Amtrak questions

Posts that don't fit in the other train categories. Off Subject Chit Chat I tell you. :)
redcrumbox
Railroadfan...fan

Amtrak questions

Unread post by redcrumbox »

Does Amtrak currently use bio-diesel? I was reading about the trial run of the Heartland flyer back in the day when Amtrak was a charter member of the Chicago Climate Exchange. What were the results of that test?

Secondly, what percentage of the electricity used by Amtrak comes from solar and wind power?
Old EMD’s are the gift that keeps on giving.

Trainman2223
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Amtrak questions

Unread post by Trainman2223 »

"Does Amtrak currently use bio-diesel? I was reading about the trial run of the Heartland flyer back in the day when Amtrak was a charter member of the Chicago Climate Exchange. What were the results of that test? "

Best I could find is:

"Amtrak used a $274,000 federal grant to start a year-long biofuel experiment this month using beef by-products to power the Heartland Flyer, a route that travels from Oklahoma City to Fort Worth, Texas in an attempt to reduce emissions and find alternative fuels. So far, however, the experiment doesn't look like a sustainable alternative."

April 29, 2010. From: https://www.cbsnews.com/news/amtraks-bi ... enwashing/

April 26, 2010. From: https://www.popsci.com/technology/artic ... r-train-us

"what percentage of the electricity used by Amtrak comes from solar and wind power?"

Could not find pinpoint numbers my best guess would be 0% if we are talking about the acela and electric powered trains...might be solar panels charging batteries for various track side equipment.
Semper Fi

“I bought a perfect second car... a tow truck.”
Rodney Dangerfield

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Unread post by Saturnalia »

Trainman2223 wrote: "what percentage of the electricity used by Amtrak comes from solar and wind power?"

Could not find pinpoint numbers my best guess would be 0% if we are talking about the acela and electric powered trains...might be solar panels charging batteries for various track side equipment.
Depends on whatever they're buying off the grid.

You could also count regenerative braking if you *really* wanted to, for green energy :P

Good thing Ocasio-Cortez likes trains, or else we'd be out of business like the airlines by 2030! :lol: :roll:
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

DaveO
Read more, think more, post less

Unread post by DaveO »

Saturnalia wrote:
Good thing Ocasio-Cortez likes trains, or else we'd be out of business like the airlines by 2030! :lol: :roll:
What has that got to do with anything other than being a one-sided political cheap shot?

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

DaveO wrote:
Saturnalia wrote:
What has that got to do with anything other than being a one-sided political cheap shot?
Well if she is to be believed, we'll all be travelling intercity on nationwide electric trains by 2030 powered by 100% wind and solar, so there's that.

DaveO

Unread post by DaveO »

Saturnalia wrote:
DaveO wrote:
Saturnalia wrote:
Well if she is to be believed, we'll all be travelling intercity on nationwide electric trains by 2030 powered by 100% wind and solar, so there's that.
There are liberal minded people on this forum you know. Want us to take cheap shots at conservative points of view?
How about let's discuss trains and include politics when it's actually relevant to the topic at hand?

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

DaveO wrote:
Saturnalia wrote: Well if she is to be believed, we'll all be travelling intercity on nationwide electric trains by 2030 powered by 100% wind and solar, so there's that.
There are liberal minded people on this forum you know. Want us to take cheap shots at conservative points of view?
How about let's discuss trains and include politics when it's actually relevant to the topic at hand?
Go ahead. I just don't have much patience for those who want to literally legislate us back to the stone age.

redcrumbox
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by redcrumbox »

I did eventually find this. This was a test GE did after a year of running bio. Numbers are about the same. It was noted there was an increase of 1.3% fuel consumption in DB and idle with the bio. Guess it wasn't enough to justify using bio over regular diesel.
Attachments
Capture13.JPG
Capture.JPG
Old EMD’s are the gift that keeps on giving.

Standard Railfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Standard Railfan »

redcrumbox wrote: Secondly, what percentage of the electricity used by Amtrak comes from solar and wind power?
I do not know if Amtrak buys “green” power for facilities such as stations signals offices etc.

I do know that about 22% of the nameplate capacity of the traction power generation for the NEC comes from the Safe Harbor Dam hydroelectric plant.

Edit: Amtrak does have a “green power purchasing policy”. I can find no data related to the amount of power purchased under this program.

DaveO

Unread post by DaveO »

Saturnalia wrote:
DaveO wrote:
Saturnalia wrote: Well if she is to be believed, we'll all be travelling intercity on nationwide electric trains by 2030 powered by 100% wind and solar, so there's that.
Go ahead. I just don't have much patience for those who want to literally legislate us back to the stone age.
Biodiesel can have additional cold weather issues compared to regular diesel.
Regular diesel isn't immune to cold weather without additives either.

But I'm sure our science major president who knows better than us would dispute that.