Lake State to Lease CSX Line from Plymouth to Mt. Morris

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Re: Lake State to Lease CSX Line from Plymouth to Mt. Morris

Unread post by Saturnalia »

CSX will vacate tomorrow (the 30th) and LSRC will start ops on the 31st.
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

atrainguy60
Saginaw Sub Foamer

Unread post by atrainguy60 »

https://trn.trains.com/news/news-wire/2 ... r-csx-line

In addition to the info that SD80MAC and Saturnalia already posted, the article says that LSRC is going to return some locations that CSX has been using for storage back to being active tracks. This includes McGrew Yard which has had more than 75% of it's tracks either empty or used for storage. McGrew will ultimately become the "focal point" of LSRC operations, with multiple yard jobs and road freights originating and terminating there.

BamaSubdivision94
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by BamaSubdivision94 »

atrainguy60 wrote:https://trn.trains.com/news/news-wire/2 ... r-csx-line

In addition to the info that SD80MAC and Saturnalia already posted, the article says that LSRC is going to return some locations that CSX has been using for storage back to being active tracks. This includes McGrew Yard which has had more than 75% of it's tracks either empty or used for storage. McGrew will ultimately become the "focal point" of LSRC operations, with multiple yard jobs and road freights originating and terminating there.
What does that mean for Saginaw? Are they gonna axe the road trains that originate/terminate there or supplant them with additional ones to/from Flint?

Robertrains
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Robertrains »

Saturnalia wrote:CSX will vacate tomorrow (the 30th) and LSRC will start ops on the 31st.

OK, I will "Railfan" in Holly today (3-30) with my good friend "Mazon!!!!" I guess we'll catch the "Last" of CSX on this line!!!! Now, will any trains bring in power for
LSRC today? Also, I know LSRC purchased the old "Chessie" cabooses that were used on locals out of Plymouth! I heard one will be painted into LSRC colors and used as an office in Wixom and the others will be used as "Shoving Platforms!!!!" :mrgreen: That's awesome! :D Let's see what happens!!!! Last Saturday, 3-23, I photographed northbound D735 crossing the C&O painted bridge over 6 Mile near Northville!!!!

BamaSubdivision94 wrote:
atrainguy60 wrote:https://trn.trains.com/news/news-wire/2 ... r-csx-line

What does that mean for Saginaw? Are they gonna axe the road trains that originate/terminate there or supplant them with additional ones to/from Flint?

I guess time will tell!!!! This is pretty exciting for Michigan and our shortlines!!!! :!: Let's hope
Lake State Railway® stays "Independent" and G&W doesn't try anything!!!! :!: :!:
Robert Jackson (Extreme Railfan/Bluewater and Michigan Transit Museum member)

http://cooltrains.rrpicturearchives.net/

dave989
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by dave989 »

It would be nice to have some of that positive karma on the west side of the state!

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

Do we have any idea as to when LSRC will run the first train on Sunday and what the symbols for said trains will be? Will there be a local along with a road freight or will a single train that serves industries as it goes up and down the line be the way to go?
1223 OUT! President and Founder of the Buck Creek Central, the Rolling River Route! (2012-2017) President and Founder of the Lamberton Valley Railroad, The Tin Plate Road! Proudly railfanning with Asperger's since 1996. :)

atrainguy60
Saginaw Sub Foamer

Unread post by atrainguy60 »

A 25 minute interview with the LSRC president. I found it interesting when he mentions "very significant" future growth coming soon. I believe it's at the 22:20 mark.

https://www.wsgw.com/focus-lake-state-railway/

Robertrains
Railroadfan...fan

Robertrains wrote:
Saturnalia wrote:CSX will vacate tomorrow (the 30th) and LSRC will start ops on the 31st.

