GLC or AA Osmer

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
chapmaja
Railroadfan...fan

GLC or AA Osmer

Unread post by chapmaja »

I was driving to work on the north side of AA today and happened to take Warren Rd across the south side of Osmer. Looking north I saw a railroad employee putting an EOT on the tail end of an empty grain train (I presume). Among the cars on the train was an old Rock Island blue covered hopper. The train was on the mainline, not one of the sidings, so I wonder if it was brought north and interchanged between the railroads or if it was simply left on the main. I assume the train was a GLC train taking it north. I don't know if the AA had power on the north end or not, as I didn't have time to look around. This was roughly 6:35 pm this evening, 4/15/2019.

Ypsi
The Bestest Railroadfan... fan

Re: GLC or AA Osmer

Unread post by Ypsi »

If he was placing the EOT is was likely a NB GLC. Most of the time both railroads are not there at the same time, and the AA road train is called out of toloedo adound 10-11pm still I believe.
"Ann Arbor 2373 Calling... Milkshake. Over"

All Aboard Amtrak: Northbound, Southbound, and My Hometown

chapmaja
Railroadfan...fan

I have witnessed the AA run grain trains north to the GLC or come down from Osmer with a grain train separate from the normal evening grain train. Grains trains on the AA can be included in the normal train or interchanged "live" between the railroads.

The fact it was on the main, rather than one or both sidings can be a sign that it was a "live" interchange. When I have seen those however they have generally been in the morning, rather than in the evening.

Ypsi
The Bestest Railroadfan... fan

Unread post by Ypsi »

Most of the times I have caught both railroads present have been mid evening, or during the day on weekends. Generally the AA runs up here after midnight/ 2 am and GLC comes in the evening. Below are my observations on the interchange as well as videos of both cases of interchange for the GLC.

Generally if its both railroads present at the interchange, they will leave the AA will put their cars in the two sidings, generally the west track first and if need be the east track. The AA will leave their power in the siding until the GLC power is clear. The GLC will leave their train on the main and then clear in the main. The AA will take their power to the GLC, and while they are doing this the GLC will get into the siding. After this is done, the AA will pull down and swap FREDs with the GLC. The AA will clear, then the GLC will start to pull or double their train (depending on how many cars they have). Once the GLC has hung their FRED they will head north. It is done this way since the train being left won't block any major roads most of the time if it is left on the GLC side.

Both Railroads present Interchange: Starting with the AA putting it's train away, and ending with the GLC pulling out this shows the interchange process with both railroads present.

If it is just One railroad doing interchange they will pull cars down a free track, then run around to get their cars. If they have to double or the conductor has a truck, they may end up hanging the FRED on the main.

Just GLC doing interchange.

"Ann Arbor 2373 Calling... Milkshake. Over"

All Aboard Amtrak: Northbound, Southbound, and My Hometown

chapmaja
Railroadfan...fan

I completely agree with your description of how they do things, when both have a train at the interchange.

What I have seen in the past is a bit different when a full grain train is involved. I have witnessed the AA bring the train up, then cut off the power and move it to the siding. The GLC has run light to the interchange to pick up the grain train, and sits north of the the Joy Rd crossing, waiting for the AA. The AA brings the train up the main, stops short of the switch, then moves the power into the one of the sidings. The GLC crew moves down, hooks onto the train, pulls north and the AA crew uses the siding to head south light power.

I have also witnessed the AA sitting light power short of the Pontiac Trail during daylight hours, waiting for the GLC to bring a long southbound to the interchange, and the process happens in reverse.

The second siding has changed things substantially with how the interchange works, and honestly makes things a lot easier. I recall many years ago when the GLC (or maybe TSBY at that time had picked up a grain train at AnnPere, and had a nearly full siding train to pick up at Osmer. The crew was trying to figure out how the heck they were going get that much train moved around in that small space. They headed back north to Durand and Owosso with well over 100 cars that day. It was a very interesting day for the crew.