Quarry in Wabash

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Indiana.
GAP
Railroadfan...fan

Quarry in Wabash

Unread post by GAP »

Is anyone familiar with a quarry in Wabash? I understand they are shipping stone to South Band with their own fleet of cars. Supposedly they are planning to ship to Kalamazoo also but that hasn't happened yet. So the basic questions are how often do they ship? How many cars at a time? What other info can you share?

mowingman
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Quarry in Wabash

Unread post by mowingman »

The only quarry that shows on Google maps, is the one west of town. It does have a fairly large rail loading area. Who's line is it that they connect to?

trainjunkie47
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by trainjunkie47 »

mowingman wrote:The only quarry that shows on Google maps, is the one west of town. It does have a fairly large rail loading area. Who's line is it that they connect to?
That would be the NS Wabash Main from Detroit to St Louis. If going from there to South Bend, that line connects with the Marion District. A train could conceivably pick up there, head into Wabash, get onto the Marion District to Goshen, and get on the NYC to South Bend. As it stands now, NS regularly routes traffic east out of Elkhart, bound for St Louis, and vice versa, using that route.

GTW
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GTW »

I don't know much about what is going on with the stone trains, but the quarry is located at Rich Valley east of Peru.

Ypsi
The Bestest Railroadfan... fan

Unread post by Ypsi »

The quarry is sending unit trains to Kalamazoo via the Grand Elk. Not sure of a start date, but it sounds like 1-2 trains a week is what it should be.
"Ann Arbor 2373 Calling... Milkshake. Over"

All Aboard Amtrak: Northbound, Southbound, and My Hometown

trainjunkie47
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by trainjunkie47 »

Ypsi wrote:The quarry is sending unit trains to Kalamazoo via the Grand Elk. Not sure of a start date, but it sounds like 1-2 trains a week is what it should be.
So would they run the power around the train in Elkhart, or cut the power off at Elkhart and have the Grand Elk use their own power?

Ypsi
The Bestest Railroadfan... fan

Unread post by Ypsi »

NS power all the way through
"Ann Arbor 2373 Calling... Milkshake. Over"

All Aboard Amtrak: Northbound, Southbound, and My Hometown

GTW
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GTW »

I believe there will be two sets of stone trains. One will go to South Bend around the old NJI&I roundhouse area. The roundhouse is gone. The other over the Grand Elk from Elkhart to east of Botsford Yd. along the Amtrak Michigan line in Kalamazoo. I have been around the area recently and all looks like its ready to go.

GAP
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GAP »

The first train of stone to arrive in Kalamazoo came yesterday afternoon (July 24). NS power, 7916 and 4196, with 76 cars in tow.