OK, I will "Railfan" in Holly today (3-30) with my good friend "Mazon!!!!" I guess we'll catch the "Last" of CSX on this line!!!! Now, will any trains bring in power for
LSRC today? Also, I know LSRC purchased the old "Chessie" cabooses that were used on locals out of Plymouth! I heard one will be painted into LSRC colors and used as an office in Wixom and the others will be used as "Shoving Platforms!!!!" :mrgreen: That's awesome! :D Let's see what happens!!!! Last Saturday, 3-23, I photographed northbound D735 crossing the C&O painted bridge over 6 Mile near Northville!!!!
Well I was in Holly yesterday (3-30) and LSRC or CSX didn't run any trains; the last CSX trains were Friday, 3-29!!!! We only caught one good northbound CN train with an ex CSX leader, CN (IC) C44-9W and two CEFX SD60 locos in SOO paint!!!! :mrgreen:
MQT1223 wrote:Do we have any idea as to when LSRC will run the first train on Sunday and what the symbols for said trains will be? Will there be a local along with a road freight or will a single train that serves industries as it goes up and down the line be the way to go?

I heard they will go to Plymouth early this morning to take the first train north!!!!

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

Apparently Lake State is indeed running trains on their new trackage today. Confirmed Southbound through Holly around 10:40.
1223 OUT! President and Founder of the Buck Creek Central, the Rolling River Route! (2012-2017) President and Founder of the Lamberton Valley Railroad, The Tin Plate Road! Proudly railfanning with Asperger's since 1996. :)

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Thanks for posting atrainguy. I appreciate he uses words that us non-railroading people can understand :) .
atrainguy60 wrote:A 25 minute interview with the LSRC president. I found it interesting when he mentions "very significant" future growth coming soon. I believe it's at the 22:20 mark.

https://www.wsgw.com/focus-lake-state-railway/
Last edited by AARR on Sun Mar 31, 2019 5:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

Fred
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Fred »

Northbound thru Milford at 210pm

1TrackMind
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by 1TrackMind »

Is the LSRC still going to use the signal system between Flint and Plymouth?

DaveO
Read more, think more, post less

Unread post by DaveO »

1TrackMind wrote:Is the LSRC still going to use the signal system between Flint and Plymouth?
Yes. They can't discontinue the use of the signal system without applying to the FRA and receiving permission to do so.
They applied to discontinue the signals between Flint and Saginaw. That wasn't approved so you can get an idea that the Flint to Plymouth signals likely will stay in use.

Robertrains
Railroadfan...fan

MQT1223 wrote:
Fred wrote:Northbound thru Milford at 210pm
Apparently Lake State is indeed running trains on their new trackage today. Confirmed Southbound through Holly around 10:40.

MQT1223, we waited hours for the
"First" LSRC train at the 12 Mile road crossing, Novi!!!!! It wasn't the very early morning like I was told! There was still ice on the tracks when we got there mid morning! I later heard the train coming on my scanner and saw the light before noon (red signals entire time)!!!! I should have went straight to Wixom or waited there in the first place!!!! The train was backing up and we were late to get to it! I still got some pix when it backed in the yard though! They backed in a "Bay Window" caboose in LSRC colors (former Chessie)! The power was a SD40-2 #63XX and GP40-2! I hope they will use this nice caboose here!!!! Well that's all I got on the "First Day!!!!" :?

Fred, what train went north through Milford, 3-31? Was it a grain train? What kind of power pulled? Was it "Run Through" CSX engines?

Robertrains
Railroadfan...fan

Robertrains wrote:
MQT1223 wrote:
Fred wrote:Northbound thru Milford at 210pm

MQT1223, we waited hours for the
"First" LSRC train at the 12 Mile road crossing, Novi!!!!! It wasn't the very early morning like I was told! There was still ice on the tracks when we got there mid morning! I later heard the train coming on my scanner and saw the light before noon (red signals entire time)!!!! I should have went straight to Wixom or waited there in the first place!!!! The train was backing up and we were late to get to it! I still got some pix when it backed in the yard though! They backed in a "Bay Window" caboose in LSRC colors (former Chessie)! The power was a SD40-2 #63XX and GP40-2! I hope they will use this nice caboose here!!!! Well that's all I got on the "First Day!!!!" :?

