? Also a question about the curve in Kalamazoo for 100 car stone trains with DPU power. Do crews have to qualify around that curve from NS? Or does the Elk crews have to qualify for DPU operation? Assuming power will stay on all the way could we have 2 units leading and 1 unit trailing or vice versa? 2 on the head end up the Marion branch will be on the rear coming up on the Elk if nothing is switched.

NS3322
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by NS3322 »

Not sure if this still true, but does GDLK train #105 still switch the Upjohn (Pfizer) spur Mon - Fri, starting at 0830?

justalurker66
Railroadfan...fan

Super Chief wrote:I notice also that a couple of NS lines diverge at Wabash so was wondering if anybody knew the routing to get to Elkhart as there are freights going between the two now?
Generally trains run between Peru and Elkhart. The trains may continue west of Peru into Illinois. At the north end they can continue west to Whiting. The east-west line at Wabash is the NS Huntington District, north-south is the NS Marion Branch. Both are Lake Division. Peru to Elkhart (and Elkhart to Peru) is a well traveled route.

At the north end the Marion Branch changes to Dearborn Division track (near MP 3 south of Goshen) then joins the NS Chicago Line to reach Elkhart Yard. Elkhart Yard is also the southern end of the GDLK operation (with the GDLK lease beginning at CP 1 about 1.4 miles east of the yard).

Super Chief
Railroadfan...fan

Anybody able to confirm that the Elk may paint 2204 into WMU colors? Go Broncos.

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

Super Chief wrote:Anybody able to confirm that the Elk may paint 2204 into WMU colors? Go Broncos.
On a side note I've heard the WSOR units are supposed to be painted this year and maybe the SD45 carbody unit.
1223 OUT! President and Founder of the Buck Creek Central, the Rolling River Route! (2012-2017) President and Founder of the Lamberton Valley Railroad, The Tin Plate Road! Proudly railfanning with Asperger's since 1996. :)

NSSD60M
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by NSSD60M »

MQT1223 wrote:
Super Chief wrote:Anybody able to confirm that the Elk may paint 2204 into WMU colors? Go Broncos.
On a side note I've heard the WSOR units are supposed to be painted this year and maybe the SD45 carbody unit.
Isn't the 2204 a lease unit? How could they paint that?

The WSOR units look absolutely wretched compared to their sister units across the lake on the WSOR. They must not have been ever cleaned since being on GDLK property.

Ypsi
The Bestest Railroadfan... fan

Unread post by Ypsi »

NSSD60M wrote:

The WSOR units look absolutely wretched compared to their sister units across the lake on the WSOR. They must not have been ever cleaned since being on GDLK property.
You can buy out lease units. NS has bought and painted a ton of lease units over the years.
"Ann Arbor 2373 Calling... Milkshake. Over"

All Aboard Amtrak: Northbound, Southbound, and My Hometown

NSSD60M
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by NSSD60M »

Ypsi wrote:
NSSD60M wrote:

You can buy out lease units. NS has bought and painted a ton of lease units over the years.
While that's certainly a feasible scenario, has it indeed happened with that unit or any other currently leased units to Watco?