CN's Lansing yards

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
mikekmac
Railroadfan...fan

CN's Lansing yards

Unread post by mikekmac »

There are two CN yards on the southwest side of Lansing, by the GM Delta plant. One, east of Nixon Road, is four tracks on the CN right of way, alongside the Lansing main & industrial tracks. The other is north of Billwood Highway, seven tracks (looks like 4 loading, three storage), probably all on GM land.

Can any Lansing railfans tell me if either of these has an official name (as might appear on a waybill or car routing), and/or an informal name that one might hear the crews or dispatcher use on the radio?

(I'm not asking about Cory Yard, which is adjacent to Snow Road and closer to city center.)

--Mike

NS3322
Railroadfan...fan

Re: CN's Lansing yards

Unread post by NS3322 »

I have heard the yard by the Oldsmobile Plant site and Grand River Assembly being called Sleepy Hollow Yard or simply Hollow Yard.

Check out this thread from a few years ago:
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=33242&hilit=Lansing+Boxcars

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

AFAIK the one at Delta Township is Cory yard, and the one just east of there is Snow yard. I believe the one "downtown" is called Hollow yard.
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/

NSSD70ACe
The Conrail Guru

Unread post by NSSD70ACe »

SD80MAC wrote:AFAIK the one at Delta Township is Cory yard, and the one just east of there is Snow yard. I believe the one "downtown" is called Hollow yard.
The CN timetable I have says the yard east of Nixon is Cory Yard. The one at Snow Road is Snow Yard.
:roll:

the contents of the above post are my opinion and mine alone, and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer.

mikekmac
Railroadfan...fan

NS3322 wrote:I have heard the yard by the Oldsmobile Plant site and Grand River Assembly being called Sleepy Hollow Yard or simply Hollow Yard.
I was talking about the yards by the Delta Township plant, not the ones by the downtown properties on the riverfront (my wife used to work there in a plant that's gone). But I think it's all sorted now. thanks.

mikekmac
Railroadfan...fan

NSSD70ACe wrote:
SD80MAC wrote:AFAIK the one at Delta Township is Cory yard, and the one just east of there is Snow yard. I believe the one "downtown" is called Hollow yard.
The CN timetable I have says the yard east of Nixon is Cory Yard. The one at Snow Road is Snow Yard.
Thanks. Do you know if both parts I described are considered part of Cory?

MiddleMI
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by MiddleMI »

mikekmac wrote:
NSSD70ACe wrote:
No, check out this thread:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=33072&p=349907#p349907

Cory is off of Billwood Highway where it goes under I-69; Snow is significantly further up the line named after Snow Road near the middle of the yard, and generally between Mt. Hope and Milliet highways.

mikekmac
Railroadfan...fan

MiddleMI wrote:
mikekmac wrote:
NSSD70ACe wrote:

Cory is off of Billwood Highway where it goes under I-69; Snow is significantly further up the line named after Snow Road near the middle of the yard, and generally between Mt. Hope and Milliet highways.
I'm not having any trouble distinguishing between Cory and Snow. I've been out at both with my camera. I was attempting to ask if "Cory" includes the seven north-south tracks NORTH of Billwood, adjacent to the plant (if not on it) are considered part of Cory along with the 3 or 4 tracks alongside the main, just east of Nixon.

NSSD70ACe
The Conrail Guru

Unread post by NSSD70ACe »

mikekmac wrote:
MiddleMI wrote:
mikekmac wrote:

I'm not having any trouble distinguishing between Cory and Snow. I've been out at both with my camera. I was attempting to ask if "Cory" includes the seven north-south tracks NORTH of Billwood, adjacent to the plant (if not on it) are considered part of Cory along with the 3 or 4 tracks alongside the main, just east of Nixon.[/quote]

I don't believe so. I will double-check the timetable tonight when I get home to see if there's anything in there but I don't recall anything.
:roll:

the contents of the above post are my opinion and mine alone, and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer.

kckorienek
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by kckorienek »

mikekmac wrote:I'm not having any trouble distinguishing between Cory and Snow. I've been out at both with my camera. I was attempting to ask if "Cory" includes the seven north-south tracks NORTH of Billwood, adjacent to the plant (if not on it) are considered part of Cory along with the 3 or 4 tracks alongside the main, just east of Nixon.
The yard north of Cory Yard is referred to as Autoport, it's not considered a "yard" on CN, it is just an industry that is served by CN.
Kyle Korienek
Owosso, MI

My RP Photos - I'm Kind Of Over This Site
Flickr - I Post Here A Lot More

"I've done stuff I ain't proud of, and the stuff I am proud of is disgusting."

mikekmac
Railroadfan...fan

kckorienek wrote:
mikekmac wrote:I'm not having any trouble distinguishing between Cory and Snow. I've been out at both with my camera. I was attempting to ask if "Cory" includes the seven north-south tracks NORTH of Billwood, adjacent to the plant (if not on it) are considered part of Cory along with the 3 or 4 tracks alongside the main, just east of Nixon.
The yard north of Cory Yard is referred to as Autoport, it's not considered a "yard" on CN, it is just an industry that is served by CN.
Thanks! Just what I needed to know.