IHB Changes At Gibson

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Indiana.
tttodisp
Railroadfan...fan

IHB Changes At Gibson

Unread post by tttodisp »

CP 28.jpg
The April 2018 "Progressive Railroading" magazine had a piece on 2018 MOW plans for the various railroads. For IHB, they show "Install 2 miles of double track in Hammond ($11 million), starting in first quarter". Also "$5 million for C&S work associated with the double track project, which calls for 1 new interlocking and upgrades to 3 interlockings".

Can anyone provide more details?

FYI - the IHB Daily Operating Bulletin shows:
A. NEW CROSSOVER IN SERVICE BETWEEN CP 28 AND MP 4
Effective 04/25/2018, new right-hand crossover in service approximately fifty (50) feet west of EAS at CP 28. During ongoing construction, both ends of the new crossover will be temporarily spiked and locked in reverse position.

LakeATCS
Railroadfan...fan

Re: IHB Changes At Gibson

Unread post by LakeATCS »

http://www.ihbrr.com/docs/dob/currentdob.doc

New CP Ryan, redone CP Gibson

tttodisp
Railroadfan...fan

Right - I have been watching it all week. The switches at Ryan are not reporting yet. CP 28 is now it's own control point, with CP House retaining the data for 3 & 4 Connecting and CP 28 being Mains 1 & 2.

The trick is going to be figuring out the switch numbers at Gibson, whether they reuse the existing switches or completely renumber them. Signals were not reporting yet as of this morning (same at CP 28).

LakeATCS
Railroadfan...fan

tttodisp wrote:Right - I have been watching it all week. The switches at Ryan are not reporting yet. CP 28 is now it's own control point, with CP House retaining the data for 3 & 4 Connecting and CP 28 being Mains 1 & 2.

The trick is going to be figuring out the switch numbers at Gibson, whether they reuse the existing switches or completely renumber them. Signals were not reporting yet as of this morning (same at CP 28).
CSX and IHB both seem to do a lot of "talk bys" on new interlocking machines.

What MCP address is Gibson using now? For that matter what numbers are House, 28, and Ryan using? Thanks.

For that matter, did anyone figure out where 59th street and 74th street and Metra disappeared too?

tttodisp
Railroadfan...fan

Day 9 of the Gibson cutover.

Gibson 71255610330202
CP 28 71255610320202
CP Ryan 71255610310202
CP House 71255610160202

From a posting on IlliniRail, the Gibson work is the first phase of making 2 MT between Gibson and Calumet Park. I would expect 3 Lead from Ryan to Hohman and No. 3 Siding from Hohman to Calumet Park to become Main 2. A while back when they added the No. 5 siding, they installed a power switch from No. 5 to No. 4 Siding by Hohman, but only using it as an electric lock for the time being. I would also expect that they will install new EB signals (if not both directions) to the west of the existing signals to make the switch part of Hohman.

I have not been paying attention to Metra much, but I will inquire. There is a new address 75100030380102 for CP 15.6 on the Beverly Branch (now apparently CTC); I am working on that now also.

LakeATCS
Railroadfan...fan

Switches 1 thru 6 are on the EAST WEST line, they are numbered from WEST to EAST in order (with 6 being the new siding switch)

Switches 7,8,9,A,B.C, and D, are on the NORTH SOUTH line. 7 is the southernmost crossover, and D being the northernmost crossover, with everything in between numbered in order.

LakeATCS
Railroadfan...fan

Normal position for the wye switches around the diamond is for the route over the diamond. (1,2,9, and A)

tttodisp
Railroadfan...fan

Has anyone seen evidence of new signals going up for Hohman?

LakeATCS
Railroadfan...fan

That is far enough out from Hohman they may put in a separate MCP for those switches.

I think IHB redid Hohman already when the NS stuff went in.

tttodisp
Railroadfan...fan

Based on the description in the DOB and what I see on Google Maps, the new EBCS would only have to be about 500 feet west. The existing signals are pots, so the new practice seems to be using high signals for main tracks.

No. 5 Siding Between Hohman and CP Calumet Park in Service
Effective 0600 CDT October 23, 2017, No. 5 Siding is in service and movements governed by IHB East Dispatcher. GCOR Rule 6.28 in effect and maximum authorized speed is 10 MPH. Dual controlled switch governing movements from No. 4 Siding to No. 5 Siding, at the east end, is temporarily set to hand operation and will be locked with a 109 lock. Switch must be relined and locked normal after use.

LakeATCS
Railroadfan...fan

WAS CP Calumet Park
-
Signal Relocation on No. 3 Siding and No. 4 Siding
Effective 0600 09/27/2018 dwarf signals governing westward movements on No. 3 Siding and No. 4 Siding have been relocated approximately 100 feet east from their former location.

tttodisp
Railroadfan...fan

That shouldn't impact ATCS, although I am curious as to why this change was made now, since they were working at Calumet Park a year ago.

tttodisp
Railroadfan...fan

I wonder if they had to move the dwarf signals to accommodate a new crossover?

LakeATCS
Railroadfan...fan

More IHB changes

http://www.ihbrr.com/docs/dob/currentdob.pdf

#2 active from Ryan to Cal Park

tttodisp
Railroadfan...fan

Finally. So far, the NS view of Hohman has not changed as far as NS bits go, but lots of new bits from IHB changes. I am expecting the usual 4-5 days to complete the cutover.

LakeATCS
Railroadfan...fan

tttodisp wrote:Finally. So far, the NS view of Hohman has not changed as far as NS bits go, but lots of new bits from IHB changes. I am expecting the usual 4-5 days to complete the cutover.
From what I see, they look like they are working on the NS one now.

LakeATCS
Railroadfan...fan

Looks like the usual IHB tactic of just "Just talk them by the red" while you change things is in force.

tttodisp
Railroadfan...fan

IHB standard practice (what do they have, only 2 maintainers for testing?). It does look like the NS side is done and the IHB TK pattern is the same as before. The lock bit for the new #6 switch (to the #5 siding) is active, but not the Normal or Reverse bits (at least as of overnight logs).

LakeATCS
Railroadfan...fan

NS adapter looks like the IHB bits are changed a bit.

I think the first switch bit may be K48 and K47. Not sure yet. They look like they are still working on it.

LakeATCS
Railroadfan...fan

Noticed this in the bulletin.

SIGNAL TESTING AT HohmanEffective 0700 03/11/2019 signal testing begins at Hohmanand continues until further notice. All movements on all routes must stop at home signals at Hohmanregardless of signal indication and not proceed without authority from IHB East Dispatcher