Tracks/Spur on Eastern Grand River bank?

Any historical questions can be posted here. Answers would certainly help as well :)
kd_1014
Mike

Tracks/Spur on Eastern Grand River bank?

Unread post by kd_1014 »

While walking in Riverside Park on the Northeast side of Grand Rapids, I couldn't help but notice what looked like a railroad truss bridge going over a small stream that emptied into the Grand River a few hundred feet to the west. It's obviously a bike trail now but I was wondering, was there ever a spur/branch line that serviced any type of customer at any time? I know that truss bridges aren't just for railroads but it had a special look to me.

amtrak1007
MP 25 Productions Co-Founder

Re: Tracks/Spur on Eastern Grand River bank?

Unread post by amtrak1007 »

That bridge dates back to when riverside park was a campground and that bridge was for the park road.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/104682379 ... 327661574/

BDG
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by BDG »

It is one span of the former Park St. bridge.

https://historicbridges.org/bridges/bro ... northpark/

PM1946
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by PM1946 »

If I may add my $.02, the bridge at Riverside Park was originally part of a multiple span (looks like five spans in an old photo) 1903 steel truss bridge that carried North Park Avenue across the Grand River. Old and far too narrow, the bridge was replaced in 1989. One of the spans was floated downriver to Riverside Park where it sat on railroad ties until around 1996 when it was restored. Today it spans the northern inlet from the river to the park's lagoons and carries pedestrian and bicycle traffic.

Regarding an old railroad spur in the area, I'm not aware of any. However old pics of what was then the Old Soldiers' and Sailors' Home (on Monroe just south of the I-96 overpass) shows a streetcar line. Presumably it ran into Grand Rapids.

Since I'm far from the final word on any of this, please feel free to join the conversation.

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

PM1946 wrote:If I may add my $.02, the bridge at Riverside Park was originally part of a multiple span (looks like five spans in an old photo) 1903 steel truss bridge that carried North Park Avenue across the Grand River. Old and far too narrow, the bridge was replaced in 1989. One of the spans was floated downriver to Riverside Park where it sat on railroad ties until around 1996 when it was restored. Today it spans the northern inlet from the river to the park's lagoons and carries pedestrian and bicycle traffic.

Regarding an old railroad spur in the area, I'm not aware of any. However old pics of what was then the Old Soldiers' and Sailors' Home (on Monroe just south of the I-96 overpass) shows a streetcar line. Presumably it ran into Grand Rapids.

Since I'm far from the final word on any of this, please feel free to join the conversation.
To add on your last bit, a depot for the streetcar line actually remains and is used for storage on the North end of the Vet's Home property. It is on its original foundation. I've always admired it because it has a very unique design and style. Upon first seeing it the depot reminds me of something that you'd find in the Southwest.
1223 OUT! President and Founder of the Buck Creek Central, the Rolling River Route! (2012-2017) President and Founder of the Lamberton Valley Railroad, The Tin Plate Road! Proudly railfanning with Asperger's since 1996. :)

Michael
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Michael »

MQT1223 wrote:To add on your last bit, a depot for the streetcar line actually remains and is used for storage on the North end of the Vet's Home property. It is on its original foundation. I've always admired it because it has a very unique design and style. Upon first seeing it the depot reminds me of something that you'd find in the Southwest.

Here is a plat map from 1907 of the Home for Veterans (Soldiers Home) showing the Grand Rapids Railway.
http://www.historicmapworks.com/Map/US/ ... /Michigan/
The depot you referenced is not shown but I looked at it on Google Street View
https://goo.gl/maps/7Gt32p8WAan
and it certain has the southwest style. I noticed on topo maps from the 60's and 70's it was later used as a church/chapel so perhaps it was modified at that point.

Standard Railfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Standard Railfan »

MQT1223 wrote:
To add on your last bit, a depot for the streetcar line actually remains and is used for storage on the North end of the Vet's Home property. It is on its original foundation. I've always admired it because it has a very unique design and style. Upon first seeing it the depot reminds me of something that you'd find in the Southwest.
I am not convinced that the building you describe was a depot on the GR RR. The building seems too large fo be a street car station. In addition, the Sanborn map from c. 1912 depicts an identically shaped building of stucco on metal lath construction as a recreation building. A platform is shown along the tracks attached to the dormitory building adjacent to the post office. https://www.loc.gov/resource/g4114gm.g0 ... 14,1.138,0

Michael
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Michael »

Thanks for posting the Sanborn Maps Standard Railfan. It does seem very unlikely that building was ever the depot.

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

Standard Railfan wrote:
MQT1223 wrote:
I am not convinced that the building you describe was a depot on the GR RR. The building seems too large fo be a street car station. In addition, the Sanborn map from c. 1912 depicts an identically shaped building of stucco on metal lath construction as a recreation building. A platform is shown along the tracks attached to the dormitory building adjacent to the post office. https://www.loc.gov/resource/g4114gm.g0 ... 14,1.138,0
Ahh, maybe it was. It sure seems to match up to the ROW so that I assumed it to be a depot.
1223 OUT! President and Founder of the Buck Creek Central, the Rolling River Route! (2012-2017) President and Founder of the Lamberton Valley Railroad, The Tin Plate Road! Proudly railfanning with Asperger's since 1996. :)

amtrak1007
MP 25 Productions Co-Founder

Unread post by amtrak1007 »

MQT1223 wrote:
Ahh, maybe it was. It sure seems to match up to the ROW so that I assumed it to be a depot.
Beware the ides of assumption!