GLC is looking for a GM

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
R.E.A.P.E.R.
Railroadfan...fan

GLC is looking for a GM

Unread post by R.E.A.P.E.R. »

https://www.ziprecruiter.com/c/Great-La ... 0-8fd9dab6

General Manager Railroad
Great Lakes Central Railroad
Owosso, MI

*Salary $100,000 to $115,000 Annually
*Benefits Offered Vision, Medical, Life Insurance, 401k, Dental
*Employment Type=Full-Time

GENERAL MANAGER, GLCR

QUALIFICATIONS:
-Minimum of 8 years managerial level experience in the railroad industry
-Minimum of 10 years of experience in railroad track maintenance, operations and/or construction in a railroad environment
-Understanding of the operations, finances, and mechanics of the railroad
-Experience dealing with collective bargaining agreements
-Must possess strong leadership and interpersonal skills, as well as honesty and integrity

RESPONSIBILITIES:

~Ensure compliance with FRA, GCOR, and GLCR rules and regulations safety and operations of a Class II Regional Railroad.
~Accountable for managing railroad financial performance including budgeting and forecasting.
~Participate in customer meetings to build positive relationships and business development initiatives.
~Manage exempt and non-exempt employees, which includes hiring, terminations,performance reviews and coaching, etc.
~Develop and maintain safety culture among all staff members and enforce safe work habits among the employees to prevent on the job accidents and injuries.
~Interface routinely with core departments and ensure proper communications at a leadership level and within the teams.
~Ensure the highest standard of track maintenance.
~Accountable for asset utilization, including: routine evaluation of capital improvement projects to maximize efficiency and safety as well as prepare the company for future growth. Set the example, create and lead the culture of mutual respect, cooperation and attention to detail for employees to deliver profitable execution of business goals.
~Communicate operational, financial, and sales status to the CEO regularly.

Great Lakes Central Railroad (GLC) is the only regional railroad in the great state of Michigan with 400 miles of track stretching through Central and Northern Michigan. We contribute to a stronger Michigan economy by efficiently serving our freight customers. GLC provides dependable, integrated transportation benefits to a growing customer base throughout Michigan. Our financial stability has allowed us to retain jobs and also create new positions as well as offer competitive freight rates in conjunction with our rail partners throughout North America. Being part of a strong railroad with an outstanding team and endless opportunity is an adventure not worth passing up.

Super Chief
Railroadfan...fan

Re: GLC is looking for a GM

Unread post by Super Chief »

Who would this be replacing at GLC? I know the operations manager was retiring last year.

coasterrider
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by coasterrider »

here ya go Buster LOL

Buster Manning
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Buster Manning »

hmmm.....

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

Super Chief wrote:Who would this be replacing at GLC? I know the operations manager was retiring last year.
Probably the GM they just "fired".
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

You can do it and it's close to home 8)
Buster Manning wrote:hmmm.....
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

tadman
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by tadman »

R.E.A.P.E.R. wrote:https://www.ziprecruiter.com/c/Great-La ... 0-8fd9dab6

General Manager Railroad
Owosso, MI

Great Lakes Central Railroad (GLC) is the only regional railroad in the great state of Michigan with 400 miles of track stretching through Central and Northern Michigan. ...
Wouldn't Lake State Railway fit that definition as well? I know GLC is a bit bigger but they both fit a very similar profile.

DaveO
Read more, think more, post less

Unread post by DaveO »

tadman wrote:
R.E.A.P.E.R. wrote:https://www.ziprecruiter.com/c/Great-La ... 0-8fd9dab6

General Manager Railroad
Owosso, MI

Great Lakes Central Railroad (GLC) is the only regional railroad in the great state of Michigan with 400 miles of track stretching through Central and Northern Michigan. ...
Wouldn't Lake State Railway fit that definition as well? I know GLC is a bit bigger but they both fit a very similar profile.
Association of America Railroads definition of regional is 350 miles or $40 million annual revenue.
With the lease of the Flint-Plymouth line they may now meet the definition. But likely not on the day when the GLC wrote the job description.

tadman
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by tadman »

Makes sense, thanks.

The 350-mile number is a bit random, I'm curious how FRA came up with it. From a casual observer, LSR and GLC are pretty similar outfits. They cover a distinct region and are not switching/terminal railroads, not a true short line, and not a national carrier. But I guess they have to draw a line somewhere.

TSB
peon

Unread post by TSB »

I'm getting bored.

Maybe I should apply.
5 years on college faculties
34 years working on railroads

RR is more fun

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

You could handle it blind folded and half your brain tied behind your back :)
TSB wrote:I'm getting bored.

Maybe I should apply.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...