CN Updates- April 2019

Daily whereabouts of train locations along with sightings for heads ups to other railfans.
GTW6401
how bout no

Re: CN Updates- April 2019

Unread post by GTW6401 »

ConrailDetr​oit wrote:As of 6pm yesterday, CN 3076 and Mystery Blue Painted 2036 sitting at River Rouge Power Plant.
GECX 2036 (ET44AC).

Manistique
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Manistique »

One of those new Amtrak Charger locomotives is at the Pontiac depot on CN's Holly Sub along with an GE Genesis unit. 4616. It was reported earlier on another area of this website and I saw it around 2 pm today. Might have been left there after the "test" Amtrak train ran yesterday to Pontiac left to return to Chicago last night.

Man o' War
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Man o' War »

NB Loram work train pulled into Mount Clemens yard at 13:30 or so. Not sure what they are doing. Been working around the MTC, Shoreline, Holly confluence the past few days.

Man o' War

Robertrains
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Robertrains »

Man o' War wrote:NB Loram work train pulled into Mount Clemens yard at 13:30 or so. Not sure what they are doing. Been working around the MTC, Shoreline, Holly confluence the past few days.

Man o' War

COOL!!!!! :mrgreen: This is that "Rail Grinder" like the one that was here last August, correct? I really want to catch them "Grinding!!!!" What are the chances they'll be "Grinding" on the Mt. Clemens Sub. this weekend? :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Robert Jackson (Extreme Railfan/Bluewater and Michigan Transit Museum member)

http://cooltrains.rrpicturearchives.net/

Manistique
Railroadfan...fan

Train 515 was NB past MP 22.5 on its way back to Pontiac at 4:20 pm.

Man o' War
Railroadfan...fan

Robertrains wrote:
Man o' War wrote:NB Loram work train pulled into Mount Clemens yard at 13:30 or so. Not sure what they are doing. Been working around the MTC, Shoreline, Holly confluence the past few days.

Man o' War

COOL!!!!! :mrgreen: This is that "Rail Grinder" like the one that was here last August, correct? I really want to catch them "Grinding!!!!" What are the chances they'll be "Grinding" on the Mt. Clemens Sub. this weekend? :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
No, it's not the grinder, Robert. It's all gondolas with a crane/backhoe device that is used to pick up old ties and junk along the right-of-way. Rebuilt FP40 type locomotives/cab control on each end.

Man o' War

Robertrains
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Robertrains »

Man o' War wrote:
Robertrains wrote:

Man o' War

COOL!!!!! This is that "Rail Grinder" like the one that was here last August, correct? I really want to catch them "Grinding!!!!" What are the chances they'll be "Grinding" on the Mt. Clemens Sub. this weekend? :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
No, it's not the grinder, Robert. It's all gondolas with a crane/backhoe device that is used to pick up old ties and junk along the right-of-way. Rebuilt FP40 type locomotives/cab control on each end.

Man o' War

Well that is still cool! Even though I've only seen the "Grinder" trains a few times, I have never seen this thing!!!! Do you (or anyone else) know if
they will be kept parked at Mt. Clemens this weekend? It would be nice to photograph freight trains passing the
Loram® equipment!!!! :mrgreen:
Robert Jackson (Extreme Railfan/Bluewater and Michigan Transit Museum member)

http://cooltrains.rrpicturearchives.net/

Man o' War
Railroadfan...fan

L533S left Mount Clemens at 17:25, GTW/CN, 7 loaded boxcars, 4 empty centerbeams and 27 containers for Moterm.

Man o' War

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Man o' War, have you figured out why they leave Mt. Clemens with "loaded" box cars?
Man o' War wrote:L533S left Mount Clemens at 17:25, GTW/CN, 7 loaded boxcars, 4 empty centerbeams and 27 containers for Moterm.

Man o' War
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

Man o' War
Railroadfan...fan

AARR wrote:Man o' War, have you figured out why they leave Mt. Clemens with "loaded" box cars?
Man o' War wrote:L533S left Mount Clemens at 17:25, GTW/CN, 7 loaded boxcars, 4 empty centerbeams and 27 containers for Moterm.

Man o' War
Still working on it. Have not had the chance to pin down the local crew yet. Lots and lots and lots of semi trailers come in there daily, so I'm wondering if this might not be some sort of a trans-load operation. Whatever it is, CN is keeping real busy switching it out daily.

