Kanawha River Railroad

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Ohio.
kwh
Railroadfan...fan

Kanawha River Railroad

Unread post by kwh »

Anyone have a schedule on the WV secondary I'd like to catch them on the road. Is there even a regular schedule? I finally saw them in Watkins yard this afternoon doing some switching.

Thanks
-K

bbe125
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Kanawha River Railroad

Unread post by bbe125 »

KNWA 380 usually departs Watkins in late afternoon Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. Northbound 381 arrives in late afternoon or evening on Sunday, Tuesday, and Thursday. The crews normally operate between Watkins and Hobson (Middleport, Ohio). 380 continues from Hobson to Dickinson (Quincy WV) on Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday. 381 runs Dickinson to Hobson on Wednesday, Friday, and Saturday. This is the usual pattern but loaded and empty coal train moves can cause the pattern to be modified. For example last week 380 ran Hobson to Dickinson on Friday. Coal trains operate as needed and usually have NS road power and KNWA (WAMX) helper power. Helper power rides on the head end Dickinson-Hobson and then pushes on the rear north out of Hobson. 380/381 usually have two six axle WAMX units. KNWA has three SD40-2M black and yellow units (WAMX 4211, 4213, 4221) and a group of WAMX 6000 series ex-NS SD60's in modified NS black and white. 380 usually switches it's train at Hobson before departing. Work is performed at the south end of the small yard with the power venturing out onto the CSXT Pomeroy Subdivision which KNWA uses for 9 miles to Kanauga.

OSRR
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by OSRR »

Does anyone have a list of the current roster?

Pie39
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Pie39 »

Typically, 381 leaves Hobson Tuesday/Thursday/Sunday around midday, they usually go on duty at 10am or so. 380 is similar on the opposite days (nothing runs Saturday), but they have to work with NS to get out of the yard, so it can be into the evening. All of this is potentially off if there's a coal train running.

It's a very fun line to chase trains on, with lots of cool locations! Here's one of my favorites, at Wilson Tunnel south of Carpenter. https://flic.kr/p/TqSJuA
Modeling the Ann Arbor Railroad in the 70's in N scale.

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC7JFDy ... ja0S1o7Q9A

Cyclone1700
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Cyclone1700 »

Hey I need info on 1072 it’s in Smithers

NS3322
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by NS3322 »

OSRR wrote:
Sat May 04, 2019 8:16 pm
Does anyone have a list of the current roster?
Info might be outdated. I never got around to building a customer list for KNWA...
https://railroadfan.com/wiki/index.php/ ... r_Railroad

bbe125
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by bbe125 »

On Wednesday 1-10-24 KNWA train 380 departed NS Watkins Yard in Columbus with WAMX 4221 & 6000 (SD40M-2 & SD60) turning off the previous days inbound 381. Trailing this power were newly received WAMX 6051 & 6052 (exUP SD60M) both in modified UP paint.

Additional information has been released regarding the CRISI grant project approved for the KNWA operated lines. The project will involve rail and tie replacement, track surfacing, and repairs on several bridges on four segments in Ohio and WV. On the former NYC-PC-CR WV Secondary section this will cover MP48-110 in Ohio and in WV MP127.5-215 and MP242-245. Work on the former VGN-N&W PD District will cover MP408-435. This is a $32.5 million dollar project funded half by the CRISI grant and matched by funding from NS.

Erroneous Monk
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Erroneous Monk »

Will those ex-UP units be replacing some of the NS SD60s?

David Collins
Youtube Railfan Guru

Unread post by David Collins »

I came across the KNWA by dumb luck back in 2018 when I was driving down to Charlotte, NC (yes, the drive was miserable). We stopped at a gas station next to some tracks and what looked a coal loader around 100 yards or so down the tracks in the suburb of Charleston, WV, known as Belle.

I saw four SD60’s in what I thought was NS paint running lite, (which it was, but logos patched over and with Watco reporting marks) they pulled forward, then backed up for some reason. Nice crew on board and gave nice hornshows going both ways. I didn't see much otherwise but it seemed like a neat operation. I may have to go back down that way shoot them again.

ImageSecond-Hand by David R. Collins, on Flickr
Ferris State University’s Train Guy

Youtube: Michigan Railfan Films

Flickr: David R. Collins

SC: daveeed1k