Consultant report on Toledo-Detroit-Ann Arbor train service

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
DaveO
Read more, think more, post less

Consultant report on Toledo-Detroit-Ann Arbor train service

Unread post by DaveO »

https://www.toledoblade.com/local/trans ... 0190416168

First thing noticed, the consultant was paid $50,000. The same consultant involved with Traverse City. Pie in the sky rail service is his full-time job apparently.

Both 79 mph and 110 mph service considered. Really? Can you say terminal congestion issues?

I'm guessing since most of the line would be in Michigan, Michigan would shoulder the majority of the cost. But yet he went to Toledo to get his foot in the door.

Alexander Metcalf, when you see him coming hide your wallet.

If anyone comes across a study where his company, Transportation Economics &. Management Systems, Inc. (TEMS), stated a proposal wasn't feasible, I would like to know :roll:

Burb8145
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Consultant report on Toledo-Detroit-Ann Arbor train serv

Unread post by Burb8145 »

This service is pie in the sky because more direct rail routes from Toledo to Detroit and Ann Arbor are available.

In my vision, the two lines will share the segment north to Alexis Junction. The red line follows the Detroit Line to Michigan Central Station, with possible intermediate stops in Wyandotte and Monroe. The green line follows the Ann Arbor Railroad to downtown Ann Arbor, with possible intermediate stops in Milan and Dundee. If they want service to Metro Airport, buses from stations on both lines can do that job easily. If they want service to Dearborn, they can just hop off in Wyandotte and take the SMART 160 to SMART 140 or they can hop off at MCS and take the SMART Fast Michigan.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
-Red Green

chapmaja
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by chapmaja »

I personally would like to see passenger access at Metro Airport, but it would have to be put in place in the proper manner. For me the proper manner would be a connection to the Michigan Line with local service from Detroit and Ann Arbor.

This would also have to be part of a comprehensive public plan rather than a piecemeal plan which was what everything seems to be at this time.

kd_1014
Mike

Unread post by kd_1014 »

Burb8145 wrote:This service is pie in the sky because more direct rail routes from Toledo to Detroit and Ann Arbor are available.

In my vision, the two lines will share the segment north to Alexis Junction. The red line follows the Detroit Line to Michigan Central Station, with possible intermediate stops in Wyandotte and Monroe. The green line follows the Ann Arbor Railroad to downtown Ann Arbor, with possible intermediate stops in Milan and Dundee. If they want service to Metro Airport, buses from stations on both lines can do that job easily. If they want service to Dearborn, they can just hop off in Wyandotte and take the SMART 160 to SMART 140 or they can hop off at MCS and take the SMART Fast Michigan.
Would the train service take the Ann Arbor RR to Ann Arbor or will they build a separate line? I would imagine that the AA would have to do many track improvements if they are considering 79-110 MPH speeds.

DaveO
Read more, think more, post less

Unread post by DaveO »

kd_1014 wrote: Would the train service take the Ann Arbor RR to Ann Arbor or will they build a separate line? I would imagine that the AA would have to do many track improvements if they are considering 79-110 MPH speeds.
CSX to Wayne and Michigan Line to Detroit and Ann Arbor.

He's peddling a proposal that Michigan is the major part of and peddling it to Toledo.
A serious proposal of that nature needs to get started in Michigan.
The guy makes his living by consulting/proposing passenger rail service that common sense dictates will never happen.

justalurker66
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by justalurker66 »

It should be noted/clarified that the map in this thread is not what the consultant is proposing. His proposal is for a T shaped line with the top of the T running between Detroit and Ann Arbor and a branch running south from Wayne past the airport to Toledo. It would put Detroit's airport 48 minutes (or less) away from Toledo. The map in this thread would connect Toledo more directly with Ann Arbor or Detroit, but would not serve the airport.