Man o' War

Man o' War
Railroadfan...fan

[/quote]
Well that is still cool! Even though I've only seen the "Grinder" trains a few times, I have never seen this thing!!!! Do you (or anyone else) know if
they will be kept parked at Mt. Clemens this weekend? It would be nice to photograph freight trains passing the[/color] Loram® equipment!!!! :mrgreen:[/quote][/quote]

Correction - it's not a LORAM work train, it's HERZOG. It's parked for the night in the dock track in Mount Clemens. Don't know if they work tomorrow.

Man o' War

bnsfben
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by bnsfben »

M371 north through Royal Oak at 19:16 with a BNSF Gevo, BNSF Gevo, CN M-2, CN Gevo, Feromex Gevo, UP Gevo and EX CSX Dash 8.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Thank you. If the loads were coming in and the box cars leaving empty that would make sense to me.

I wonder if a local company is shipping parts out from there :? . Wouldn't it be ironic if it was a company like Tower whose plant by M59 was built with three spurs and they only shipped a few carloads before going to all truck and eventually pulled all three spurs :lol: .
Man o' War wrote:
AARR wrote:Man o' War, have you figured out why they leave Mt. Clemens with "loaded" box cars?

Man o' War
Still working on it. Have not had the chance to pin down the local crew yet. Lots and lots and lots of semi trailers come in there daily, so I'm wondering if this might not be some sort of a trans-load operation. Whatever it is, CN is keeping real busy switching it out daily.

Man o' War
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

Manistique
Railroadfan...fan

A short 391 past MP 22.5 just now at 8:30 pm with a lot of power.

KC8RBK
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by KC8RBK »

Eb manifest by 205 at 2056 with 2 cn. Short train. 2 new cat excavators on a flat at the head end.

KC8RBK
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by KC8RBK »

364 by 205 at 2105. Moving kinda slow tonight

GTW6401
how bout no

Unread post by GTW6401 »

The autoparts in Mt. Clemens have been for FCA. The warehouse is located just north of Hubbard Street.

All non-intermodal cars off 533 are setout at East Yard in Hamtramck, which are then usually picked up by a Pontiac based local, either 515 or an extra job. 515 had a cut of these cars today, which were UP or SP family cars.

Man o' War
Railroadfan...fan

GTW6401 wrote:The autoparts in Mt. Clemens have been for FCA. The warehouse is located just north of Hubbard Street.

All non-intermodal cars off 533 are setout at East Yard in Hamtramck, which are then usually picked up by a Pontiac based local, either 515 or an extra job. 515 had a cut of these cars today, which were UP or SP family cars.
Both FCA and Metro Aluminum ship out of the old Ford Vinyl plant in Mount Clemens. We are just trying to determine where the FCA parts are coming from that are stored there. Seems that the majority, but not all of the boxcars, are from western roads (UP, KCS, etc.) which leads me to believe that much of the product is being moved to or from plants located somewhere on those systems. Could be that some parts are being shipped in, as well, but most cars coming out are loaded - telltale flat springs.

Man o' War

kc8bdr
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by kc8bdr »

I caught both 371 and 391 aw Williams Lake Rd

371 at 12:03 AM had 5 or 6 engines there was a Ferromex engine 3 or 4 back. all but 7 cars were autoracks. BNSF leading.

391 at 12:21 AM. CN leading
Jim

In Waterford, Michigan

Near Mile Post 32 on CN's Holly Subdivision

Manistique
Railroadfan...fan

Two SB's went south out of Pontiac this morning. One around 7 am and one at 9 am. Both had BNSF power (two on the first, one on the second). I only saw the head end of the first and it was all autoracks. So either a 280 or maybe 116. The second was all autoracks.

A third train went SB past MP 22.5 at around 11 am. I missed it but it was very short so I presume it was a weekend 515.

By the way, with respect to those posts about the boxcars coming out of Mount Clemens, I have been seeing them on 515 when it returns to Pontiac. Never the other way though. In addition to the western roads, there has been some old GTW and CN boxcars mixed in lately too.

Train 515 with 4912 returning to Pontiac passing MP 22.5 at 2:05 pm with 19 cars, 8 of which were UP boxcars per the above discussion.

What I presume was 391 just went NB past MP 22.5 at 7:44 pm with two CN's and a short train consisting mostly of gondolas with switches in them.
Last edited by Manistique on Sat Apr 27, 2019 7:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.