Freight trains to be rolling between Ypsi and Jackson

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
Ypsi
The Bestest Railroadfan... fan

Re: Freight trains to be rolling between Ypsi and Jackson

Unread post by Ypsi »

The WB B25 had about 25-30 cars last night, led by an SD40-2. I'm going to try and keep an eye on the starts, but they may have been running from Wayne the last couple times I've heard/ seen them.
"Ann Arbor 2373 Calling... Milkshake. Over"

All Aboard Amtrak: Northbound, Southbound, and My Hometown

Steve B
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Steve B »

Maybe this thread should be moved to the Train Location Updates section.

Ypsi

Unread post by Ypsi »

B25 has been running East by CP 28 between 2am and 2:30am for the last two weeks. Very consistent. Also they have been rating 6 axel power, including wide cabs. Normals 10-20 cars EB with a decent variety. I believe they are running 5 days a week, seems to be Sunday-Thursday starts (10:30pm in JXN). They would be back west around 4 hours after clearing CP28 between 5:30-6:00 am ahead of Amtrak 351.

Ben Higdon
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Ben Higdon »

Ypsi wrote:B25 has been running East by CP 28 between 2am and 2:30am for the last two weeks. Very consistent. Also they have been rating 6 axel power, including wide cabs. Normals 10-20 cars EB with a decent variety. I believe they are running 5 days a week, seems to be Sunday-Thursday starts (10:30pm in JXN). They would be back west around 4 hours after clearing CP28 between 5:30-6:00 am ahead of Amtrak 351.
Thanks for the update. Still hoping to catch them some morning.

Ypsi

Unread post by Ypsi »

Back west CP28 at 6:30am this morning. Seems like 4 hours is about the time they spend East of CP28 most days

Ypsi

Unread post by Ypsi »

Power is currently a pair of SD70M's. They have still been consistent 2-2:30 EB by CP28 and then 6:00-6:45 WB by CP 28. Normally more cars going west than coming east. Tonight was lite power EB. Most mornings they have 6-9 cars EB then 12-30 WB. They have hide wide cabs for the last week or so.

Ypsi

Unread post by Ypsi »

B25 is still running, and has shifted to a more regular later schedule. On most days they are by CP28 eastbound around 2-3am still, but they come back west after Amtrak 351. That puts them by CP28 again at about 8am or so. During the spring and summer hey should easily always be daylighted westbound. Car counts have been between 8 or so and up to 30 cars. Today's B25 seemed to have around 30 cars westbound, they cleared at 8:05 am last 30W.

chapmaja
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by chapmaja »

Ypsi wrote:B25 is still running, and has shifted to a more regular later schedule. On most days they are by CP28 eastbound around 2-3am still, but they come back west after Amtrak 351. That puts them by CP28 again at about 8am or so. During the spring and summer hey should easily always be daylighted westbound. Car counts have been between 8 or so and up to 30 cars. Today's B25 seemed to have around 30 cars westbound, they cleared at 8:05 am last 30W.
Where exactly is CP28?

I know I've heard them near Dexter a couple times, and saw them once, about 8:30 a few weeks ago.

Steve B
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Steve B »

I gather that CP 28 is where the double track ends, between Ford Blvd (MP 27.77) and Michigan Ave (MP 28.71).

Ypsi

Unread post by Ypsi »

CP 28 is the old CP Ypsi.

Accessed at Ypsi ct. and Michigan Ave. Single to Double track.

Dan Cluley
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Dan Cluley »

Are they still running Sun-Thurs?

Ypsi

Unread post by Ypsi »

Yes depart Jackson Sunday-Thursday on duty around 22:00, arrive back at Jackson Monday-Friday around 09:00.

Southern Man
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Southern Man »

Hello all, I'm new to the area and trying to understand the operations between Amtrak, and Norfolk Southern. Do I understand correctly that the state owns the line? Does NS provide freight service on the line the whole way, or just between Jackson and the Detroit area? Thanks!

Farmboybello
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Farmboybello »

Southern Man wrote:Hello all, I'm new to the area and trying to understand the operations between Amtrak, and Norfolk Southern. Do I understand correctly that the state owns the line? Does NS provide freight service on the line the whole way, or just between Jackson and the Detroit area? Thanks!
Amtrak owns the line from Porter, Indiana to Kalamazoo and MDOT owns the line from Kalamazoo to Dearborn. NS provides freight service to all the customers located between Porter and Dearborn.
Railroad right of ways are for railroads, not bikes.

Ypsi

Unread post by Ypsi »

An update on the running of B25, they are still on a Sunday night through Thursday night schedule, running east from Jackson in the late evening and returning from Wayne in the early morning. Most days they are running ahead of Amtrak 351. NS has been attempting to route loads via their own trains, and empties via the Grand Elk. This has resulted in a mixed bag of train lengths between Kalamazoo and Jackson, and Jackson and Wayne. It creates almost a circle routing for the freight going between Jackson and the NS System.

Wednesday morning I caught a late running B25 by Signal 30 at 0930 with a GP38-2, and two SD40-2's hauling 42 cars. By far that is the largest B25 I have caught after mostly seeing 6-15 car trains. Last night they ran east at around 2:30am with what sounded like a short train by CP28, and returned west with another short train well before 351.

Ypsi

Unread post by Ypsi »

B25 has a new later start time. They now start at midnight per a post on FB. This is due to using the B33 power. Yesterday I saw them WB at 9:50a and today they were WB at 7:50a. Should be later running in the morning how, consistently afternoon Amtrak.