Fred, what train went north through Milford, 3-31? Was it a grain train? What kind of power pulled? Was it "Run Through" CSX engines?
That "First" LSRC train's power was led by "Support Our Troops" SD40-2 #6302 and GP40-2 #1166!!!! Did anyone else here "Capture" that train or any others on Sunday 3-31? What other "Power" was used on any other trains that day? Does anyone know their schedule for this line? :?: This is very exciting having LSRC much closer to home!!!! :wink:

blueheron13
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by blueheron13 »

Fred, what train went north through Milford, 3-31? Was it a grain train? What kind of power pulled? Was it "Run Through" CSX engines?[/color][/quote]
That "First" LSRC train's power was led by "Support Our Troops" SD40-2 #6302 and GP40-2 #1166!!!! Did anyone else here "Capture" that train or any others on Sunday 3-31? What other "Power" was used on any other trains that day? Does anyone know their schedule for this line? :?: This is very exciting having LSRC much closer to home!!!! :wink:[/quote]

- A good picture of the first LSRC train (the SB train you mentioned with two engines and caboose) was taken by Facebook user "United Railfan Photos".
- I personally saw the first NB train in Flint on Sunday afternoon, which was simply a grain train with CSX 3351 for power.
- The engines that came south on Saturday took a D735-style train north on Monday afternoon. There are many pictures of this train out there. Apparently the first engine ran long hood forward, and the two engines were nose-to-nose.
- I don't know if any other trains have gone north or south.

It's seems too early to get a feel for a regular schedule yet.
Amateur railfan trying to become a real railfan since 2017.

Ben Higdon
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Ben Higdon »

The auto parts boxcars that had been stored in Wixom Yd for months (years?) are gone. Just 2 bay covered hoppers now

Robertrains
Railroadfan...fan

Robertrains wrote:Fred, what train went north through Milford, 3-31? Was it a grain train? What kind of power pulled? Was it "Run Through" CSX engines?

That "First" LSRC train's power was led by "Support Our Troops" SD40-2 #6302 and GP40-2 #1166!!!! Did anyone else here "Capture" that train or any others on Sunday 3-31? What other "Power" was used on any other trains that day? Does anyone know their schedule for this line? :?: This is very exciting having LSRC much closer to home!!!! :wink:
blueheron13 wrote:- A good picture of the first LSRC train (the SB train you mentioned with two engines and caboose) was taken by Facebook user "United Railfan Photos".
- I personally saw the first NB train in Flint on Sunday afternoon, which was simply a grain train with CSX 3351 for power.
- The engines that came south on Saturday took a D735-style train north on Monday afternoon. There are many pictures of this train out there. Apparently the first engine ran long hood forward, and the two engines were nose-to-nose.
- I don't know if any other trains have gone north or south.

It's seems too early to get a feel for a regular schedule yet.

OK, blueheron13, can you share a "Link" of the "Long Hood Forward" train? You mean the engines that came on Sunday, 3-31, correct (not 'Saturday')? Were those the
LSRC engines taking the D735-style train north on Monday afternoon? Why did they go "Long Hood Forward?" That is alright though!!!! :mrgreen: Now, does anyone know if the caboose will be used? I heard it will be an office! Does anyone else here know anything more? :?:

blueheron13
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by blueheron13 »

Oops, yes I did mean Sunday. As for the Monday NB train, if you have Facebook, here is a post with a video: https://www.facebook.com/james.b.986/vi ... 967295492/
Amateur railfan trying to become a real railfan since 2017.

Robertrains
Railroadfan...fan

blueheron13 wrote:Oops, yes I did mean Sunday. As for the Monday NB train, if you have Facebook, here is a post with a video: https://www.facebook.com/james.b.986/vi ... 967295492/
Thanx blueheron13! It's a good video!!!! I am thinking about the "First" southbound in Wixom! As I mentioned above, I was waiting in Novi and saw the light, then they backed into the yard! I was upset they didn't come south past me since waiting a few hours!!!! We barely got to Wixom in time to see anything!!!! :evil: I heard that old "Chessie Caboose" will be an office! They bought all the cabooses that were used in Plymouth from CSX and the rest will be used as "Shoving Platforms!!!!" Well at least I got something on the "First Day!!!!" LSRC is a lot closer to me now since I live in Roseville!!!! :shock: :D :D :wink: